Home General Paddle Craft

Islamorada 2-22-12

Launched at about 7am. Tide was coming in so I went ou back looking for a bonefish. Long story short..saw one fish that blew out. When the tide turned, I peddled out to a bridge and to see if I might be able find a permit or some snappers. I wasn't even thinking tarpon because I don't remember them being at the bridges this early. But when I got there I immediately had some big marks on the fish finder and was very excited to look down to see a huge school of poons under the yak, completely unconcerned with my prescence!

f8e2c755.jpg

I re-set, fired a live shrimp and put an 80 pounder in the air! Chased that one around the bridge before getting wrapped! Re-set again and had a solid take a few minutes later. This fish stayed down and I started thinking jack. He went between a couple pilings and I peddled like mad to get up in front of this one. Then the fish made a big jump!-tarpon! After that this fish lit up the afterburners and ran away from the bridge! I didn't want to put too much heat on him at this point and just peddled the PA hard, just trying to stay between the fish and the bridge. At about a 1/4 mile from the bridge I started putting the screws to the fish and was rewarded with a couple nice jumps.

2b946cce.jpg

After that the fish stayed on the bottom and headed offshore. After a few harrowing moments with a channel marker and a couple pots, I was able to start lifting the **** and each time I did I hit him with a a low blow and upended him.

45023211.jpg
Trying to go for the channel marker!

After 4 times of doing that the fish relented and I got the release! Nice fish of about 50lbs. Oh did I mention that I was using a 4000 Stella/Loomis and 10lb? My FIRST tarpon from the kayak!

f44f6e44.jpg
Just before release.

Went back to the bridge and jumped another smaller **** that ran between four spans before I bike him. On the way in I ran into another kayaker who had a redfish. I had no idea reds even got down to Islamorada! In fact they had caught about 20 slot sized reds over the past few days!

999034be.jpg

Great day in the Keys!

19252acc.jpg

Replies