i'ding a blank

is there a way to id a blank? im getting a rod that my buddy is building right now i am trading him a sub for it and i asked him what blank it was and he said a mystery blank. all i know is that its a black blank like every other one on the market. lol 15-30 lb and he said its between the action of a king fish rod and a snook rod. i will see if he can get the tip size and the butt size if that helps any. it looks like its gonna be a decent rod from the pic he sent me.
ted.gif
ted.gif

Replies

• monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    here is a pic of the rod he sent me off his phone. he has 1 guide left and has to coat it. he said it should be done some time this week.

7687899caf.jpg

he is going to do the same decorative wrap on the ends of the split grip i think.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • scHAkscHAk Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    No way to Id the blank from the pic. There is no way that spiral wrap is going to work. You can't use regular guide spacing. The point is to get the line to the bottom of the rod before the point of flex. This setup is going to add more torque on the blank and I'll be the line will touch the blank under load.
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    No real way to ID the blank once it's built. You could run the CCS numbers on a bare blank & get a general idea but not the manufacturer or even model.

You can certainly spiral wrap that rod. You're guide placement will depend on the shut off point of the blank and what style spiral wrap you're doing. A simple spiral only uses 1 guide to make the transition which is ok for bottom fishing or free lining bait as you're not really casting. A revolver or O'Quin spiral uses more guides in varying angles to move the line. The kicker is getting the line on the bottom before the blank's shut off point.
    I've never really worried with line touching the blank under load but going beneath it between 2 guides in an on top set up is a no no. This creates a point where the line is pulling the 2 guides together and will put a blank in a terrible bind and will cause a failure.
    I hope that makes some sense.
    He taped the guides on before he wrapped and did a bunch if static tests. Every casting rod I own other then 1 is acid wrapped by him and they all work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    monoxide wrote: »
    He taped the guides on before he wrapped and did a bunch if static tests. Every casting rod I own other then 1 is acid wrapped by him and they all work great.

There's no reason that it won't work but (and I hate to say this) there are some presentations that a spiral wrap might not be ideal. But they are pretty specific.
    I like sprial wraps because a lot of Rods get stollen where I'm from and if they end up in the pawn shop I'll know they are mine.

ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • scHAkscHAk Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    The kicker is getting the line on the bottom before the blank's shut off point.

Bingo. The 1st 180 degree guide can't even be seen in your pic and is near the tip of the rod putting more torque on the blank than if just conventionally wrapped.
    The first transition guide is close to the but and then it goes under

ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    I'd say if its fast or ex-fast, its usable, although definitely not ideal.
  • tuna mantuna man Posts: 628 Officer
    To me with spiral wrapping you wind Up with the line on the wrong side of the rod.