With this cold front, its time to reminisce over big fish

The fishing this year in our Northeast region has been very good. Once since the cold snap that hit us earlier in the year finally disappeared it has been nonstop. Whether its been big sheeps, reds, or trout its been a very good year. I am posting some pics of catches this year to reminisce over since its winter now and the recent cold front has seemed to shrink the fish size wise. Here's to the new year and hopefully another great year next year. Catch em up.

bigsheep.jpg
double.jpg
monstertrout2.jpg
P6260236.jpg
P6260226.jpg
monstertrout.jpg
IMG_20110512_005023.jpg
IMG_20110511_211211.jpg
IMG_20110508_214852.jpg
IMG_20110510_231908.jpg
IMG_20110510_203749.jpg
IMG_20110508_201753.jpg
230924_10150173416131776_623736775_7396301_8119485_n.jpg
197056_1881083914793_1472166528_32066099_4907594_n-1.jpg
190052_579561024982_208100823_33012278_3053693_n.jpg

Replies

• nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,623 Captain
    Nice pics...:)

The last one though with the girl holding a fish with a towel, not good. Only touch fish with wet hands. This is one reason I do not like landing nets. It is best to handle a fish as little as possible if you plan on releasing them. I really wish the FLA would not allow landing nets.

But there is a good chance that red is going to the table:)

Nice pics and 2011 has been a good year:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • F1D2F1D2 Posts: 331 Deckhand
    I believe that fish handling critique's is what stopped others from posting fishing reports and pics on the crashed forum and this new one as well....I may be wrong though.

You should never bring a fish out of the water unless you are going to keep and eat it in a perfect world.
  • FlatheadfishermanFlatheadfisherman Posts: 803 Officer
    Nice pictures. How big were some of those trout? Monsters. Thanks for posting.
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,189 Admiral
    Dude?
    The fish dont get smaller in the winter, they get bigger!
    This may be the Budwieser talking, but I seem to recall several promises of "Gator trout" fishing trips while hanging upside down in your bilge.... for free! It's obvious you've been fishing...... without me?
    Im calling Katie now to tell her she needs a new man, (Ill make something up) and Im sending you a bill, lol!
    Oh, and nice trout, but that baby sheep needs ta go back bro. Call me when you want to catch a keeper.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • Captain BrianCaptain Brian Posts: 336 Officer
    I'll be the jerk to say it, and to heck with anyone that says anything to the contrary. There is absurdly no reason to be tagging and bagging any of those trout! Nice worm bags no doubt, but taking a fish like that out of the breeding population is ridiculous.
  • BigchocolatelabBigchocolatelab Posts: 129 Officer
    Tony- I'm down whenever to fish. I haven't fished in a while, but your right I do owe you a trip. You did great work on the boat bro. I did call you right after you did that work, but your kid was born that day lol. After that I went back down to Tampa. I just moved back but I really do appreciate the work you did. I'll shoot you a text next time I head out your way. I do want to get on some big sheep.

Cap Brain- you are right about the trout, that is why they were all released. Every single one of those trout were released. Even the ones at the boat ramp were released buddy. They were kept alive in the release well for a pic. My buddy wanted a pic with the gators because it was the biggest trout he had ever caught and we caught them on the lights at night so we couldn't get a pic in the dark. It swam off like nothing happened. I don't even take legal trout home. Thanks for the concern though. Just a question though, why do you assume I'm taking them home? All the pics are of them and then they are released. Its not like there in a cooler waiting on ice.

BTW that girl with the redfish took that one home. It was a perfect 26 1/2 inch red. She brought it home. The smallest trout of those pics was 26 with the largest going 30 inches. Some big boys this summer.
  • Captain BrianCaptain Brian Posts: 336 Officer
    Sorry if I got all jumpy on ya. Too many people take the big momma's home thinking they eat great and should be hung on their wall when all they're really doing is damaging future stocks. Should not have assumed they were tagged and bagged. Couple of the pics they look kinda ragged and have a road in the background. Guess that's the ramp though. My bad. Here's to every angler getting the opportunity to catch (and release) a gator trout someday! Nice catches fo sho!
    Tony- I'm down whenever to fish. I haven't fished in a while, but your right I do owe you a trip. You did great work on the boat bro. I did call you right after you did that work, but your kid was born that day lol. After that I went back down to Tampa. I just moved back but I really do appreciate the work you did. I'll shoot you a text next time I head out your way. I do want to get on some big sheep.

Cap Brain- you are right about the trout, that is why they were all released. Every single one of those trout were released. Even the ones at the boat ramp were released buddy. They were kept alive in the release well for a pic. My buddy wanted a pic with the gators because it was the biggest trout he had ever caught and we caught them on the lights at night so we couldn't get a pic in the dark. It swam off like nothing happened. I don't even take legal trout home. Thanks for the concern though. Just a question though, why do you assume I'm taking them home? All the pics are of them and then they are released. Its not like there in a cooler waiting on ice.

BTW that girl with the redfish took that one home. It was a perfect 26 1/2 inch red. She brought it home. The smallest trout of those pics was 26 with the largest going 30 inches. Some big boys this summer.

Lol! Thanks for the kind words bro. Anyhoo, is the big trout season over? Can we still catch a mogan next time you are in town? I seem to be able to catch a jumbo version of every fish that swims..... except trout. I have never caught one as big as those in your pics and thats gotta change! I need you to teach me some trout skills! Hit me up, Im more apt to show you some big sheep holes since youre usually outta town and wont beat up my spots lol.

Captain Brian, maybe a little more tact next time? We may never see a big trout on this forum again! Nice apology though. Please show us your gators folks! (Im studying the backgrounds lol!)
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • reelhookerreelhooker Posts: 644 Officer
    Ha, you can always show me Tony. I like catching big fish too. Nice pictures of some awesome fish. I can't wait to get back on the water and catch some fish like these.
  • freshmeatfreshmeat Posts: 35 Deckhand
    I think its ridiculous that this guy took time out of his day to share some memories and all people want to do is talk **** about how he is doing everything wrong. "don't use a net", "don't touch fish with towels", "for the love of god, if you ever catch a nice trout, you better release it, or none of us will ever see another trout again"...some people on this forum can really be quick to point the finger as if they have never made a bonehead move of their own! The guy shows multiple pics holding reds, and the only comment he gets is for the one he let some girl hold, who obviously just didn't like touching fish. i guess next time he takes someone less experienced fishing and they catch their first fish he better not let them hold the fish unless they do it the "right" way. The constant criticism awarded on this forum is so predictable that it is easy to make a mochary of the very people who call themselves "experts". i recently posted a report titled "my first trip offshore, i could get used to this" and had 8 pages of people not only criticizing me but they actually got into a debate over rules and regulations of redsnapper. If any of the people were half as educated as they claimed to be they would have known right of the bat is was a joke and that pic of fish obviously was taken in the gulf were you could legally harvest redsnapper. Instead it was a contraversy that lasted a week. lol We got some real experts around here. They cant see their nose in front of their face but they can definately spot when someone shows bad etiquette. Some people around here need to lay off and when a guy trys to show off some quality fishing trips that he is proud of, let him hold his head up high. And don't try to act like you were doing him a favor by giving him advice on what you think is right, cuz all your doing stealing his glory and making yourself appear to be the model angler who has never harmed another living organism. As they say ever week on Monday night countdown
    C'MON MAN!!!
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,417 Admiral
    freshmeat hit it on the head....

We sure have alot of trout huggers on here.....those trout and all fish for that matter were put in these waters for one thing and one thing only...and that is to be eaten by people.

Not to grow old and grumpy and die and wither away, "for the sake of making more baby trout".....my goodness....if they are legal (and a trophy all the better)....eat those stupid things....By the time they got that big, they have already made more baby trout than they can shake a stick at anyway.

Filet and release...

Yall sound like the same people that have taken away the red snapper, the beeliners, and of all things the sea bass !! All so that they can hang around to make more baby fishys.....GMAB.

Trout have been caught as far as I can remember...even while the river was dotted with gill nets....and the nets have been gone a long time. I don't think that anyone can even fathom the amount of trout we have in the river system today....there is no way (with our limits today) that we can hook and line enough trout to hurt them. Even if we keep the big ones.

Steve
  • Seachaser220Seachaser220 Posts: 199 Deckhand
    That is why I never post hardly anything anymore. I used to post every trip. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Nothing better than criticize people instead of posting things to benefit others like this forum used to be about.
    I knew this thread was gonna get "juicy" as soon as I saw the trout.... carry on! Dont worry, Ryan has tough skin and could care less.

Post up your fish without fear and we will destroy the haters! LOL!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • OysterbottomboyOysterbottomboy Posts: 414 Officer
    Nice Job man keep posting those linds of pics!
  • freshmeatfreshmeat Posts: 35 Deckhand
    ya when i was raving about people's criticism i wasn't even thinking about what they actually were emplying. If you are worried about our current trout population, you obviously haven't been trout fishing lately. Last week i was waiting on the tide to get right so i could catch some reds and i was just easin' along the creek throwing a simple paddletail on an 1/8 oz jig, nothing special, and i caught more trout than i felt like counting. Granted they were all undersized, but at one point i got into a school and caught 28 in 28 consecutive cast. That is actually pretty normal this time of year. There are creeks around here that i have fished my whole life that NEVER let me down. If i'm having a bad day, i will go there and catch a trout just to get my dignity back. don't get me wrong, i don't keep anymore fish then i know i will eat that night, (cuz i'm spoiled and don't like frozen fish), but i'm not gonna hound someone who decided to kill a trout that is quality in size...
  • southerncastawaysoutherncastaway Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Real Nice Trout! This forum can be annoying at times, I stopped posting pics about two years ago after being harassed on pics of gag groupers on the fillet table(one had the meat already off the bones)... Somebody said that the fillet job wasn't good enough and it started from there..(I'm not one to throw a grouper skeleton in a crock pot to get the meat outta the bones, and yes I do keep the grouper cheeks)... Unfortunately there is gonna be a good bit of critiquing on this site when you post something if someone else doesn't like it. As for the red in the towel...if it's going in the cooler let the lady use the towel, mine does the same thing!:thumbsup
    -Bryan