another minn kota problem

i have a 2006 minn kota riptide 80 trolling motor. it came with the boat and i don't have cash to replace , otherwise i would. the latest problem is that i can test the batteries with the tester on the motor housing , and all icons are lit , indicating fully charged batteries. when i deploy the motor by disengaging the lock , a green lit is supposed to illuminate , it does not. i can't get the motor to turn on with the remotes , so there must be no power going to the motor from the plug. if that is the case then why do the battery test icons work ? I don't have a voltmeter handy , otherwise i would check.This motor has been big disappointment since i bought the boat 3 years ago !

Replies

• RiverlifeRiverlife North FloridaPosts: 86 Greenhorn
    Gsdan
    You see Boattronics on this Forum regular, drop him a PM to call you & set up a visit, he took care of my Trolling issues, he will get you going.
  • Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    Call Charlie @ trolling motor services. He may be able to tell you what and where to look. ( 904 ) 573-0480
  • reelhookerreelhooker Posts: 644 Officer
    I do believe there is a ground wire in the control box. That might have a bad connection. It happened with my old minn. Is it only not working when using the remote? Do you get power when hand or foot operating it?
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,201 Admiral
    Riverlife wrote: »
    Gsdan
    You see Boattronics on this Forum regular, drop him a PM to call you & set up a visit, he took care of my Trolling issues, he will get you going.

Thank you very much for the refferal!

I think you have one of two things happening. First..... did you change the batteries in your remote? If yes, then it is probably a loose or corroded conection. It could test good voltage when not under load, but the second you try to put it under load the bad connection causes the voltage to drop.

Call me at 545-1270, and we will set up a time, bring it by my shop and Ill will diagnose the problem for you for free. It is most likely be a quick, easy fix.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270