Home Off Topic

Rafter repair

tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
Is it acceptable to nail a sister rafter to a water damaged (now dry) rafter? Or is replacing the rafter the only way to go?

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    tag wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to nail a sister rafter to a water damaged (now dry) rafter? Or is replacing the rafter the only way to go?

Per the Timber Code, the sister rafter has to be no less than four times the clean "break" or butt joint. Since it is a damaged area what does that look like.

Also many times before the four times length is met you come to a bearing surface like a top plate.

There is a nailing schedule but just go crazy with 16 penny nails.

Also sister on each side if you can.

If it is a rafter tail, not much more than a nailer for the facia and soffit, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Also, FYI, the timber code and IBC are overkill in this case because there is no snow load surcharge, in almost all of FL. Overkill that is with the exception of uplift force due to design wind speed.

Hope that helps.
  • proline251proline251 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    That pretty much sums it up.
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    I wouldn't scab on a fix, I would just install a new rafter on either side of the old rafter so the decking joints would be on either side of the old rafter. Just run it from the double plate(on the top of the wall) to the ridge. No need for a tail.
    Around here we refer to a patch as a "scab". Sistering is putting a new member next to the old member.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,523 Admiral
    Twin it on each side as far as you can and nail the tater out of it
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    Thanks for the advice. After digging into the project it looks like I night be able to replace the rafter after all. The issue I had was the chimney sits on the beginning two feet of the rafter. I'm able to gently jack up the chimney by an inch or so to get to the rafter.
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    Is the rafter twisted?
    Calusa wrote: »
    Is the rafter twisted?

No. It has a strip of rot on top that is 5 feet long and 1-1 1/2 inch deep. The rafter is 16 feet long.
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    tag wrote: »
    No. It has a strip of rot on top that is 5 feet long and 1-1 1/2 inch deep. The rafter is 16 feet long.

Is that all? Scab it on each side and call it done. That's a 10 minute job.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,523 Admiral
    Only problem is rot begets rot. Hows the decking on the topside of the joist
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,387 Officer
    If it was water damage and dry now, just scab a new board on each side, and go drink some beer. I'd buy a 16' and whack it in half, and start nailing. Use 16D nails and and run a row top and bottom 1 1/2" from the edge and 8" apart. You could even polish off a few brews while you're doing the job! It's hot up in those rafters/trusses.
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    there is little you can do to repair a rafter. we are ruined.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • hebegbhebegb Posts: 8,722 Officer

All the kings roids and all the kings supplements......

No wonder everyone picks on you.