Home Fly Fishing

sage peacock bass 2 rod, um.... what do I use it for?

I recently lucked into a Sage peacock bass rod and 390 grain line. Haven't really had a chance to fish it yet, and have only casted it with 12 wt SA tarpon line which didn't work that well. I was thinking of using this rod for Tarpon and Snook around the here and down in the keys. It seems to have a decent amount of backbone, at least as much as a ten weight. Anyone use this rod for bigger Tarpon? Or am I crazy?

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,382 Captain
    You're not crazy. They can call it a 10wt all they want, 390 grains is a 12wt line. Should you decide to go with a line other than the one provided, you're going to want to make sure it's one of the newer short head lines designed for fast loading. The Rio outbound short, and the wulff ambush would be a couple worth looking at.
  • Chris MChris M Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I fish the original model in the 330 gr size quite a bit. Theyre great for pounding structure at close range. This series wouldnt be my first choice for sight casting where accuracy at long distance matters. The rod action and short heavy line head make delicacy and picking up a lot of line an issue.
  • nolegsinmiaminolegsinmiami Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    I use my peacock rod for working shorelines and I love it. I like to use the Cortland clear 11wt on mine - I feel like its more stealthy that the stock line for working the shorelines.
  • nolegsinmiaminolegsinmiami Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Long_Live_Snook further to your question: I think the rod can be used for Tarpon and Snook alike and I have caught both with mine. Sight fishing with this rod (as well as my LM Bass Rod 1) is a little challenging as the rod has a deep bend when casting which leads to some inaccuracies which is different than today’s tip flex rods – the deep bend makes for an easy all day casting. I will say that I find the Peacock Bass 2 slightly more accurate than the LM Bass 1 – Sage claims that the rod has slightly less torsion so that’s maybe why.

99% of the time I agree with ODC opinions, but on the line options for these rods I have a different perspective. I don’t like the Rio Outbound short or Wulff Ambush for these rods unless you truly need NO accuracy like for open water casting at busting bluefish or albies. While the stock line has a short head, it actually has a fairly long rear taper/tapered belly (18’ ) which if you have ever noticed the rods roll cast great – I find that the Outbound and Ambush don’t particularly roll cast well and are better for “chuck and ducking”. The Cortland clear has a short head and long back taper (quite long).
    Enjoy the rod!
  • easydayseasydays Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    I just relined my 8' cross current with the Ambush. When I first got my rod/reel combo I had SA redfish tapor on it and was never happy with the way the rod loaded up. I can say that after getting home and did a few lawn casting tries with the new line all I can say is Orgasmic ! It loads awsome and puts out a 50 ft. cast with accuracy with little to no effort. I'm hitting the water in the morning for some real time fishing. A big thanks to Harry Goodes and Bill for steering me in the right direction.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,382 Captain
    easydays wrote: »
    I just relined my 8' cross current with the Ambush. When I first got my rod/reel combo I had SA redfish tapor on it and was never happy with the way the rod loaded up. I can say that after getting home and did a few lawn casting tries with the new line all I can say is Orgasmic ! It loads awsome and puts out a 50 ft. cast with accuracy with little to no effort. I'm hitting the water in the morning for some real time fishing. A big thanks to Harry Goodes and Bill for steering me in the right direction.

No problemo Capt. Let me know how that line behaves once we get into the colder months.
  • easydayseasydays Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    Will do. Hope it don't get as stiff as I do.
  • Long_Live_SnookLong_Live_Snook Posts: 55 Deckhand
    **** a 30+ inch Snook today with this rod around docks and oysters. Pretty cool.
    I use my peacock rod for working shorelines and I love it. I like to use the Cortland clear 11wt on mine - I feel like its more stealthy that the stock line for working the shorelines.

I am using this line too. What leader setup are you using and how did you get the memory out of the line?
  • Gladesman1Gladesman1 Posts: 51 Deckhand
    Those rods are terrific in my opinion for snook and poons and bass - p's and LM. Any high cover fish. The shorter length is also great for kayak fishing. One less thing to stick out of the yak. I own the LM and SM and they are my go to rods any time I am not sight casting. Many folks do like them for bonefish at close range, but I haven't used them that way.

No legs and I who fish together a fair amount, differ on the line. I do like the Outbound which was an ODC recommendation
    as well as SAGE's when I asked them about a tropical version of the bass line. I like the bass line best but it does NOT hold up in the heat of a normal SF fishing day. That was my concern too with the Ambush line, and I use the Wulff TT happily on almost every other floating application down here. Good luck with a very cool rod - new series or old.
  • DPrestonDPreston Posts: 153 Officer
    Just picked up a series one Sage Smallmouth stick and looking at the Bermuda Shorts TT line. Has anyone cast this line with one of these rods? Trying to figure out what weight to get - the rod appears to be rated for 290 grains but can't find the grains for that line anywhere!!
    Spoke with Doug at RW...he recommended the 10wt. Dave Olsen at Fly Shop of Miami thinks a 9wt might do the trick so he ordered both and we're going to field test. Will post the results...
    DPreston wrote: »
    Spoke with Doug at RW...he recommended the 10wt. Dave Olsen at Fly Shop of Miami thinks a 9wt might do the trick so he ordered both and we're going to field test. Will post the results...

That seems really light to load that rod. I am using 11wt Wulff Bermuda shorts with it.
    How do you like the 11?
    Well the Bermuda short 9wt is the right wt, but the Rio Outbound cast significantly better side by side.