Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

Strong words for panthers...

2»

Replies

• It works well enough to sustain the resource and the residents equitably. And is quite challenging to accomplish.

Perhaps if my career was spent as a gardener salaried though those very development fees to take lands out of the reach of development I would have the ability to consider it differently.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • brettfitzbrettfitz Posts: 438 Deckhand
    Anyone wanting to use that public land for private profit — such as building a marina — would have to pay the state for a submerged land lease. Last year such leases brought in $12 million for the state.
    The two proposed bills would change the "ordinary high water line" definition so public property would no longer include areas where the water rises due to annual rains. The dry season, not the wet, would determine the boundary between public and private land.
    "Boaters could be arrested for standing on the shore fishing," said Charles Pattison of 1,000 Friends of Florida. "Hunters could get arrested for hunting in marshes that are dry in the low water season."
    That's why Hitchcock is so dismayed: Florida's flat marshes are prime hunting areas that could suddenly change owners.
    "You change the location of the line by a few inches, and you could lose thousands of acres," he said.

-This from a Pittman article in the Tampa Trib (to see the whole of it go here) http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/water/proposal-would-change-publicprivate-boundaries-on-floridas-lakes-and-rivers/1211961 A very worthwhile read-

Again:
    Two different points that could adversely affect anglers and hunters.
    One promoting land protection but has a risk of leaving hunters/anglers on the outside looking in.
    The other allowing a lot of important land to be developed and/or privatized - again hunters and anglers lose.

If any of you reading this decides that it is more important to try to participate and be part of a better option for us as a group with mostly common interests than it is to argue with each other, please PM me, or contact me through the Snook and Gamefish Foundation - [email protected]. Maybe we can help each other accomplish something.
    "A 'real' fisherman is one who thinks like I do. There are more of us around than you might suspect."
    -John Gierach
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,368 Captain
    There is no difference between Mr. Schwart's use of Florida/Texas panthers to block road construction and Mr. Rose's use of manatees to stop dock construction. You cannot conveniently approve of the practice of using an animals presence as straw horse because you don't like bowling. The practice is either acceptable or it isn't. To me it isn't .

As a hunter and wild lands advocate,assuming that defines you,you are,at some point,going to have to draw a line and take a stand for Stewardship,in the Grand historical hunter conservationist tradition that defines the present.Big stuff,that's a Yepper.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink