Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

"Red Snapper on Ice"

MattDMattD Posts: 167 Deckhand
For those of you who don't check in on Jane Lubechenco's facebook page for a good laugh/scream occasionally. Thought this picture was particularly disturbing/funny.

Great insight into our top notch fisheries management process.

Matt

[HTML]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/376976_10150490480593492_138662048491_9007044_519763812_n.jpg[/HTML]

Replies

• I've been banned from commentating on Jane Lubchenco's, NOAA's and NOAA Fisheries Service Facebook pages. Not because I violated their TOS, but apparently because I posted "Fact Check's" on their propoganda used to sell their brand of fishery management. NOAA refuses to answer e-mail request I have made about this! Go Figure! Facebook and Twitter have become another propoganda tool for NOAA to play politics, and they are more than willing to censor anyone that does not agree with their position!

Guess they don;t do much fact checking of their own on whats posted in their social media!
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,470 Admiral
    Looks more like Vermilion (B Liner) snapper to me. Are these our experts? Bob
    4c8fb84b.jpg
  • B liners! And some nice ones too!
  • MattDMattD Posts: 167 Deckhand
    Those are our "experts." They have since changed the title to just "Snapper on Ice."
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,526 Captain
    pathetic - even our Czar would know that
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,377 Admiral
    Honestly what do you expect from a 60's Hippy Radical tree hugger? She was radical with an agenda then and is still radical with an aganda now.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Dear Jane Letter:
    This should actually be a Dear Jane letter, as you are shown the door. Imagine for the moment meeting Papa John the head of the famous pizza restaurant and he showed you a calzone saying, “Better Ingredients, better pizza”
    I am sure you would say, how in the world can this man head a pizza empire and not know what a pizza looks like?

Well I am asking: How can you head NMFS and manage our precious sea treasures and not know a Bee Liner (vermillion snapper) from a Red Snapper.
    By posting this on your face book page and crowing what a great job you are doing, you have destroyed any credibility (although you never really had much) you may have been clinging too.

For the record this is a red snapper

rsnpmob.jpg
    And while technically yes, those fish in your picture are red and yes they are a species of snapper, they are not Red Snapper. Red Snapper if you will remember is a fish which has been all but stolen from the recreational fisherman, with highly suspect data, no recent stock assessment and still relying on outdated Cuban fishermen form the 1960’s.
    Of course as you continue to steal form the recreational angler and grant free Catch shares and IFQ for the profit takers (we refer to them as the less than 1%’ers because commercials make up what .005% of all anglers) you destroy jobs, families and communities, hell it has even been reported that you have been responsible for a few suicide; I hope you and your EDF backers are so proud of the destruction and damage you have done to the anglers of this country.

So as you carry on with your vital work to corporatize our fisheries and squeeze out the family level fisherman, remember; We are many and every time you make a screw up like this, we will make it known throughout the country.

Maybe next time you should call Dr. Crabtree, while he and the boys a SERO may not be able to actually count them, I am sure he would have pointed out the stupid mistake you were about to make, he can at least identify one.

The recreational anglers will be looking forward to a 180 day season this year and I am just as sure we will get it as the picture you showed is red snapper.

Jane…it is time for you to go.
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
    Very good letter Capt Bob. If everyone would band together we could indeed make a change. Otherwise we will be mowed over a few at a time. Or should I say one species at a time.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• harbisonharbison Posts: 5,470 Admiral
    Spiney: " If everyone would band together we could indeed make a change" Exactly what I have been saying all along. There is strength in unity! Bob
  • :thumbsup
    Dear Jane Letter:
    This should actually be a Dear Jane letter, as you are shown the door. Imagine for the moment meeting Papa John the head of the famous pizza restaurant and he showed you a calzone saying, “Better Ingredients, better pizza”
    I am sure you would say, how in the world can this man head a pizza empire and not know what a pizza looks like?

Well I am asking: How can you head NMFS and manage our precious sea treasures and not know a Bee Liner (vermillion snapper) from a Red Snapper.

NICE JOB!,,,,
    By posting this on your face book page and crowing what a great job you are doing, you have destroyed any credibility (although you never really had much) you may have been clinging too.

For the record this is a red snapper

rsnpmob.jpg
    And while technically yes, those fish in your picture are red and yes they are a species of snapper, they are not Red Snapper. Red Snapper if you will remember is a fish which has been all but stolen from the recreational fisherman, with highly suspect data, no recent stock assessment and still relying on outdated Cuban fishermen form the 1960’s.
    Of course as you continue to steal form the recreational angler and grant free Catch shares and IFQ for the profit takers (we refer to them as the less than 1%’ers because commercials make up what .005% of all anglers) you destroy jobs, families and communities, hell it has even been reported that you have been responsible for a few suicide; I hope you and your EDF backers are so proud of the destruction and damage you have done to the anglers of this country.

So as you carry on with your vital work to corporatize our fisheries and squeeze out the family level fisherman, remember; We are many and every time you make a screw up like this, we will make it known throughout the country.

Maybe next time you should call Dr. Crabtree, while he and the boys a SERO may not be able to actually count them, I am sure he would have pointed out the stupid mistake you were about to make, he can at least identify one.

The recreational anglers will be looking forward to a 180 day season this year and I am just as sure we will get it as the picture you showed is red snapper.

Jane…it is time for you to go.

I have been watching NFS work for a while now. In 2007 theycompleted

a report on "their" desired future state of U.S.Marine Fisheries. The specific request from the Assistant Administrator toMAFAC was "…to create, in clear, simple, non-jargon language, astakeholders’ consensus on the desired future state of domestic andinternational fisheries."

IMO the report entitled "Vision 2020: The Future ofU.S. Marine Fisheries"

contained at the following web link http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ocs/documents/Vision_2020_FINAL-1.pdfis their overarching strategy and play book. Near as I can tell for the mostpart, where they have been able to they have been ticking the strategic planoff check by check.

I really like the plan on page 17 - Preferred Statein 2020:

"Many recreational species have limited populationgrowth rates and are too valuable to be caught only once. By 2020, catch andrelease fishing is emphasized and accounted for in specific speciesassessments. The proper techniques for release are refined and disseminated tolower post release mortality. For other fisheries, minimum size limits andreduced daily bag limits are sufficient management measures to maintain healthystanding stocks. Additional seasonal closures are considered to eliminate orredirect effort. By 2020, angler satisfaction is derived from therecreational fishing experience rather than the take or "kill"fish."

They may not make it by 2020 but it looks to me like they arewell on their way...and I haven't seen anything in the past 8 years that canstop them. Not lawsuits, not presidents, not Senators, not governor's, and notprotests.

One day the pendulum has to swing back the otherway...

Yep, I agree to "N th" degree. They simply don'tcare what we think. They are basically tree huggers, bureaucrats, and we arethe problem. None of us pose a threat to them, nor their job security.........not at least until martial law. oops, mom says it's time for me to take more meds.
    I found this on another forum and it ought to scare the mess out of all fishermen and women.

"Many recreational species have limited populationgrowth rates and are too valuable to be caught only once. By 2020, catch andrelease fishing is emphasized and accounted for in specific speciesassessments. The proper techniques for release are refined and disseminated tolower post release mortality. For other fisheries, minimum size limits andreduced daily bag limits are sufficient management measures to maintain healthystanding stocks. Additional seasonal closures are considered to eliminate orredirect effort. By 2020, angler satisfaction is derived from therecreational fishing experience rather than the take or "kill"fish."

This shows a complete lack of understanding by our regulators regarding recreational fishing.
    They fail to understand it is ALL ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY to fish, with an added bonus of keeping some to eat.

To them we are all cooler stuffing madmen the revel only in the photo-op at the dock and a freezer full of fish. Part of this is our fault for posting our success on sites like this.

One of the main misconception we must correct is the view of the recreational angler. Most of us keep less than 10% of what we land. Speaking for myself, I rarely freeze any fish, I like it fresh and if I wanted frozen fish, I would go to Publix.

It is up to us to change how the regulators see us and it is up to us as a group to act like recreational fishermen, who are out for the joy of fishing, with the added bonus of bring home a few fillets. We need to make them understand it really is about the OPPORTUNITY to fish that drives us and the recreational fishing economy and ANYTHING that hurts the opportunity to fish, hurts that economy.
    Here is my analysis of this report and an email sent to NMFS:

Dear Forbes:

I have been reading over this little document and I have to say I am shocked. If this truly is the goal of the ultimate “desired state” of the fishery then we have a problem. Obviously there was NO STATKEHOLDER input into this document, but a bunch of diatribes put together by out of touch bureaucrats.

This quote from page 3; “Human fishing practices are affected by the dynamics of the marine ecosystem and fluctuations in fish abundance. “ Completely ignores the impacts of the economy, regulation and environment (weather factors). Recreational fishing is highly susceptible to fishery independent variables and to ignore them in fishery management is a pure sign of ignorance.

Here is another misnomer that shows a complete lack of understanding on the part of bureaucrats and “fishery scientist” as if relates to the recreational fishery (from page 5)

“TREND: THE MARINE RECREATIONAL FISHERY SECTOR WILL CONTINUE TO GROW AS OUR POPULATION GROWS, LIVES LONGER, AND HAS MORE LEISURE TIME. Recreational fishing continues to be one of the most popular outdoor sports. Anglers took nearly 93 million saltwater trips in 2005. The increased size of the recreational fishing population creates disputes over allocation of limited resources between commercial fishermen and recreational anglers, and even within different sectors of the recreational community. Technological innovations, however, will continue to assist the survival rate in catch and release fisheries. “

Here again we see a misunderstanding of the recreational fishery and some gross exaggeration. According to NMFS estimates (which by the way you have been using to set rules) there were 77 million trips in 2005 not 93 million and 11 million participants.

As a trend (trend analysis is something MRFSS/MRIPS is actually good at) shows that for the past decade participation has remained relatively flat as the table below shows:
    Year Participants % of Change
    2000 8,655,501 0%
    2001 9,802,319 13%
    2002 8,155,508 -17%
    2003 10,205,772 25%
    2004 10,322,689 1%
    2005 11,494,599 11%
    2006 11,783,864 3%
    2007 12,607,112 7%
    2008 10,994,082 -13%
    2009 9,490,770 -14%
    2010 9,720,203 2%
    Total Average % of Change 2%
    This does not include PAC-FIN Number

In addition the number of trips for the same period shows that number of trips has remained relatively flat, although recent analysis show a trend towards decline
    Year Trips % Change
    2000 70,671,682.00 0%
    2001 76,227,578.00 7%
    2002 63,966,872.00 -19%
    2003 76,146,751.00 16%
    2004 78,794,558.00 3%
    2005 77,678,471.00 -1%
    2006 78,202,570.00 1%
    2007 81,416,117.00 4%
    2008 79,767,070.00 -2%
    2009 68,255,105.00 -17%
    2010 66,838,094.00 -2%
    Average Percent of Change -1%
    This does not include PAC-FIN Number

The point being that the authors of this document show a complete lack of understanding as it regards the current status and trends in recreational fishing.

As shown in the data above this statement on page 7 is patently false and leads the panel to false conclusion and steers them into a misassumption that will lead to bad management decisions
    “5. Recreational anglers will continue to increase in numbers and impact. “

This piece from page 7 “1. Better data are necessary for management decisions. Every one of the issue areas examined requires more data, more timely data, and data of higher quality to achieve the outcomes desired for fisheries in 2020. In the absence of adequate data, wrong decisions or overly precautious policies will have profound economic and environmental consequences. The current investment in data seems disproportionately low relative to the societal value of the resources under NOAA’s stewardship. Fortunately one of NOAA’s strengths is in its tremendous capacity for conducting scientific research and collecting data and information. Where this strength turns into value for the public is when the data and science are applied to management policies and decision making. “

I absolutely agree with and I continue to urge as I have in the past for NMFS to stop ignoring the recreational stakeholders as a significant source of information and data and in addition as an analysis tool for that data. I will once again ask that NMFS work with me and other groups who are working on various data collection programs to make us a part of the science and to STOP ignoring us.

Again from page 9

Recreational Fisheries
    10. NOAA must achieve and maintain sustainable levels of stocks important to recreational fisheries.
    11. Sale of recreationally–caught fish is a form of commerce and should be prohibited at state and federal levels. Improved recreational harvest data are essential and a recreational registry must be implemented and used.
    12. Fishery management plans should include analyses of quota transfer between recreational and commercial sectors, and should incorporate market mechanisms where appropriate.
    13. Efforts should be directed to enhance a conservation ethic and pride of a national resource amongst all fishery user groups.

this requires extensive INCLUSION by the recreational stakeholders to be effective, currently we are an afterthought but we are also a part of the commerce of fishing accounting for 6 times the economic value of the same fish caught commercially.

This statement on page 19 is false
    Issue Statement 1: Growth in populations and coastal tourism are resulting in increasing numbers of recreational fishermen. Therefore, the impact these fishermen are having on fish stocks is increasing. As this demand for recreational fishing continues to increase, recreational fishermen will request increases in fish allocated to the recreational sector.

There is no statistical correlation that can be drawn between coastal populations and fishing participation and effort. This is but one of the many flaws in effort analysis made by MRFSS/MRIPS. I have already shown you that participation and effort have remained flat for over a decade, while coastal population have grown by nearly 25%. Fishing participation in coastal regions averages about 16%, so if the documents assertion were correct, recreational fishing effort should have increased by in excess of 5%, but as I have shown you it did not. As to the issue of allocation, allocations need to account for the shared nature of the fishery. Those which are highly shared or where they have proved that high direct capacity pressure are detrimental should be allocated more towards recreational use, especially when economic factors show that the best use of the resource is weighted on the recreational sector.

Still form page 19 this is just plain wrong and shows that this committee did not do its homework.

Current Situation: The current rate of increase in the angling population creates new management concerns. If the rate of recreational fishermen continues to increase at 3 percent per annum, by 2020 the number of recreational fishermen will increase by 7.3 million to a projected level of 18.5 million. This change will result in a significant increase of fishing effort and catch (i.e., mortality), all else equal. By 2020 continued growth in recreational angling will require that anglers focus more on the fishing experience and less on the number of fish landed. However, while post-release mortality in catch and release fisheries is usually low (often 2-5 percent), as fishing effort increases, post-release mortality will become an increasing proportion of total mortality. It is conceivable that the cumulative total of post-release mortality could increase to levels equal to the total allowable mortality for a fishery. As the number of recreational fishermen continues to increase, improved monitoring will be necessary to assess the fishing effort and catch. A national saltwater angler’s registry under development will be a necessary tool to collect data.

We have seen a 2% increase over a decade so if that trend continues, which current analysis shows it will not, that equates to rough 12.5 million anglers based on a 2% increase for a decade over the current 9 million shown in 2010.

Preferred State:

From page 19. Preferred State in 2020: Many recreational species have limited population growth rates and are too valuable to be caught only once. By 2020, catch and release fishing is emphasized and accounted for in specific species assessments.
    This statement shows exactly why recreational fishermen do not trust and will never trust NMFS.

Recreational fishing is about the OPPROTUNITY to fish and to bring something home for dinner. TO attempt to turn our oceans into a C & R fishery will cause an eruption in the recreational fishing community. Again a statement like this shows that the participants involved in this paper do not have a clue as it relates to recreational fishing.

It is also obvious they have no clue about the current state of regulations and how they affect the OPPORTUNITY to fish.
    Proposed Actions to Accomplish Preferred State:
    (a) Improve collection of recreational catch, release, and harvest data,
    (b) Create and use the recreational angler registry.
    (c) Continue to promote catch and release fisheries,
    (d) Reduce daily bag limits and implement minimum or maximum size limits when necessary for those fish stocks where resorting to total catch and release is not necessary,
    (e) Promote research to accurately quantify and minimize post release mortality,
    (f) Increase the length of seasonal closures when necessary and encourage the recreational community to maximize the profitability of open seasons,
    (g) Amend fishery management plans to allow for timely conversion of unused commercial allocation to the recreational sector and vice versa;
    (h) Implement a variety of programs and incentives to enhance the conservation ethic of recreational anglers.

Considering the many of the most valuable recreational species already have bag limits of 2 (or less) the proposal to reduce them further is ludicrous. The only place to go is to zero.
    What this group also fails to realize that as size limits are adjusted upwards, for many species this requires trips to deeper water, which increase release mortality and reduced bag limits also increase release mortality as more fish are released. The concept is the “theory of diminishing returns” a point which we have passed long ago.

Let’s look at Red Snapper (a hot button issue) the current regulations are such that the recreational release mortality is now exceeding our annual catch limit, why? Because we have past the point where the regulations are so strict and onerous, that we are releasing in excess of 95% of the landing and at a 40% (which is highly doubtful) release mortality this means that 38% of all landing are release and die. Is this the best use of the fishery to waste 38% of the fish to protect 5%, not hardly.

Item (f) above is laughable; in the red snapper fishery we went form year round, to half a year, to 40 days and will be looking at none in 2013, due to the release mortality we will experience in 2012 exceeding our allowable catch for this year and next year. The gag has gone form year round to 10 ½ months, to 123 days and again because of increase release mortality and OUT OF DATE stock assessments 2012 looks to be even shorter.

Item (h) above is insulting. Sportsman are and have been the number1 conservationist in this country. We spend more time learning, donating and stewarding the fishery than any other group and to suggest otherwise is insulting and again goes to shows that the participant of this paper WERE ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS about recreational fishing.

The authors of this document display an amateurish approach to recreational fishing at best, or an agenda driven pre ordained desire at the worst. Their lack of facts and the assumptions made without regard or the use of facts is deplorable.

Now I do not know if they were unaware of how to get to the numbers I used, which took me all of about 5 minutes, to find put into a spreadsheet and develop the statistics I provided, or if they knew how to get the numbers, but because it did not fit their assumptions or agenda they just decided to make something up.

Only they know what the truth is.

Forbes I expect some type of response from NMFS regarding this garbage, and if this is the direction that NMFS is choosing to go, it is against what the stakeholders view as the future state and will meet strong and detracted opposition as I probably do not need to remind you….NMFS needs us to cooperate far more than we need NMFS. When you are managing something that you cannot fully contain nor monitor our cooperation is the key to accomplishing goals.

Sincerely,

Capt Bob Bryant

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    Spineyman wrote: »

This shows a complete lack of understanding by our regulators regarding recreational fishing.
    They fail to understand it is ALL ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY to fish, with an added bonus of keeping some to eat.

that hurts the opportunity to fish, hurts that economy.

They could care less about us our fishing or the economy. It is all about regulating us so we will have to buy our food and pay taxes on said fish purchases. Remember they are heading toward a Global economy and the Americans are evil with their waste. Bring them down to size and lever the playing field. The rich Obama keeps talking about is every American as compared to the rest of the world. He is taking us down to size. Remember he has spoken about us many times in speeches. Americans are lazy, greedy and cling to their God and their guns.

It is up to us to save our Opportunity to fish
    We must be vigillant and point out when data and information is wrong or is being misused

THey make statements like this
    "Many recreational species have limited populationgrowth rates and are too valuable to be caught only once. "

And then completely ignore that when looking at commercial fishery (which only allows a fish to be caught once for the most part)

While they understand that some species (like grouper and snapper) are too valuable to be caught only once, they fail to apply that logic about the species to understand that because of their unique biology they are not a proper species for large scale commercial use.
    Forget being vigillant, we have to throw them out and start from scratch. The majority up in Washington are Elitists and absolutely believe they know what is best for us, all the while they are lining thier pockets off of the backs of hard working Americans. It is time to either stand up and be counted or just plain mowed over.

Problem is there is no throwing our.....many of these regualtors have been mismanaging our fishery since the Clinton administration.

They have lifetime federal jobs and answer to no one and feel they are above congress.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,603 Admiral
    It is up to us to save our Opportunity to fish
    We must be vigillant and point out when data and information is wrong or is being misused

THey make statements like this
    "Many recreational species have limited populationgrowth rates and are too valuable to be caught only once. "

And then completely ignore that when looking at commercial fishery (which only allows a fish to be caught once for the most part)

While they understand that some species (like grouper and snapper) are too valuable to be caught only once, they fail to apply that logic about the species to understand that because of their unique biology they are not a proper species for large scale commercial use.

Yep!!!

Somehow have to get the coms out, the tree huggers out and the fishing in the people's hands. Not sure how, since they keep printing this crap, taking more from the family giving it to the profiteers, and outright ignoring the wishes of the family/peoples
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • timbo615timbo615 Posts: 237 Officer
    harbison wrote: »
    Looks more like Vermilion (B Liner) snapper to me. Are these our experts? Bob
    4c8fb84b.jpg

I think they are over the RED SNAPPER limit....:shrug
    Guess not being very smart came in handy this time.....can you image the fine if they were and they had a photo to prove it OUCH!!! Well then they would say that this pic(with this high of quality) would have be from the 60s:rotflmao
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,193 Admiral
    Looks more like spoiling at the market.
    Ol Mucky wrote: »
    Yep!!!

Somehow have to get the coms out, the tree huggers out and the fishing in the people's hands. Not sure how, since they keep printing this crap, taking more from the family giving it to the profiteers, and outright ignoring the wishes of the family/peoples

Well what would be really fair and equitable is that if you can't go and catch one yourself, then purchasing one shoudl also be illegal.
    I mean really psoosession of a species during a closed season shoudl be illegal whether you caught it or bought it.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,946 AG
    Wow, that is almost unbelievable.

Wonder which staffer made that mistake?

I hope someone got a screenshot!
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,477 AG
    Keep it up and soon we won't be able to keep any beeliners, either.
    Warning Level 2