Need help in Oviedo

My girlfriend and I just moved up here to Orlando and I am looking for somewhere to take her to go bass fishing. Please keep the places where we can fish from shore. I used to fish golf courses down in south florida. Is there any good courses for fishing around my area. What kind of baits do you use up here?

helpless in oviedo :banghead

Replies

• JF1shJF1sh Posts: 452 Officer
    What intersection are you near in Oviedo? I could give you some spots. A lot of the good lakes require boats and/or they are private. There's tons of small to medium sized ponds in neighborhoods around the area that have some big bass. For some reason all the neighborhoods hate when people fish their ponds though. You can usually get a good hour or 2 in before someone yells at you to get out.
  • UFGatorGuy20UFGatorGuy20 Posts: 38 Deckhand
    I'm an East Orlando guy. I used to live in UCF's backyard in University Estates. That neighborhood has a couple decent sized lakes. But, they have experienced really high fishing pressure in recent years due to a higher student population. Security has really cracked down on non-residents fishing in there. You'd be taking a chance going in there. Even when I lived there with my parents I would get asked if I was a resident. Even when I still visit my parents and go fishing with them, I get asked if I'm a resident or visitor. They might as well just gate the place. Carillon has some good lakes too, but it's the same situation. Same with Stillwater.

I'd say your best bet would be lakes on UCF property or Lake Mills Park in Chuluota off 419. Lake Mills has a rather small shoreline area, but I've caught a few nice bass out there. Best if you have a boat.
  • h20poloforeverh20poloforever Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I live in Alafaya woods
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    Try Lake Mills in Chuluota. I have seen many weeds and good bass in there when I go up there. There is a dock that I recommend to the right of the parking lot, past the play area. I have never caught any fish there (they all steal my bait) but my friends have gone there and caught some from five to ten pounds, give or take a few. There are some that hang out next to the dock, and they break your line all the time. Another place I am dying to go to is Mullet Lake Park in Sanford. I saw plenty of good cover there the last time I went. Don't try the Econ, you will be disappointed. I hate river fishing down here. The retention ponds are good for panfish, and the bass in them are generally tiny. Good luck and happy fishing!
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
    As for baits, try worms, plastic worms, spinnerbaits, soft plasticks, crankbaits, bread, or surface lures.

[email protected]
  • JF1shJF1sh Posts: 452 Officer
    Yeah I was fishing University Estates the last few weeks and only got 1 bite. Seems pretty slow over there. Tried everything in my tacklebox.
  • h20poloforeverh20poloforever Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I went fishing today for a few hours off mikler rd. off red bug in a neighborhood call regency estates. I caught three bass about three pounds each using a senko. I fished on the left side of the lake . There is a lot of weeds so make sure your using something weedles. Good luck and tight lines
    The Twin Rivers Golf Club has Two ponds on it that I highly recommend, right on the road. Another one is pretty big in the golf course, with lots of them scattered in the course. The groundskeeper is pretty grumpy, avoid going out there from 7:30 - 8:00AM and be out of there by 7:00PM. Steer clear of the neighborhood, as some of them have guard dogs. A good trick would be to pay for a day's golf, and then go fishing so you can say, "I payed for it!" Good Luck and tight lines.:fishing

[email protected]
  • scottrodscottrod Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Twin rivers off of 419, the lakes around the oviedo mall, and the econ can be good with a fly rod and a brim popper. I would also try the pond in the neighborhood of chulouta road and 50.