Home Off Topic

Verizon to charge a new fee effictive Jan 15th for, wait for it, paying your bill

flatsjunkie88flatsjunkie88 Posts: 1,364 Officer
Customers can avoid the fee if they setup AutoPay or use ACH payments

If it isn't the banks trying to nickel and dime consumers, there's always some other industry that’s willing to step up to plate and milk customers for a few extra dollars every month. Today, we learn that the largest wireless carrier in the United States, Verizon Wireless, is going to start implementing a $2 convenience fee on payments made over the phone and even online.

Customers who pay by electronic check (ACH) and those that enroll in AutoPay using any payment method won't have to worry about the fee. However, if you are one of the old school folks that like to pay by phone or if you for some reason like paying your bills online every month without the use of AutoPay, be prepared to fork over some extra cash.

http://www.dailytech.com/Quick+Note+Verizon+Readies+2+Convenience+Fee+for+Online+Phone+Payments+/article23630.htm

Replies

• Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Welcome to 2012
  • BibBib Posts: 2,357 Captain
    How can you auto-pay when the bill is a different amount every month? Mine is, +/- a buck or so.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,230 AG
    Bib wrote: »
    How can you auto-pay when the bill is a different amount every month? Mine is, +/- a buck or so.

You just authorize a withdrawal from you account. Doesn't matter the amount.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    You just authorize a withdrawal from you account. Doesn't matter the amount.

Like that is gonna happen... :rolleyes

They also said you can still walk into a store and pay, without any fee. So lemme get this straight... you take up an employee's time, at the expense of the company, but yet charge where no employee is involved. Right? pffffft!
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    got ants? wrote: »
    Like that is gonna happen... :rolleyes

They also said you can still walk into a store and pay, without any fee. So lemme get this straight... you take up an employee's time, at the expense of the company, but yet charge where no employee is involved. Right? pffffft!

If you call in to pay you are still using an employee's time. If you pay with a credit card, they are charged a fee from the CC company. That said, I'm about to dump Verizon for my home phone.
  • flatsjunkie88flatsjunkie88 Posts: 1,364 Officer
    I bet you could use this to get out of your contract w/ no early termination fee.
  • jamesfreddycjamesfreddyc Posts: 960 Officer
    pupraiser wrote: »
    That said, I'm about to dump Verizon for my home phone.

I haven't had a home/landline phone since 1999. Just never could justify paying for something I simply never use!
    B2B/Direct Sales Opportunity for SaaS/Cloud Software.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?43261-B2B-Direct-Sales-Opportunity
    I haven't had a home/landline phone since 1999. Just never could justify paying for something I simply never use!

I use it a lot. Plus I needed it for the security system. I'm understanding that I can use VOIP for it. We'll see.
    I use it a lot. Plus I needed it for the security system. I'm understanding that I can use VOIP for it. We'll see.
    Just get a wireless receiver for your security system. If a person knows what they are doing the first thing they are going to do is go to the little box on the side of your house and cut the phone lines.
    Just get a wireless receiver for your security system. If a person knows what they are doing the first thing they are going to do is go to the little box on the side of your house and cut the phone lines.

I know. The wireless thingy was like $300 plus an increase to my ADT monthly fee. I didn't want to pay that.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    ... if you are one of the old school folks that like to pay by phone ...

Ain't that a contradiction?
    23895.gif
  • GJBenn85GJBenn85 Posts: 1,364 Officer
    Just set up AutoPay on a credit card. Easy and much easier to protest if they charge the wrong amount. I have Verizon set up for AutoPay for my company's cell phones as well as clients' cell phones and there has never been a billing issue.
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    I bet you could use this to get out of your contract w/ no early termination fee.

X2
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    This thread is worthless without another pic of Flats fiance
    This thread is worthless without another pic of Flats fiance
    Easy killer, we are not engaged yet.

Due to all the customer outlash over this Verizon has decided not to charge the fee. You figured they would have learned from BOA and Netflix.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2011/12/pr2011-12-30.html

12/30/2011

Verizon Wireless has decided it will not institute the fee for online or telephone single payments that was announced earlier this week.

The company made the decision in response to customer feedback about the plan, which was designed to improve the efficiency of those transactions. The company continues to encourage customers to take advantage of the numerous simple and convenient payment methods it provides.

“At Verizon, we take great care to listen to our customers. Based on their input, we believe the best path forward is to encourage customers to take advantage of the best and most efficient options, eliminating the need to institute the fee at this time,” said Dan Mead, president and chief executive officer of Verizon Wireless.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    I saw they backed off over consumer complains...however, I thought credit card companies made merchants agree not to add a surcharge due to the cardholder paying with their card.
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    Mark O. wrote: »
    I saw they backed off over consumer complains...however, I thought credit card companies made merchants agree not to add a surcharge due to the cardholder paying with their card.

Can't be. (some) Gas stations make you pay more whenpaying with a credit card.
  • GanchoGancho Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Mark O. wrote: »

They tried to impose that mandate but, someone on a higher branch up in the tree nixed it.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    I know. The wireless thingy was like $300 plus an increase to my ADT monthly fee. I didn't want to pay that.

If your contract is done tell them your going to leave if they don't take care of you. Think I paid 99 bucks fir the wireless adaptor and same monthly fee or maybe 5 bucks more, than I dumped my landline.