HDR round III - HDR for B&W

I was going to post this info in Craig's thread from yesterday. However, I know B&W is not his favorite so I created a new thread.

I used most of the steps in the first method of the article at the link in the creation of the image below. I don't have some of the software discussed so I substituted. I am still experimenting. A nice discussion of HDR for B&W.

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/hdr-for-black-and-white-a-step-by-step-guide

mR1jVl.jpg

Replies

• GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    Love the shot. Oh, and I've never said I don't like Black and White. I've always commented that I don't like it if it started as a color image then fails, so someone thinks they can save it as monochome. Or, take an image visualized in color then converted for the heck of it to make it more artzy, but and image where the creator meant it to be B&W from the start, I can really like if it was done well.
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    OK, I stand corrected. In any case, a new thread started.
  • GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    What can I say. I like the shot. It's too bad there's that background that seems way too busy. I can see the same car with the same work you put in it out on an empty wet parking lot at night with just the street lights lighting it and a building behind.

So, let's you and I go swipe the car and find that scene. Maybe we could borrow it. ;)
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Craigs....
    this is from another thread relating to b&w...just a copy\paste since it it is more relevant here...
    however, monochromes are not necessarily b&w....
    as i was taught, they can also be color....
    an example would be this...

IMG_9396ppC.jpg

This is a response to a comment made by John Rush on another thread....

i guess nikon must have a better algorithm than canon does for a b&w conversion...
    i have shot in b&w mode with both of my bodies and they do a decent job...
    but...
    not as good as having a set up in user functions in color, taking the shot, then doing the rest in my software...

Craig T. made a comment on another thread that it's not that he doesn't like b&w's, it's because of the motives of the photographer....
    ie, trying to salvage a poor image by converting it to b&w....

when i shoot what will become a b&w, i have already planned the shot, time of day, etc...the image was already in my mind as a b&w...
    the interesting thing is that the color version of the image is pretty **** good on it's own....

but that's just me....
    and i grew up shooting b&w and working with my daddy in his dark room with him....
    ironically, it's just been in the last few years that i have become interested in shooting b&w again...
    mostly because of this project i have been working photographing our barrier islands...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002