Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

One of those days (hunting related)

15678911»

Replies

• line dancerline dancer Posts: 233 Deckhand
    Well I waited to the last day(GA) but put some meat in the freezer. 130 pound nanny goat.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,382 Admiral
    burb hunting - man started driving fence post 15 minutes before magic time
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,859 AG
    I've got from this afternoon until Sunday evening to get Jaden a buck. We'll do our part, hoping the deer will do theirs....

congrats LD. that's a big doe :beer
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    micci_man wrote: »
    I've got from this afternoon until Sunday evening to get Jaden a buck. We'll do our part, hoping the deer will do theirs....

congrats LD. that's a big doe :beer

Good luck TJommy and Jaden, and congrats Jeremy.

I went yesterday and saw a few turkeys on the way in and bumped what sounded like a hog on the walk out. No deer though.
  • vlcmsrfrvlcmsrfr Tallahassee, JupiterPosts: 215 Deckhand
    I'll put a story with it later...
    IMAG0808-1.jpg
    :beer Congrats to you both, can't wait to hear the story.
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    I finally got the freezer stocked. A friend who is hunting the land next to mine shot a big doe last week he gave me but I wanted one more to make sure we could make it through the year on venison instead of store bought beef (other than the occasional ribeye). I had the 6 pointer I've been passing up chase a doe in a circle around my stand then come back by wide open still chasing 15 minutes later. I've had a large buck sneak across an opening that caught me off guard when I saw the antlers. That momentary hesitation to check out the points let him scoot behind some small pines before I could get the crosshairs back on the kill zone. Never saw him again but he'll be on my mind next year. I had a group of three big does that I saw several times about 300 yards out so I didn't shoot, along with one that stood about 80 yards out for about 10 minutes with a pine covering her vitals and neck. I sat almost the whole day Saturday only taking a couple of hours break at about 11:15 and didn't see anything at all. Sunday morning the good Lord finally rewarded my patience with a nice little 4 pointer that walked out about 80 yards. It gave me several head bobs but I didn't move and it couldn't smell me so it turned broadside and gave me a perfect shot. The Barnes blew hair and blood about 4 feet out the other side of the deer. He slowly staggered about 30 yards and fell over dead. He wasn't rutted up and was about 140 pounds so he should taste good ground or cubed.
    BTW, I've got a picture and story from the processor I'll post later.
    Congrats to your wife Kyle!!

Congrats to you too Rhettley!!!
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Congrats to your wife Kyle!!

Congrats to you too Rhettley!!!

x2
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
    perfect weather this Sunday am - there early and ready.

tough hunting - no deer seen, really all of January has been slow! Journal says same for last few years...all thoses "passes" come to mind this time every year.
    Saw nothing but turkeys this weekend. Got a month and a half to get the house in order before it's turkey time.
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    I haven't seen a deer since the season ended. Quite different last year as they came out to taunt us.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
    Well, it didn't happen for Jaden this yr but it wasn't because we didn't try that 's for sure. At the end of the hunt yesterday I could tell she was bumbed out about it but after a dicussion on the way home about all of the time we were able spend together, the things we did see and the stories/memories that we made she gave me a smile, told me she loved me and thanked me for taking her hunting. My season was a success.....
    Well, it didn't happen for Jaden this yr but it wasn't because we didn't try that 's for sure. At the end of the hunt yesterday I could tell she was bumbed out about it but after a dicussion on the way home about all of the time we were able spend together, the things we did see and the stories/memories that we made she gave me a smile, told me she loved me and thanked me for taking her hunting. My season was a success.....

I'll say! I hope those girls continue down the path they are on now.
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain

She doesn't know it yet, but that walk and talk with her Dad will mean so much more to her in the future than any deer she could have taken.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral

perfect
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grouper sandwichgrouper sandwich Posts: 532 Officer
    I'm jealous Micci, you're a lucky man...

My season is over. Ended with 2 does and an 8-point. One of the does came from my 15 acre patch of dirt in Gadsden county. Not a bad season at all. Even got to spend a couple of afternoons in the stand with my youngest. I count that as a pretty good season. I'll spend the next month cutting next winters firewood, doing maintenance on some of my hunting junk and getting the boat ready for the flats. 2 redfish per person this year. Time to learn to catch redfish!
    corksling-2.jpg
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    I got blanked this season. Could have shot many deer, but never saw the right one.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Mason's ready for next year ;)

IMAG0079.jpg
    no way he is that big already!!!!!!! Dang man - he is ready!
    omegafoo wrote: »
    Mason's ready for next year ;)

IMAG0079.jpg
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Bigfoot wrote: »
    no way he is that big already!!!!!!! Dang man - he is ready!

Yeah, actually he is. 8 months (as of last Tuesday) and counting.
    omegafoo wrote: »
    Yeah, actually he is. 8 months (as of last Tuesday) and counting.

In a year or 3 I think we need to find a dove field to take Mason and Wyatt to and get them started right.