Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Sportsmanship in Boca Grande Pass

Greetings all,

I'm from Orlando and got to experience tarpon fishing today in the Boca Grande Pass. I have never had or seen such an experience in my life. It was truly a sight to be seen. I have to commend the professionals that were in the pass today, they are true sportsman. The process is truly a frenzy and I never heard a raised voice. Everyone knew what to do and when without saying a word to one another. The only thing I heard spoken was guys calling one another by name to say hello or to ask how they have been.

It was a positive experience that you don't see very often any more.

Regards to all!

Replies

• BruteBrute Posts: 164 Officer
    Glad to hear their behavior has improved. About 15 years ago a huge barge pushed by a tugboat used to come and go through the pass regularly. I think it had something to do with those oil tanks that used to be there.
    One day the barge was leaving the pass and was bearing down on the usual cluster of tarpon boats. An unbelievable scene then unfolded.
    The fishing boats wouldn't get out of the way, even though the overhang of the barge's bow was literally looming over their heads! The tug's captain was blasting the horn and a deckhand was up on the bow of the barge, jumping up and down, shouting, and gesticulating wildly at the boats under his feet.
    Then, at the last possible moment, the boats scooted out of the way, one by one. If one of those motors had stalled, someone would have been killed. I wouldn't have believed grown men could act like that if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes! All in the name of catching an inedible fish! :n
  • ScottKScottK Posts: 217 Deckhand
    Spend some time down there, you'll discover that nothing has changed. You got lucky with the day you chose.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,848 AG
    ScottK is right on. Those idiots are still there.
  • SnookslangerSnookslanger Posts: 1,320 Officer
    I have fished the pass a good amount. Some days are smooth and everyone is cooperative. Other days the 'owners' of the pass come out and no one does anything right.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbaaKhJZWMOL6wbI1uz1gMkBQR94dtr2Dn__x8NwzcVDRiVW5Gb-cOL-oj
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,921 Captain
    I have fished the pass a good amount. Some days are smooth and everyone is cooperative. Other days the 'owners' of the pass come out and no one does anything right.

Dave Mar. . . . .? Eh, nevermind.

Sincerely,

Awesome-O
  • Capt VanCapt Van Posts: 20 Deckhand
    TGunn wrote: »
    Dave Mar. . . . .? Eh, nevermind.

Sincerely,

Awesome-O

Hey..wait..he does have the title deed to pass in his pocket, you know!! "Hey you are fishing in my spot and I'm a guide making a living"

Isn't he the guy that goes by "The Pro-Fishional"? TOOL
  • Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 743 Officer
    There is still the ocasional 'verbal altercation' but as a whole this year has been a positive turn around.
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!
    There is still the ocasional 'verbal altercation' but as a whole this year has been a positive turn around.

Were you actually able to type that with a straight face? We were intentionally rammed by one of the PTTS boats this year. I suppose the quote the captain left us with "There, you deserve that sh$t" is the verbal altercation that you are referring to.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,848 AG
    PTTS blows and anyone who fishes it is an idiot.
  • Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 743 Officer
    It is definitely a different type of fishing, some love it, some hate it. I personally stay respectful to everyone out there, make sure my clients have the time of their lives and enjoy every minute of it.
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 810 Officer
    Sounds like we hit it on a good day and was still a good experience. We've decided to come back next year, but will probably pick up a different guide. If anyone knows of any terrorist types that we should stay away from or has a good recommendation, send me a PM.

Otherwise the wife and I are heading that way with the boat around Labor Day and wil be fishing Lemon Bay and around Stump Pass. This will be our third year with the same trip. We appreciate the hospitality.
  • FlyinPilchardFlyinPilchard Posts: 88 Deckhand
    As always verbal abuse is still free
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    I can get enough room in PISound so there is no way I will ever get involved with a scenario like that....ever. Easiest thing to do is just fish somewhere else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Posts: 1,255 Officer
    PTTS blows and anyone who fishes it is an idiot.

Boca Beacon June 24, 2011 reports that PTTS promoter written up for no tarpon tag by Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission on Saturday June 11 at 8 a.m. in Boca Grande Pass : Statute 68B-32.003
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    I like Joe Mercurio but I can't stand the ridiculous rodeo he presides over, or the participating schmoes operating those stupid floating billboards.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,905 AG
    Boca Beacon June 24, 2011 reports that PTTS promoter written up for no tarpon tag by Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission on Saturday June 11 at 8 a.m. in Boca Grande Pass : Statute 68B-32.003

Typical Beacon hatchet job in their relentless crusade against "off islanders".

"According to the inspection/warning form issued by the FWC Division of Law Enforcement, Joseph Mercurio, 29, of Sarasota was also warned about not having a fishing license on his person."

Was he cited? Which includes an NTE or fine? Or did he receive a written warning for "educational" purposes.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,667 Captain
    As an add on to Scott's statements, it was my boat that was hit....

And then during the mens championship we hooked up. The fish was running at one of the participants (team 717 if I remember correctly the guy that rammed us was team Reelfish). He was acting like he had a fish on as well our lines were crossing, he wasn't moving. I am on him and our lines are literally touching so I went to the bow to release the drag and get it untangled. Then the **** says, "I have the bottom", snap...there goes our fish. I LOVE the PTTS...

Needless to say, there was a short verbal altercation to the affect, "CUT YOUR F-ING line then d-head". Or something to that affect. But to not move and cause me to lose my fish because these jack-@ces are in the stupid tournament was ridiculous.

Then the day before during the ladies day tournament 2 well known captains who were NOT in the tournament started screaming at each other and throwing full sodas at each other. That had to be a nice conversation with your paying crew members...

All jig tournaments should be banned in the pass. It would keep the total yahoo nascar captains out of the pass because the only reason they are there is the tournaments.

Overall, in the 13 or 14 years I have fished there, very few incidents. Add money to it and people become A-Holes unfortunately.

And this isn't all tournaments. The live bait tournaments I have been around are generally pretty entertaining. They are normally during the afternoon drifts though where people are way more spread out in general. I am not anti jig, I beleive it is an affective tool in the pass but the tournaments and the nascar mentality has to stop. It spooks the fish to the point they aren't fishable and causes a lot of ridiculousness that is not at all necessary.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    Good post Bly, thanks. My personal observation and recollections is that the locals don't care if you're not an islander and want to fish the pass. Just try to keep some semblance of order. What they do object to is exactly what you describe. I've watched that PTTS fiasco in person and on TV. Like other events that draw money - bad for sportsmen, bad for the sport and its reputation.

It was on TV last night and the couple of minutes I had it on a giant hammerhead was chasing a hooked tarpon and another boat repeatedly tried to (and did I think) run over the shark. Back & forth he went running across the shark's back.
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Posts: 1,255 Officer
    Typical Beacon hatchet job in their relentless crusade against "off islanders".

"According to the inspection/warning form issued by the FWC Division of Law Enforcement, Joseph Mercurio, 29, of Sarasota was also warned about not having a fishing license on his person."

Was he cited? Which includes an NTE or fine? Or did he receive a written warning for "educational" purposes.

Boca Beacon did print that he was warned for not having a fishing license on his person. The citation was for no tarpon tag & transporting the tarpon; then printed the statute.
    Joe Mercurio did not receive a citation for violating a fisheries regulation.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    I don't believe for a minute Joe transported a tarpon. He'd have to put the microphone down in order to do so.
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    So what was the reason he was cited or warned? How could you be cited if your not fishing? What did he do wrong?

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

You would think that a Pulitzer prize winning newspaper would have investigated and reported the circumstances. But they weren't there, didn't know who at FWC to contact to get the information and used a publicity shot of Joe advertising one of his sponsor's watches as a mug shot.

• capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    << PTTS blows and anyone who fishes it is an idiot.>>

I agree. The fishing is ridiculous to say the least. It’s not fishing in the least bit. Seen it been there done it. I’ve jigged the pass for nearly 60 days straight for yrs. during the mos. of May in June beginning in the early 90’s when “Jigging became popular through FS. I was young, dumb, and the fit right in and became friends with the best of the best old timers, many of whom since retired or moved on to other things. Back then it was chaos and the pass was run by a dozen or so, who thought they owned the pass (Most from the Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco County regions), and these days, it’s no different, just different faces, fancier boats, and a more diverse guide origin. What I quickly realize back then, it’s a lazy way to put your client on tarpon. The bumps and your direction to REEL REEL REEL, aren’t bites in the true sense. Most all are fish running into your line, jig, etc. Wake Up people; it’s nothing more than a scam if you will, leading the client to believe he/she just hooked Florida’s infamous Silver King of the inshore waters. It offers an opportunity for 50 out of town opportunists, to market to the angling world “Guaranteed to see Tarpon – Guaranteed to get bit”. Throw in to the equation, 70 years of an established reputation of being the “Tarpon Capital of the world”, convenience of pickup points, short distance boat travel, and what seems like an endless supply of Tarpon frothing around to justify a guide’s $400-$600 ( 4 hr. fee), and an endless supply of out of state anglers ($) filling up 2 and sometimes 3 slots per day per guide, and you have a money well for the guides willing to work the system. In the end however, it’s not true sport fishing! If anything, it’s fckng up the fishery. I’m seeing less and less tarpon every year. Hill tide? What hill tide? Any yahoo with a boat, bottom machine, 4 grouper rods, some led, hooks, leader, reasonable boat maneuvering skills, thick skin and loud voice, a 1 day course in pass fishing, and you now have a BG Jig guide! Drop any of those guys in 10k for a week with nothing more than a plug and a rod and see if they can catch a ****………….doubt it. Reel guides/anglers can catch tarpon ANYWHERE.

On a few occasions, I brought up a couple of “well Known” guides up from the Keys and the Everglades to fish with me in BG (Beaches & Harbor) and we idle through BG Pass to observe the idiocy, and every time………..we all just laugh!

First & 2nd time anglers would have a much better time, and serious anglers better opportunities to experience the full thrill of light tackle tarpon angling in the Keys, Flamingo, 10k and even the gulf beaches from FMB N to Homosassa, with less hazard to their health and minimal (If any) boat traffic, and much better scenery (Esp. down south) vs. fishing the pass with 50lb grouper tackle, heavy drags and smog from all of the outboards in one tiny area; knowing the last 4 hits you got and the last fish you jumped were really not hooked..lol Fly anglers are wasting their time and Big $ in BG. Stick with 10k or the Keys.

Back to the main topic…sportsmanship? YOU HAVE NOT FISHED BG PASS OR EVEN THE SURROUNDING BEACHES EVEN A LITTLE BIT, if you think sportsmanship exists! If one of them idiots intentionally ram into your boat, beat their **** simple as that. If they insult or verbally abuse you, call their azzes out and invite them to the beach for an **** beating, and see who really is man enough to back up their attitude…………….VERY Few……..if any. Make an example of one, and that will tone down their attitudes, esp. the young dumb idiots………I know, I was once one!
  • gatormarkgatormark Posts: 2,240 Officer
    The pass is a circus, and the short drifting jiggers are the clowns. was fishing the channel 2 bridge in Islamorada for a week and it was so nice to see boats do theyre drift, swing out on either side of the channel and beagin another drift. Nobody runs over the fish which keeps the bite hot. Then again you find a different breed of fisherman in the keys. These yo, yos who fish the pass out of theyer logo wrapped boats spend the time between bites sucking down beer on the beach and generally showing theyre ***. We were heading south from our place and there were six or seven of the nascar tower boats all tied together just north of the pass in the middle of the day throwing down beers like there was no tommorow( we glassed them) and low and behold a few hours later they are back in the pass fishing the falling tide. What class.