Home Fly Fishing

Pensacola Cobia fishing

spooledspooled Posts: 2 Greenhorn
I have a friend that lives near Pensacola that was talking about cobia fishing there in April or May being real hot but he is a spin guy. Does any know of a guide down there that chases them with a fly. Thanks Anthony

Replies

• Sage ManSage Man Posts: 195 Officer
    Yes...I'll try to get his contact information but get in touch with Gjuro Brewer.

He's excellent and did a lot of the groundwork on flyfishing for cobia. He's figured out spots where the fish cross the sandbars and will get you shots. I've only fished with him once (site fishing for redfish in the marsh) but I can tell you he's excellent. He's also a highly thought of tarpon guide in the panhandle.
  • Sage ManSage Man Posts: 195 Officer
    Also, Captain Clif (one "f") Jones is very good in that regard. He fishes further to the west (Pensacola, Perdido Key etc.) than Gjuro but you can't go wrong either way. I'll try to track down some contact info but they've got websites and stuff I guess. I'm just not very good with computers.
  • spooledspooled Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thank you for there info I found there websites. Thanks again
  • BullsharkBullshark Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Contact Hotspots Bait and tackel in Gulf Breeze, Fl. Captain Matt is awesome. He was the one who guided the boat the show City Limits Fishing was filmed on. Get him to stop at one of his inshore grouper spots while your at it.
  • TexTex Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    The Anastasia in Destin has a guy that goes after the record every year for the past few years. They have it down to a science. The middle two weeks of April is a can't miss really if the weather is right. Im getting mine this year...I was so **** close last year.
  • TexTex Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Also Pat Dineen runs a little pathfinder that is set up for fly guys and knows the drill when it comes to cobia fishing.

http://www.flyliner.com/
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,318 Admiral
    Pat Dinneen is the real deal and there are tons of Cobia up here in the spring. Your buddy is shooting straight on this one.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.