Frustrating Scope Issue

Grrr! I was really excited to finally put a new scope on my rifle after using a 30+ year old Weaver on my 7mm mag for my whole life. Read the reviews, did my homework, thought I was getting a great value with a Nikon Buckmaster. Had it mounted and bore sighted where I purchased it and off to the farm I went. First of all the bore sighting was pretty far off. Had to get to 40 yards and 4 rounds to find it 6 inches right. No big deal until i start clicking the windage and it doesn't move...4 clicks, no movement at all...6 more clicks, no movement...8 clicks, no movement.

Now I'm half a box of ammo down and no closer to a solution. So off to the stand I go, figuring that if I can get one within 50 yards I can compensate (at least I know where the shots are going). Just before dark, 2 big does pop out at about 100 yards and feed off into the sunset too far to reach...grrrr.

Call Nikon the next day and they have me tighten it all down and back it off 160 clicks to bring it back to factory zero. Set up my target and BOOOM...still 6 inches right.

I mean, what are the odds of getting a scope that won't zero?? Now I get to unmount it and send it back and start over...they need to send me an ammo voucher!:banghead

Replies

• yakmanyakman Posts: 63 Deckhand
    I am not sure what kind of rings you have, but Burris has adjustable rings. I use them on all my rifles. They sell a kit for $15.00 bucks.(Burris 1" Signature Ring Pos-Align Offset Inserts Installation Kit .005, .010 and .020) Their rings are around $35.00. You can adjust your cross hairs to the optical center of your scope using their spacers. Then you have the use of all your scopes adjustment. They are also rock solid when mount them. You can find them at Midway Shooting Supplies.

If you have dovetail style rings and they were not installed properly. Your scope could have been bent. I have a piece of 1" drill rod that I use to rotate the rings without damaging the scope. Then align the rings using the drill rod. I hope this helps.
  • JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Posts: 723 Officer
    At 40 yds each click is only going to move your bullet maybe 3/32". Is it a bolt gun? Remove the bolt and bore sight it by looking through the barrel at a target or small object 50 to 100yds away. Adjust the scope until it is aiming at whatever your looking at through the barrel. That should get you real close, on paper for sure.

The 18 clicks you moved it may have only been 1-1/2 to 2" of adjustment which probably just looked like part of your group. It will take ALOT of clicks to move your POI 6" at 40 yds.
  • launchpadlaunchpad Posts: 386 Officer
    were you letting the barrel get cooled down after each shot? trying to sight in a new scope in too much of a hurry will eat your ammo and have you guessing
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    At 40 yds each click is only going to move your bullet maybe 3/32". Is it a bolt gun? Remove the bolt and bore sight it by looking through the barrel at a target or small object 50 to 100yds away. Adjust the scope until it is aiming at whatever your looking at through the barrel. That should get you real close, on paper for sure.

The 18 clicks you moved it may have only been 1-1/2 to 2" of adjustment which probably just looked like part of your group. It will take ALOT of clicks to move your POI 6" at 40 yds.
    :Agree
    To add to that a bit.. it is critical the scope be inline with the bore... every scope has a limited amount of adjustment so if it is mounted improperly it may be too far off for the amount of adjustment you have in the scope's windage or elevation. The fact that you had to move to within 40yds to get on paper an it was still off 6" tells me that might be the case and I don't think i'd use that gunsmith again at that.
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • Duckbill68Duckbill68 Posts: 263 Deckhand
    Bore sighting should be done at 25 yds and you can do it yourself like Josh said. Take the scope off, re-mount it and bore sight it at 25 yds. Then move out to 100yds. Personally I wouldn't have gone to the woods with that rifle, but I'm glad you resisted the temptation to shoot at those does.
  • lowfive crablowfive crab Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    That's all good advice...I have been hunting all of my life but I have either purchased guns with scopes already mounted or inhereted guns with scopes. I've never had to do anything more than fine tune the sighting. It is a bolt action so I shold probably go to the range and start over on the bore sighting before i send the scope back. It is still puzzling to me though that there was zero movement with that many clicks...but I'm easily puzzled by things I don't understand
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Post some pics of the scope / mounts. Are there any adjustment on them? I forget the name of them but the ones I always use you can adjust the scope left or right (thru 2 screws on the rear mount) so you can get it near dead on before fine tuning with the scope adjustment.
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • kemster99kemster99 Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Switch up to the Dead Nutz one piece scope mount. If available for your rifle. Am switching all my rifles to that mount. very solid.
    Love the DNZ mounts. I wont by anything else as long as they are available.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,084 Officer
    Nikon seems pretty popular - haven't heard much bad stuff about them.

I bought a Bushnell a few years back that would not hold a zero with a muzzleloader. Brought it back and got a VX-II, I like that scope.

Then this year I started playing with a toy .357 rifle and handloads, was trying to find a economically-priced USA made scope other than low-end version Leopolds and Redfields - found out Vortex makes scopes in the US and found a Vortex Viper 2-7 for $150 (a steal). What a nice scope. I went to buy another and they were sold out.

My advice is to get another scope. Send the scope back to them and ask for your money back or the next better version.

These days I'm very focused on American companies - don't care if the german/european/japanese/chinese/etc scopes allow you to see in the dark - if buying one doesn't help an American factory worker to pay his bills, I probably won't buy it. The extra costs are seen as investing in my country.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    I read an article about fitting scopes. Over tightening the rings can have an effect on site-in outcome.
  • JRussellJRussell Posts: 1,411 Officer
    Love the DNZ mounts. I wont by anything else as long as they are available.

X2. I got one for my 270 and mounted a new nikon prostaff on it. It was within a couple inches at 100yds before I sighted it in.
    The Florida Hunters Network Facebook page
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,819 Captain
    Rich M wrote: »
    was trying to find a economically-priced USA made scope other than low-end version Leopolds and Redfields - found out Vortex makes scopes in the US and found a Vortex Viper 2-7 for $150 (a steal). What a nice scope. I went to buy another and they were sold out.

I picked one of those up form SWFA as well and put it on my Marlin 1895 .45-70. Vortex makes some excellent scopes in the Viper line. The glass is as good as a Leupold's and Vortex is probably the only optics company out there that has customer service and a warranty better than Leupold's.
  • willwork4duckswillwork4ducks Posts: 65 Deckhand
    A few things to add to this thread hopefully they are helpful. This line of scopes uses leaf springs to adjust the reticle. There are times when the leaf springs get stuck and no amount of clicks will actually adjust anything. This sounds crude but try knocking on the scope with a blunt object to try and free them up. It's actually common place in most really cold weather climates.

When it comes to US made scopes, meopta makes some incredible glass in the style of European optics (because they are headquartered there). Myself and everyone I know who uses them are very impressed. Scopes are made and assembled in long island new york. They actually make a lot of domestic line scopes from the big euro brands. They do the work and the other guys slap their name on it. You would be surprised which big names are really meopta scopes.

Just my .02
    Ok....so surprise us...Which big name scopes are meopta's?
  • ComfortablyDrunkComfortablyDrunk Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    It's been rumored that Meopta supply the glass for the Zeiss Conquest line. Also, the high end Cabelas scopes are all rebranded Meoptas. Nonetheless, they are very good scopes.
    Suspect Formerly Known As RMB
    Interesting. Never looked through a meopta but have heard good things. I HAVE looked through a few zeiss scopes and they are top notch for sure.
    Rumors are not always true but in this case they very well maybe.......

And yes the euro line at cabelas are meopta private label.

Nonetheless they are primo optics.
  • Duckbill68Duckbill68 Posts: 263 Deckhand
    I had a pair of Meopta Bino's a while back. They weren't put together real solid, but the optics were awesome. I loved them, especially for an inexpensive pair. It made me sad when they broke.
    Check the warranty you may be able to get them fixed. They are making an iPhone camera adapter for their spotting scope. As soon as I get mine I'll post some pictures.