Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Braid Problem

I have been using braided line for only a short time now (about a year) and have noticed at times the line will spin on the spool (spinning reels). I am assuming that the line is loose all the way down on the spool. Any advise on what is causing this and what I can do to stop it other than spooling the line off and rewinding it. I do not back the braid up with mono and do not know if I would want to--do not know why just not sure I want to. :huh

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,246 Admiral
    because braid is slick the easiest way to solve the problem is run a mono under wrap two times around the entire spool and then attach braid with a uni to uni and spool the rest with braid.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    A pc of electrical tape on the spool or I just put 3 half hitches over the spool with the braid and never have any slipage.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • Hawk232Hawk232 Posts: 327 Officer
    what troutman said except i use duct tape. as long as you put something down there with some grip to it (not scotch tape) you will be fine. i have even used the white tabs that come on a new spool of line with excellent results. mono work work as well, but the more knots you have the more potential for breaks and tangles
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,571 Captain
    I use a mono backing because you never need more than 100 yds of braid. Completely filling up an inshore reel with braid is a waste of money.

If a fish ever takes out more than 100 yds of brain, you'll appreciate that stretchy mono.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    I use a mono backing because you never need more than 100 yds of braid. Completely filling up an inshore reel with braid is a waste of money.

If a fish ever takes out more than 100 yds of brain, you'll appreciate that stretchy mono.

Not necesserally....if you have a reel that will take 150 yrds of braid I would fill it completely with braid and use it for a while then walk off all the line and reel it in in reverse and it's like getting new line. Like i started before if you know how to do a normal half hitch then just put 3 half hitches over the bare spool and it will never slip and you wont have that extra knot there to interfere with casting or adding a weak point. Most 3000 series reel will take a reel filler spool of 15lb braid (150 yards) anything over a 3000 series in not really suited for inshore anyway(too heavy).
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    ....if you have a reel that will take 150 yrds of braid I would fill it completely with braid and use it for a while then walk off all the line and reel it in in reverse and it's like getting new line......

:Agree
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Deckhand
    I always just tie it to the little line holder tab on the spool and then wind it on. I've never had a problem with slippage.
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    The little white tabs that come on the spool works excellent
  • gbaswolfgbaswolf Posts: 268 Officer
    I'm confused.
    Not necesserally....if you have a reel that will take 150 yrds of braid I would fill it completely with braid and use it for a while then walk off all the line and reel it in in reverse and it's like getting new line.
    Every time I reel in reverse(back reel) the line comes off my reel. Just sayin:rotflmao Now if I flip my spinning reel over(with the reel now on top) and reel it in reverse this might work. Sorry, just messin' with you
    Tight lines!:fishing