St. Aug Looking for Kings and finding cobes

Put the boat in at 6AM, had pogies (small) by 6:20 and were trolling at Desco by 7. Water was cold and we could only manage one bonito early so we hung up the trolling gear and tried dropping some pogies down below. Our first drop resulted in a triple header of sharks but the third shark to the boat was followed by a big cobia. My buddy Don kept the shark in the water while the other two of us scrambled to get him some breakfast. I took my weight off and tossed a couple of squished pogies out for chum. The big cobe sucked one in without a hook and then spit it. I thought, oh, you're going to be one of those huh? But she came around and took mine and spit it and then took it again and I came tight, lifted her a bit and the small circle hook I had on just never got the bite it needed. I thought it was over but she was determined to keep eating and took my buddies pogie only to have that one pull too. Don kept the shark in the water the entire time and the cobe wouldn't leave it. I cut my rig off and tied on an 8/0 circle and cut a long belly strip from the bonito that we had saved for bait. It worked much better and the big fish sucked it in, came tight and the fight was on. She circled the boat on the surface a couple of times almost coming into gaff range and I thought it was going to be easy but then she decided she had had enough sun and pointed her big head down and proceeded to kick my **** for the next 20 minutes as I tried to keep her out of the bottom. We finally got her back to the surface and only had the narrow hook gaff (I like that one better for kings and we left the big one at home). I told my fishing partner to get the hook in deep just behind the pectoral fin - he must have thought that was the one on the back because he barely got the gaff under the dorsal - in the photo you can see the in and out on the back of the fish. For future reference, this is the perfect location to gaff a large cobe as the fin is apparently extremely tough, you don't really hit any meat and, unbelievably, the gaff did not pull out as we both worked to lift the 50 pounder over the rail. Sweet!

attachment.php?attachmentid=1613&d=1309316823

That was about all the fishing excitement for the day. We caught a couple more bonito, 563 sharks and one pinfish - yeah, we couldn't even catch grunts on the bottom. We saw tons of bait, big sharks on the surface - two hammers and a lemon, one big ray with cobes that would not bite and a thousand porpoise. We got some great photos of the porpoise under the bow. Just an unbelievable amount of life out there today but no kings. Water temp was 75 on the beach and 77 at Desco early warming to 78 by noon when we came in to beat the rain.

Sorry about various picture sizes, still getting used to new interface.

E

Replies

• IdratherbefishingIdratherbefishing Posts: 168 Officer
    Nice Cobia...a fish like that can definitely save a slow fishing day!
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,410 Officer
    Nice report and cobia. Well done. Although I really like circle hooks for bottom fishing I’ve not had the best luck with circles and cobia. Glad it worked out. Sweet fish (and report).
    Brian
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,791 Captain
    :beer nice cobia
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Afishy1Afishy1 Posts: 676 Officer
    Very Nice Cobe!. Very nice report Captain. Thanks.:Rockon
  • watteverwattever Posts: 153 Officer
    awesome cobia congrats
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 640 Officer
    Nice report and cobia. Well done. Although I really like circle hooks for bottom fishing I’ve not had the best luck with circles and cobia. Glad it worked out. Sweet fish (and report).
    Brian

Yeah, that had something to do with the first two misses on this fish too. You have to have a circle with a large bite - like 8/0 or so and then your really have to let them pull it into their jaw which is not easy to do when they are 10 feet away - and when they weigh 50lbs! I use mono line which helps some but right next to the boat it's really easy to give it a yank to set it and you just can't do that with circles.
  • ReeltightReeltight Posts: 204 Deckhand
    Nice fish
  • Steve SuttonSteve Sutton Posts: 122 Officer
    SUPER Bottlenose picture.......got anymore of those?

Nice fish as well but thats a great shot of the Porpoise.....

Steve
  • Smackaho Fishin TribeSmackaho Fishin Tribe Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Nice cobe keep a live blue or peeler bite-size in the live well for the "man in the brown suit", never seen one spit a live crab also stun pogey thump him on the head not to hard u have 2 test out a few thumps and makes em flutter if no weight, then skip pogey across hood of motor into water with hook in best way use to cut one of the 2 tail fins top or bottom same effect swimmin fast in circles drives cobes and kings nuts also it makes them flash while wiggling
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC](Never trust a woman or a fart):Bike:kick
  • madashellmadashell Posts: 816 Officer
    :Rockon:Rockon very nice.
    I will hit the lottery...I will hit the lottery :crossed