Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

Recreational Angler Fishing Data

brettfitzbrettfitz Posts: 438 Deckhand
The Feb issue of Florida Sportsman ConFron section has an article about recreational anglers logging their catch data in a program called the Angler Action Program (AAP).

I encourage all of you to read the article, and visit www.angleraction.org (or www.snookfoundation.org) to learn about the AAP. Bottom line is, we have before us an unprecedented opportunity to give real-time, accurate data to fishery managers, biologists, and other interested groups.

Currently the targeted species are redfish, spotted sea trout, snook, permit, tarpon, and bonefish. Snapper and grouper are on the way-

When you log in, you will notice that there are club affiliations you can log under. There is now a FS Forum section – let’s make this the largest data sub-set. We can easily parcel that data to show fishing results by region, or species – I’ll report some of those results over the coming months here on the forum.

If you already log your catches, thank you. If you don’t, why not?

Finally, if you would like someone from the Snook & Gamefish Foundation to visit your club or organization to give a presentation on how and why to use the AAP, PM, email or call me and we’ll make it happen.

Stop by our booth at the FS shows and visit us too-

Thanks,
Brett Fitzgerald
[email protected]
561-707-8923
"A 'real' fisherman is one who thinks like I do. There are more of us around than you might suspect."
-John Gierach

Replies

• This is a great idea for state waters, and state managed fish. In Federal waters, NOAA has created such a great deal
    of distrust, that data given to them brings great corcern about "How" it is used. Until leadership change, or a complete
    turn around in policy occurs in NOAA, most Federal fishery anglers fear that any data provided to NOAA will result in
    more harm than good (this is already the case). Offers to supply Rec data has been largly ignored so far.

If a private group paralleled the data with federal data, to create its own database and derived assesments, that could
    be used to determine independant of NOAA the health of a fishery, then you would likely get most fishermens attention.
    I currently participate in FWC's Red Snapper tagging program, and although this data does eventually go to NOAA, it is
    also used independantly by the FWC.
  • brettfitzbrettfitz Posts: 438 Deckhand
    Thanks ACME-

You hit on something there - there is a ton of distrust.

The data we collect accomplishes many things. First, it helps those who manage the fisheries. It is already being used in Florida and will only get stronger as more people contribute over time.

Just as importantly, it holds fishery managers accountable. As you stated, a parallel database could accomplish that. NOAA is most definately interested in our program, and we've been very up front with them - we want to help, but the data doesn't belong to them. It's ours (as in you and me - recreational anglers), and we'll share it but it belongs to us. If a slice of our data is extracted to exaggerate a point, we'll have the whole data set to look at, and the truth is going to be very visible. The more participation we have, the "truer" that truth will be.

What I get most excited about is the opportunity for us to show up at the table with something in our pockets. While recreational anglers have a long history of taking care of our fish, we are still regarded (or labeled) as "users of the resource" by many politicians, eco-extreme groups, certain commercial fishing interests, etc. This program shows that we can and do contribute to solutions to problems.
    "A 'real' fisherman is one who thinks like I do. There are more of us around than you might suspect."
    -John Gierach