Spring Turkey... does it help to know where they are roosting in late Dec?

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,905 Moderator
Went to woods this morning for a 70 minute sit before work. Was hoping to pop a doe during our doe week. No luck there.

I did, however, watch about a dozen turkeys fly down from a big ol' pine at day break.

Is that bit of info good to know come spring time, or is it hard to say?
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,285 Admiral
    Hard to say. Better to know where the hens are in mid February as the gobblers will soon follow.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,905 Moderator
    Gotcha.

With only 40 acres it's going to take some luck, but I'm not ruling anything out. I know that from August through the end of Feb they cross some part of the property at least once a day.

I semi-tried turky hunt last spring one time. Just sat in a deer stand, hit my el-cheapo walmart grenade call once and got a gobble back about 200 yards to my left. So I know last year at least one gobbler was on the property.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • BnTBnT Posts: 6,644 Admiral
    I would sit on the ground and not in a tree stand.. I feel like turkeys always have an eye in the sky. I get busted by turkeys while deer hunting far more than i do when im on the ground turkey hunting.
    "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day... Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard"
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Sharky is always clocky, bnt is sometimes sharky,
    sharky is sometimes bnt, but bnt is never clocky
    Start running bird seed in your feeder without corn. Feed 2 times a day with short bursts of about 2-3 seconds. That's enough to chum them up and keep them there. You can either stop running the feeder 2 weeks out and be legal or ust stay more than 100 yds away from it when you hunt.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

• PalmettoKidPalmettoKid Posts: 847 Officer
    Hens roost in same spot year round until the hunters push them out, at least that has been my observation where I hunt. Leave them alone, the hens should stay, the gobblers break up but will come through like clockwork. You can kill several gobblers off the same group of hens in a matter of days.
    No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
    Bobjr86 wrote: »
    Ok so i hunted florida for my first time yesterday and have to say i was really disappointed.
  • GlennGlenn Citrus County, FLPosts: 1,668 Captain
    They may stay in the general area but I notice that turkeys migrate from fall roosting areas to spring roost. being that you only have 40 acres you probally need to keep those feeders going to keep them close.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    Hens will be more spread out come spring. I see birds in the same areas spring and fall but they don't always roost in the same area. They may roost there Monday and not again till Thursday, etc... Knowing where they roost is only part of it though. You can kill em all day. I kill most of mine between 10 & 1
  • PalmettoKidPalmettoKid Posts: 847 Officer
    I agree, late morning action is epic.

Don't get discouraged if you don't get one right at the crack of dawn, I swear they are easier to kill later on during the day even though they are less vocal.
    No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
    Bobjr86 wrote: »
    Ok so i hunted florida for my first time yesterday and have to say i was really disappointed.
    Yup, we didn't kill a single bird before 10:30 -11:00 am all season long. Like they say, "Roostin' Ain't Roastin'!"

• omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,125 Captain
    I will say some are less vocal during the middle off the day. My last bird last year was at noon. We'd been writing on them for two or three days. I finally won when they gobbled to a woodpecker and told he where they were headed. Circled back to where we started and shot one of the two. One was gobbling and strutting the whole way.

Keep the feeder running up until season to keep them around. 40 acres isn't enough to good them.