• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,890 Admiral
    Very nice!
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
    I need to order some accessories now.
    Video-DSLR-Camera-600x424.jpg
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    on my hp 1600x900 monitor i can't tell the difference except several thousand $$$$

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Probably of interest to less that 1/4 of 1% of the participants on this website. :drink
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    The point is technology trickle down as Nikon replaces their lower-down-the-scale bodies. Did I really have to explain that?
    Do you really think people are so dumb that they do not already know that?
    both canon and nikon have been practicing "trickle down" to their entry level bodies for years....
    the primary difference anymore is the "build" of their upper end and entry cameras....
    canon did screw up with their 60d when they decided to change from metal to plastic for the body, and also changed from cf cards to sd cards...they should have at least put slots for both kinds of media....
    i have a fortune tied up in cf cards and don't want to spend a bunch of $$$ on new media....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    Do you really think people are so dumb that they do not already know that?

OK, I will bite. With the exception of you, no I don't and if you did then what is the point of your smart *** first post.
    Not a smart *** post, just a fact. :wink
  • GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    Probably of interest to less that 1/4 of 1% of the participants on this website. :drink

Well, let's see. I'm totally interested in it. I've already put a deposit down on a Nikon D800E and might upgrade my D700 to a D4 at sometime in the further future. Maybe not on the last as I love my D700 a lot. So yes, it's of interest to me. Now, I know the other Craig is interested so that's two of us. There's probably a few more. Tim has shown some interest. Canepole has also to some degree.

Now given we're concentrated on the Photography Corner, I would imaginge that two of us are far more than .25% of those on this particular forum. Given that, I appreciate the video being posted for sure. Not all of us are owners of entry-level plastic cameras. Some of us want our tools to be a little sturdier. I do. I know Tim uses a magnesium bodied Canon 40D. Dave uses a magnesium bodied Nikon D200. Both my D300 and D700 are solid pro-level gear. Most of my glass is. We Nikon boys don't get a red ring, but we don't need a stinkin' red ring. ;)
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • barlow46barlow46 Posts: 312 Deckhand
    I would be honored to be in that 1/4 of 1% so sign me up please....
    East Coast Florida
    http://www.adorama.com/ILXPCF1K32.html

32gb 1000X for DSLR video....Nice!

$399 ouch!!!!!!
    Isn't that price where compact memory started when the DSLR entered the market ten years ago. $400 was $$$$ then.....not that I am saying it's right for today.

Also, weren't the first compact flash cards like one gig?

Besides the price will come down when production ramps up, always does.
    Should have my 800 any day now....
    548500_10150615621808244_344509578243_9202051_252751292_n.jpg
    A superb camera (sensor) in the lab. I have yet to see real world photos I can tell the difference with compared to the D700. Many want to compare it to MF, especially since DxO says the sensor is better than the Phase MF sensor. The D800 equal to MF? Ah, no.

Also, get ready to upgrade your Lightroom, PS CS to CS6. That is the only way to handle the Nikon Raw codec for the D800, that is unless you are one of the half-dozen who use the crappy Nikon/NIK software.

Fire a bunch then post some up. Also, post some raw files somewhere, where we can down load and look at them. I have Boxee and Dropbox accounts. That should work.

Finally, and most importantly, are you ready to sell me your D700 yet?

Good luck with the new body. We will be waiting for a real work report from someone we know.
  • jamespit256jamespit256 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Nice video comparison between Nikon D4 and Nikon D800
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    Should have my 800 any day now....

I hope you have already purchased a new computer with an I7 quad 4 processor, 16g of ram, and a minimum 1tb hard drive (2tb or more recommended depending on how much you shoot). I have a new computer (3 mos ago) with an I5 dual core processor, 8g of ram and a 320g hard drive - USB3 and a USB3 card reader, and the D800's files are so large I have to wait forever for images to download. Have talked to Nikon about this and they suggested an I7 quad 4 processor, 16g of ram, etc., etc. I'm sure similar specs if you are a Mac person.
    problem is....
    dxo has no numbers on the canon 1dx for comparison...
    i think the 1dx may outperform the d800...
    we shall see...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002