Old image from 2008 C&C

GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
Hello friends. I'd like some honest help. Back in January of 2008 I posted an image of a camellia here. It was my favorite flower image. Tim said he really liked it too. Here it is.

pink.jpg

Now sometime in the intervening years I lost the original from which this web version was made. I got a couple of requests for it from a few friends who wanted to print it but I could never find a good version. I thought it was lost on some tossed harddrive or something. Well tonight I found the original under a directory called Azalias for heaven's sake. Stupid me. :banghead Moreover, it looks like this was a very rare time I did not take a RAW with it. Again Stupid me.

Anyway, I do have a large JPeg so I sat down to size and process it for printing. For some reason, I don't seem to like it as well as I did. Moreover, I'm not sure I like even the first one that much anymore. It's probably just me and my tastes or maybe I take more care or something. So friends, please look at the original and the tonight version and tell me what you think. Is it a great image of a camellia you'd want on the wall, a decent version you'd use as a background for a day, or a sucky version you'd erase offf the drive. Let me know how you feel about the first one as well. Is it a better interpretation or worse or doesn't matter, they both stink. Please be honest because, I'm not going to promote it if the general opinion is it is not that good.

The image was taken with a D300 and a Nikon 60 f/2.8 Micro at f/8 which I think is a great flower macro lens.

pink_camellia-1-7-2008.jpg
Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    For me, and just me (i.e., my opinion) I like the second as the first seems to have the red channel pumped a little to saturate the blossom. Also, while a great photo with great light, the blossom itself seems to have moved past its prime. I don't know your Photoshop skills but cloning out the "yellowed" parts of the pedals would be worth the effort, albeit a tad time consuming.

I really like the light on the unopened blossoms.

It would be a stronger image if the leaf to the left was not covering the blossom.

And.....yes, our eye changes and our view changes as we gain skill. I am my own worst critic.

Wall hanger? Sure, after a little clean up.
  • GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    For me, and just me (i.e., my opinion) I like the second as the first seems to have the red channel pumped a little to saturate the blossom. Also, while a great photo with great light, the blossom itself seems to have moved past its prime. I don't know your Photoshop skills but cloning out the "yellowed" parts of the pedals would be worth the effort, albeit a tad time consuming.

I really like the light on the unopened blossoms.

It would be a stronger image if the leaf to the left was not covering the blossom.

Darn, now you have me wondering. I really liked the leaf and the slightly stale look with the yellow. Now I'm liking it worse. I've got a ton of Camellias in better prime but nothing interesting.

camillia.jpg
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Craig T.,
    Guidenet wrote: »
    Hello friends. I'd like some honest help. Back in January of 2008 I posted an image of a camellia here. It was my favorite flower image. Tim said he really liked it too. Here it is.

pink.jpg

Now sometime in the intervening years I lost the original from which this web version was made. I got a couple of requests for it from a few friends who wanted to print it but I could never find a good version. I thought it was lost on some tossed harddrive or something. Well tonight I found the original under a directory called Azalias for heaven's sake. Stupid me. :banghead Moreover, it looks like this was a very rare time I did not take a RAW with it. Again Stupid me.

Anyway, I do have a large JPeg so I sat down to size and process it for printing. For some reason, I don't seem to like it as well as I did. Moreover, I'm not sure I like even the first one that much anymore. It's probably just me and my tastes or maybe I take more care or something. So friends, please look at the original and the tonight version and tell me what you think. Is it a great image of a camellia you'd want on the wall, a decent version you'd use as a background for a day, or a sucky version you'd erase offf the drive. Let me know how you feel about the first one as well. Is it a better interpretation or worse or doesn't matter, they both stink. Please be honest because, I'm not going to promote it if the general opinion is it is not that good.

The image was taken with a D300 and a Nikon 60 f/2.8 Micro at f/8 which I think is a great flower macro lens.

pink_camellia-1-7-2008.jpg

OK...I'll be honest....
    I like them both....
    the differences between the 2 images is so subtle that there is no discernible impact...
    i also liked the leaf...it gives the image some depth....
    but...that's just me....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002