Newest Offering from TFO...

mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
Coming to a fly shop near you in time for Tarpon season 2012 is an updated and improved 12 weight BVK rod. I've been fortunate to have been chosen to field test the prototype BVK 12wt over the last 9 months and it is awesome. I had the BVK with a Gulfstream and Wulff BTT cast side by side with my GLoomis PRO1 12 wt using the same line and reel. Down at Lorelai last May I showed the rods to some of the guides one evening and every one of them could not believe what a great casting rod it is especially casting it alongside the Pro1. It is also a fish fighting tool with enough power in the butt section to really put a hurt on a large fish. If you are planning on gearing up for Tarpon this season do yourself a favor and check out this honey of a rod! I'm so enamored with this series I'm selling my Sage Rplxi 12 wt and my Reddington CPS 10wt. BTW the warranty is one of the best in the business.

Replies

• TarponutTarponut Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    mtd, I have a friend who works with TFO and he too used the 12 wt BVK and told me it compares nearly identically to his 12 wt Cross Current GLX 4 pc in both action and weight. He also said that the butt section was close to the same diameter of the CC unlike the Axiom, TiCR and X which have HUGE butt sections in the 9 and 10 wts compared to the CC. The BVK seems to be a well designed rod in all weights. Do you have an idea when the 12 wts will be available? My friend thinks another month to see it on the TFO website and and 3-4 weeks after that for ordering. Thank you.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I just found out about them being in production today. I will be getting one as soon as they are available. I'll post when it arrives. Maybe we have the same friend...LOL
  • PNWGatorPNWGator Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Anyone tried the BVK side by side against the Sintrix?
    I have not but if you know someone who has one and lives in my area I'd be happy to bring mine and we could do a side by side.
  • ZhunterZhunter Posts: 226 Deckhand
    mtd885

You were like a vkid in a candy store with a pocket of money the day you got that 12 wt BVK :)
    Hey Jay! You back from the InContinent...LOL Let's fish Govt Cut on an outgoing if you have some time. I made my reservations for the month of May and now I'm working on April. I hear the production BVK'S have new hardware. Did you buy the Sintrix? Maybe we can do a side by side if you did. Give a call when you have some time.
  • ZhunterZhunter Posts: 226 Deckhand
    Michael

I am not sure of my fishing opportunities in the next 5 weeks, lots going on at home. I have yet to get my work schedule for this spring, so I am not able to book anything yet.

I am going to go with Sage, not sure which one yet, either the Xi3 or the ONE. Should know next week after some test casting side by side
  • Chuck SChuck S Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    How does the BVK compare to say the Winston BL5? I've always loved the fast loading, softer tip that rod offered in the 12 wt category.
  • Chuck SChuck S Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I just remembered that I had tagged The Eight Weight Shootout in my favorites so went there for some rod comparison info. Seems as if that BVK rated number two of all rods tested and it was one of the least expensive. The article and chart explained enough for me to figure this one out. George Anderson's Yellowstone Angler seems a strange place for Saltwater rod advice but if you know George you understand why it's top notch. Between the good I've heard of TFO and now this it moves to next on my list to try and that BVK does sound enticing. http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Photo%20Gallery/2011.8.weight.shootout.final.results.htm
  • leewanleewan Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Hey MDT is the new 12wt a four piece rod? Any idea on price?

thanks
    Yes, 4 piece probably $249 like the 10 wt.
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 185 Deckhand
    MTD...no wonder you' love TFO BVK...1/ you break fly rods and 2/ you like limp sticks...RPLXi...get a manly stick a RPLX 12 or 11 wt two piece...you can pole with it...spear with it...or high stick 100 lb plus into the boat...that is if it doesn't get fouled up with that electric generator on the bow of your bird
    Sheesh every where I go, there I am! I have a Rob Anderson Custom RPLX 12 wt, and I have a CCGLX, and I have a PRO 1. Guess what? I like the BVK just as well as any of them. My pole is too old, er I mean I'm too old to pole anyways! My push pole is strictly cosmetic! AND I wish it was a generator instead of an amp sucking propulsion device on the beak of my bird. I'd never buy gas again if it were true!
  • jaymjaym Posts: 104 Deckhand
    How much do you want for your RPLXi?
  • Bill@NSB[email protected] Posts: 207 Deckhand
    Will the new BVK 12wt have a foregrip? TY
    I'm checking on that for ya Bill. My Proto does not have the fore grip.
    jaym wrote: »
    How much do you want for your RPLXi?
    Check your PM's
  • Bill@NSB[email protected] Posts: 207 Deckhand
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I'm checking on that for ya Bill. My Proto does not have the fore grip.

good. I really don't like fore grips.
    Hey Bill I just got a reply from TFO.
    "The 12-weight BVK will not have a fore grip. We changed the taper a bit on the lower sections to strengthen the butt without messing with the action. We are also using our new Tactical Series guides instead of the Recoil. We should have them in stock next month "
    It sounds like they increased it's fish fighting ability without sacrificing the casting ability...m