Nikon Equipment Junkies - Their is finally a price on the new flagship and lens

Looks like the D4 will be ~$6K and the 85 f1.8-G will be ~$500.

(How much was the D3s when it hit the marketplace? Wasn't it substantially less like $4,300, or something)

Crazy ISO range and disappointing video features (Nikon just cannot get this right) Yes, I know many here don't care about the video piece.

Body costs more than I thought the lens less.

Reported to be available in Feb so get your check book ready - LOL!

Being available in Feb. puts the stuff in the marketplace six months before the Olympics - enough time for testing and setting up for an individual shooters style.

More and specs here:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/01/04/nikon-d4-6000-nikkor-af-s-85mm-f1-8g-500.aspx/#more-29938

Replies

• GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    The D3 then the D3s were both released at around $5000 each. They fell in price for a while then rose back up. I think they are both over $5000 now.

I wonder how they made it so much lighter. I hope the robustness of the body isn't less. It's been a tank.
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    I will speculate the weight savings comes from using different battery technology, and decreasing battery size requirements due to circuitry efficiency.

A hard look at a 3D computer model of the magnesium body frame and putting it through a dynamic flexure routine also probably saved an ounce or three.

If the actual weight reduction is more than say (for talking purposes) five ounces, I would be impressed.
    A little more info. Here is the full release. Don't ask why it is on the Wells Fargo site.

https://wellsfargoadvisors.mworld.com/m/m.w?lp=GetStory&id=587442381
    I will speculate the weight savings comes from using different battery technology, and decreasing battery size requirements due to circuitry efficiency. A hard look at a 3D computer model of the magnesium body frame and putting it through a dynamic flexure routine also probably saved an ounce or three. If the actual weight reduction is more than say (for talking purposes) five ounces, I would be impressed.

We can only wait and see. I am probably not a player for this camera though. It's just not what I'm needing. I'm holding out for a D800 or maybe even a D400 crop camera. We'll have to wait and see. I love the idea of 36 megapixels in a full frame, though I know megapixels aren't the most important thing in the world. Still, I'd love all that room to crop with. I also might consider the one without an anti-alias filter. I'm not sure about the advantages or disadvantages, but I am a sharpness freak and don't mind fixing moire in post.
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • FishdflatsFishdflats Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Looks like the D4 will be ~$6K and the 85 f1.8-G will be ~$500.

(How much was the D3s when it hit the marketplace? Wasn't it substantially less like $4,300, or something)

Crazy ISO range and disappointing video features (Nikon just cannot get this right) Yes, I know many here don't care about the video piece.

Body costs more than I thought the lens less.

Reported to be available in Feb so get your check book ready - LOL!

Being available in Feb. puts the stuff in the marketplace six months before the Olympics - enough time for testing and setting up for an individual shooters style.

More and specs here:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/01/04/nikon-d4-6000-nikkor-af-s-85mm-f1-8g-500.aspx/#more-29938

Is out http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7799914638/nikon-d4-overview/2.

I am still waiting for a d300s replacement. Hopefully we hear something about it by March.
    -Luis
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Guidenet wrote: »
    We can only wait and see. I am probably not a player for this camera though. It's just not what I'm needing. I'm holding out for a D800 or maybe even a D400 crop camera. We'll have to wait and see. I love the idea of 36 megapixels in a full frame, though I know megapixels aren't the most important thing in the world. Still, I'd love all that room to crop with. I also might consider the one without an anti-alias filter. I'm not sure about the advantages or disadvantages, but I am a sharpness freak and don't mind fixing moire in post.

Yes, I understand your position. I know several Nikon shooting day in, day out photographers and one (freelance) photojournalism type. Each of them have told me they cannot afford the D4 body. It is fairly silly at the asking price.

However, the reason the D4 is important to the average joe is because it shows where Nikon is going with technology and will (hopefully) trickle down to other cameras, if not in this generation then certainly in the next.

Features and specs I am impressed with regarding last night product description release (in no particular order):

1. Back lit buttons. I have been asking for this for at lease 10 years - there was no reason it could not have been done much earlier. For anyone who shoots in the pre-dawn, as I do, back lit buttons will be very nice.

2. Crazy high burst rate and buffer size - a reported buffer capable of holding 100 frames.

3. Better (faster) AF - and better continuous AF lock. Reported to be two stops better.

4. Some of the video stuff that I will not go into because few here care.

I am sure there is more, the list is just off the top of my head. If the new AF scheme makes it into the other two pro cameras that would be nice.

About the D800 rumors. It will be interesting to see what the sensor is all about and read the final MP count. I am confused about who the camera targeting. With such a high reported MP and such a slow burst rate it lead one to believe it is almost a studio camera. Of course the easy answer is it is a landscape camera. While the D800 will be great in that regard, it is difficult to believe Nikon has targeted that specifically, the niche is too small. It will also be interesting to see if Nikon actually releases, as has been rumored, a camera without the aliasing filter. I believe there is one in the lab, we will see if it makes it to market.

D400, or whatever it will be called, should have the D7000 sensor, with pro features, better viewer, maybe a better LCD screen and I hope better (faster) AF. I am not impressed with my D7K. Frankly, as I have written in other threads here, I am starting to think my D90 is a nicer camera.
    Check out the files here of ISO 6400. They are the first high ISO files I found.

They are *.jpegs and resized, but they are downloadable. Pretty clean. The skater and the two doods wrestling.

http://www.nikon.com.au/en_AU/product_details.page?DCRPath=templatedata%2Fen_AU%2Fsaleable_product_information%2Fdata%2FDigital+SLR+Cameras%2FD4.xml&currentProductTab=4&CategoryID=gp11zkm9

Also, with regard to the skater photo, note the size. It is a 16Mb, 8 bit (depth) *.jpeg file.

Buy a new gun.......need a new computer.....at least jam the one you have with memory.

I wonder how big *.NEF files are.....25Mb?
    I read an article by Thom I think which talked about who the 36 mp was marketed to and it was not the working pro but us guys. We are the ones who think we need or desire more megapixels. I agree. I really just want more pixels on the target which this D800 would provide. I've got many images I missed because I could not get closer and when I cropped, I pixelated before getting close enough.

Cropping is just a type of digital zoom. The deeper you crop, the worse the IQ. The more pixels you have the deeper you can go before crapping out. Simple as that. Doubling your pixel count pretty much is like increasing your focal length by half. This means that moving from a 12 mp APS-C to a 24 mp APS-C is like adding a 1.4 teleconverter. It doesn't seem like much because of such a high pixel count, but so what? Who wouldn't mind a 1.4 teleconverter for free. I don't mean free money, I mean free as in no degredation. So, I'd want a minimum of a 24 mp crop camera or a 36 mp full frame, and hopefully, that will be the two choices.

For me and my style, I just see no advantage in paying for this this D4 over my D700. That's just my style and $6,000 holding me back. So I get a little better ISO performance and a faster frame rate. Don't need more of either much. The four megapixels amount to so very ittle it's not worth discussing. My D700 doesn't have movie capability and I could care less if it did. The D4 is marginally lighter than my gripped D700 and smaller too. Not enough to worry about, again, based on my style.

As well as that, if the new D400 is only a 16 mp sensor from the D7000, I'll also not be a player. You'd have to step it up to the Sony 24 mp sensor to be of interest. Or, you could make it full frame and use the 24 MP sensor that is in the D3x for an enthusiast priced FX camera. Even with Nikon's conservative ways, I think the inexpensve full frame is the way they might go. I'd also be a player for that. Something like a D400 FX at $1995 and $2495 with a mid zoom of some sort. Anyway, just some rambling with Craig and the rest.
  • FishdflatsFishdflats Posts: 176 Deckhand
    You're right on Craig on the megapixels. I wonder how much is enough though. I honestly thought that the D4 was going to have more megapixels than it did. In my humble opinion, it looks like Nikon spend more time in video and low light capabilities. I wonder if we are not to see a D400 but rather a d7000 replacement that would fulfill the current D300s and D7000 market. I am also wondering if the D800 will be it, but capable of shooting full frame or DX. I am still waiting. Regardless, any camera at this point is an upgrade to my D80.
    -Luis
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TumbleweedTomTumbleweedTom Posts: 1,987 Officer
    So.., no one's really commented on the len$, except the price is a little < than expected?

For those newbies still searchin'

Yea, or nay?
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." Tom Waits.
    So.., no one's really commented on the len$, except the price is a little < than expected?

For those newbies still searchin'

Yea, or nay?

There is another thread where this got discussed somewhat. Nikon has a number of 85mm lenses.

I am confident the 85G will perform beautifully, but I think some of us will wait for the pros to compare to the 85D.

The new 50G is well liked and sharper at the edges than the 50D....so....again given that Nikon has proven themselves with the 50 and are upscaling it, if you will to the 85, the 85G will be fine. I said it was perhaps a touch high on price bet hey, that is the way it is.

Me, I like my lenses with an iris ring. The 85G has none. Call me old fashioned. I can accept that.
    The problem is aperture rings are gone. They ain't gonna do them anymore. Besides you just lock them at max closed when they are there. You just can't use the on your oldest film Nikons.

I looked pretty closely today at the MTF chart of both my new 85 f/1.4 AFS G and Nikon's published chart for the new 85 f/1.8 AFS G. I also looked at both the old AFD models and put all four on the screen at once. First let me say I'm totally a non-expert at reading MTF charts. I was just looking at the standard stuff I sort of understand. Here's what it looks like to me.

The one I have, the 85 f/1.4 AFS G is sharp from the center out to the edge and sharp wide open at f/1.4. Stopping down is not represented in the MTF charts. When the dotted and solid lines are close together, bokeh is supposed to be good, something about spherical aberation. Anyway, the two lines are close together.

The new 85 f/1.8 AFS G actually looks as good or maybe better quite honestly from this poor guy's viewpoint and understanding. The two lines are very high and very close together from the center to the edge. I think that means we might have one heck of a great lens on our hands and a real bargain at $499.

Again, I'm just using my not so good knowledge of how to read an MTF scale and this after rereading Nikon's explainations of those charts. You need to go do that for yourself and see if you agree. If I'm right, then maybe I spent three times what I needed to spend this last month on a new 85 portrait lens. On the other hand, the 85 f/1.4 AFS G is a bit larger and heavier with a magnesium barrel protected by a high quality plastic covering. It also has Nano coatings which I really believe in these days. The f/1.8 version is mostly high quality plastic and the standard SIC coatings.

The real tests should be out in a month or so and we'll see if it's as good as those MTF charts seem to say. One more thing, and this is purely me. I claim that certain glass has built in magic that can't be explained. My old 85 f/1.4 had it in buckets. This new one does too. The 85 f/1.8 AFD did not have that magic whatever it is even though it was considered sharper. A few other lenses i've owned also have this magic. Most don't. We'll just have to wait and see about this on the new 85 f/1.8 AFS G. You might still have to pay the big bucks for magic glass.
    There is another thread where this got discussed somewhat. Nikon has a number of 85mm lenses.

I am confident the 85G will perform beautifully, but I think some of us will wait for the pros to compare to the 85D.

The new 50G is well liked and sharper at the edges than the 50D....so....again given that Nikon has proven themselves with the 50 and are upscaling it, if you will to the 85, the 85G will be fine. I said it was perhaps a touch high on price bet hey, that is the way it is.

Me, I like my lenses with an iris ring. The 84G has none. Call me old fashioned. I can accept that.

Thanks.., Mr. Old Fashioned. Seriously, I do appreciate the "get back."

Must have missed that post on the 85's. Will check again.
    Remember the one by Gidenet on the 85 G he purchased, but that baby is $1800.00
    Way out of my range for now.., particularly since "bokeh" is one of my few concerns at this point.

I do have the new Nikon 50mm f/1.8 G and have enjoyed playing with this, but being a novice have no reference point(s) to compare as of yet.
    Do sincerely appreciate the information you fellows share here, and will continue to lurk.
    Thanks again. TT.
    Hey TT, I've got an idea. You need to get that new 85 f/1.8 AFS G to let us here on this forum know what it's like. Count me in as one vote for this to happen, but not gonna help. LOL

I'm thinking this will be the best portrait lens one can buy for both DX and FX if you're looking for a killer bargain. I'm interested in knowing the:
    • bokeh quality
    • focusing speed
    • whether or not there's any color fringing
    • center sharpness

You might say, why would he care since he just bought the more expensive one. Well, I'm thinking about Jan, my gal who could use this lens. She loves 85mm but doesn't need the extra 2/3 rd stop. I'm also thinking about one for my daughter in Denver who's a professional wedding photographer. It would be perfect for her if everything checks out. That's why I'm so keen on this lens. If it does, I'll be spending another $1000 for two of them. :)
    LOL, Craig, I like your idea for TT !!

TT, the newbies have to step up to play!!

I agree I think your purchase, experimenting and letting us know is the right way to go!
    LOL, Craig, I like your idea for TT !!

TT, the newbies have to step up to play!!

I agree I think your purchase, experimenting and letting us know is the right way to go!

Yea, I like his idea too.., except for the participation$ part.
    I'd have to go sell my boat(s) and fishing equipment and that ain't gonna happen.

Almost afraid to show you guys anything..., my normal habitat on here (you may know W.E.*) is Sports. Not a "user friendly" place.

*On a side note..W.E. you know a fellow named T. Aiello?