Mahi Mahi fishing

I come down to Destin from Texas every year for two weeks in July. This year itll be the 10th through 24th. I have a 20 foot bay boat that me and my father fish out of for tarpon and kings along the beach. We were wondering, however, where the best spot would be to target some mahi somewhat inshore. Off Texas we have run 15 miles offshore, could possiby go further, but thats about where the confidence line stops. Is there any wrecks close in we could hit up? I know they have been known to come in as close to the pier, but that seems to be pretty rare. We were just curious as to if there was a spot where they could possibly be, somewhat reachable with our boat. Not trying to steal anyones coordinates but any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brandon

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,852 Captain
    Probably won't ever find them inshore, and 15 miles is probably still not going to be real productive. Usually start seeing them in weed lines and floating stuff around 20 to 30 miles.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • fisheadgibfisheadgib Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Klinger wrote: »
    Probably won't ever find them inshore, and 15 miles is probably still not going to be real productive. Usually start seeing them in weed lines and floating stuff around 20 to 30 miles.

Are you sure that you should be giving fishing advice about this area? Several dolphin are caught from the pier every year and quit a few small dolphin are caught from the inshore areas all summer long.

To the OP, it's a little tough to specifically target dolphin inshore because they are always moving and hunting. As we head to our bottom fishing spots we'll stop and check out any piece of debris that we find. We've loaded a cooler with chickens that were under something as small as a pickle bucket. You'll encounter larger fish in the offshore weedlines but we've caught them in the 15lb range in state waters.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,852 Captain
    First, you have no idea what my Dolphin fishing qualifications are. Secondly, my point was that larger fish would be difficult to target inshore or near shore.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,058 Moderator
    Same question was posted here a while back...

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?1944-Dolphin-Tips-Panama-City

My response was fairly detailed on the dolphin.

Here are two more inshore trolling threads that are a little more generic and will put fish in the boat. Kings, bonito for sure. Decent sized dolphin, wahoo or blackfin all possible too near shore, just not as likley.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?4007-PC-Trolling-Help

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?3850-Second-trip-out-of-PCB-short-trip

If youre goals is just to catch SOME dolphin, look for a weedline or other floating stucture and have pitch baits and small lures / jigs ready to cast to it. By late July a dolphin is almost guaranteed. Unfortunately, the size of the fish is almost guaranteed as well; expect our "schoolies" to be like 0.5 to maybe 2 pounds.

Most of the better sized dolphin that I have caught here have been in groups of 1 or 2 and have just swam by the boat real quick to check us out. I've had a rod ready and we just toss a bait in front of his nose. I catch one worht cleaning (5-10 pounds) maybe every 4th or 5th trip, but I'm also not targeting them.

Good luck.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • KaJonKaJon Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the question I will be there the 16th thru 23rd. I am trying to find out as much as I can about fishing Destin also
    you may take a look at this site for waypoints http://www.co.okaloosa.fl.us/dept_pw_resources_reefs_gallary.html
    I am from Louisiana and fish oyster reefs for reds and specs, haven't been able to find out much about the bay fishing
    around Destin. I hear it is different from what we fish at home.