I Broke My Rod

I was not about to lose my 5th lure of the night. Rocked up with a jig, 40lb braid, new Penn Battle 5000... So I'm left with about 8'4" of my 9' rod. I've gotten into building rods and know how to use the thread wraps and epoxy. I'm just not sure how to go about fixing a broken rod. It seemed like a clean brake so I'm assuming I can just cut it straight a little lower. What do I cut a blank with? Hows that work? Then just a matter of getting a tip top wrapped up?

Its probably easier than I'm making it, but I just don't want to mess it up. Let me know what you think.

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 8,131 Admiral
    You have to use a piece of another broken rod and sleeve it and then epoxy over the patch. It will stiffen the action a little but it will be fully functional for sure.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Are you looking to repair it, or are you looking to just leave as is and add a tip to it? If the latter, the blank won't act the same, but yes just cut it so its a clean break with a cut off wheel and add new tip. To actually repair it takes plenty of both work and skill.
    seanfish wrote: »
    Are you looking to repair it, or are you looking to just leave as is and add a tip to it? If the latter, the blank won't act the same, but yes just cut it so its a clean break with a cut off wheel and add new tip. To actually repair it takes plenty of both work and skill.

But well worth it in my book, especially if you like the rod.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Greyt EscapeGreyt Escape Posts: 326 Officer
    I was wanting to know if I can just cut the rod down and attach a new tip top. I'm not trying to combine 2 pieces so I didn't think I needed to use another piece of rod to do the sleeve technique. Please let me know if I just cut off 6 inches or so and put a tip top if the rod is still damaged and will break again. FYI it is just a Penn rod that came as a combo deal. Nothing special.
    028.jpg 88.4K
    yes you can do that and it will work but most of the action is in the tip. It will make it stiff as a broomstick.

• Greyt EscapeGreyt Escape Posts: 326 Officer
    Loosing 6-8 inches off a 9' pole will make a dramatic difference? I thought it would affect it some, but nothing radical. So what do I use to make a good clean cut? Anything special?
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,343 Officer
    Use a hacksaw with lots of teeth and go slowly.
  • Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 729 Officer
    hacksaw with fine teeth works fine but a dremel cutting wheel is clean and easy if you have one.
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,824 Captain
    If using a hacksaw, go w/ at least 32 teeth per inch. I have spliced lots of broken rods w/ the sleeve method and it can work very well but you have to use a peice of fiberglass which will flex more than the graph. your rod is made of!!! It's not as hard as it sounds if you have some old fiber glass (tube, not solid of course!) rods to cut up! I prefer old glass fly rods as they flex more than any other> Good luck!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!