Home Photography Corner

B&W conversion techniques

Bumped into this article yesterday. I thought I would share it. I learned some things, perhaps you will too.

http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials/post-processing/7-black-and-white-photoshop-conversion-techniques/

Replies

• JDR aka BlueJDR aka Blue Posts: 43 Deckhand
    Better yet set camera to shoot in monochrome.. get truest exposures.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    John,
    Better yet set camera to shoot in monochrome.. get truest exposures.

i guess nikon must have a better algorithm than canon does for a b&w conversion...
    i have shot in b&w mode with both of my bodies and they do a decent job...
    but...
    not as good as having a set up in user functions in color, taking the shot, then doing the rest in my software...

Craig T. made a comment on another thread that it's not that he doesn't like b&w's, it's because of the motives of the photographer....
    ie, trying to salvage a poor image by converting it to b&w....

when i shoot what will become a b&w, i have already planned the shot, time of day, etc...the image was already in my mind as a b&w...
    the interesting thing is that the color version of the image is pretty **** good on it's own....

but that's just me....
    and i grew up shooting b&w and working with my daddy in his dark room with him....
    ironically, it's just been in the last few years that i have become interested in shooting b&w again...
    mostly because of this project i have been working photographing our barrier islands...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • JDR aka BlueJDR aka Blue Posts: 43 Deckhand
    Mac.. I coil not have said it any better, I guess both of us coming from a b&w back ground.