189 engine ?s and then some...

124»

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,355 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Since you agree with the rest of my list and state its correct. You may start researching hearing aids. You could probably find a black one so you can color coordinate with your boat.

i-cant-hear-you.jpg
  • JBLocalJBLocal Posts: 154 Officer
    Phil, you crack me up with your over analized **** Sumptions....i have no idea about adjusting ur ecm, or lightening a fly wheel or any of the other far fetched bulll shi!! you spew. Your speed and my speed are very close...yet you are basiclly calling me a liar time and time again....funny you are with your **** Sumptions....and yes...your prop "KOOK" u later is not working correctly.

My boat typicly will run depending on many varying conditions any were from 59-62 on a regular basis. If you think that i would go to these far reaches of Bull SHi!! like you would to gain 2mph your are smokin some of that ECC crack.I spin my prop max ...5800-6000rpms...thats it. The rev limiter is 6150. When the Yami warrenty was done....they plugged up the puter and said i run the boat perfectly....never once have i over reved it nor ever went over 6000 rpms. you obviously have no clue whet it takes or what has to be doen or shown to YAMI in order to get a new power head under warrenty...you have to jump thru many hoops and show them the parts, computer printout etc...they even sent a factory rep to look at my motor. If i had. all your **** sumptions done to this motor my motor would have not been under warrenty...you might want to try to stop **** suming so many things you are not well versed enough to comment on. Merry christmas....I think that loud merc has rattled a few screws loose in ur noggin.
    That's why is't a public forum so i can state my opinion like you have done in the past also.
    Maybe the merc has rattled a few screws loose i like it though!
    No harm No foul!
    Merry Christmas to you and all!
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    My ProXS DID bring down the hot neighbor the other day when I was washing the boat. She said she heard my motor... Too bad she wouldn't have heard the yamis :smoking
    Underslot wrote: »
    My ProXS DID bring down the hot neighbor the other day when I was washing the boat. She said she heard my motor... Too bad she wouldn't have heard the yamis :smoking

Very Nice!
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    That's why is't a public forum so i can state my opinion like you have done in the past also.
    Maybe the merc has rattled a few screws loose i like it though!
    No harm No foul!
    Merry Christmas to you and all!

You handled that with allot of dignity. Props to you. Merry Christmas back at you and the rest of the forum members.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • brad safreedbrad safreed Posts: 562 Officer
    JBLocal wrote: »
    @ Brad.....bwahahahahhahaahhaahhahahahaha!!!!! Ya right!!! Go to Louisianna....you wont see nothing but Yamis....on the recreational boats and all the comercial guys 2. Go to central America......you wont see one stinky OPTIBOMB......all you will see is Suzukis and Yamis.

Now, to get this thread back on track I will address your statement like this: I don't give a ratz **** about Louisiana and South America and Commercial fisherman with their Japanese anchors. In the world of v6 2 stroke outboard engines, Mercury is king. The 135/150/175 Opti's in particuar are extremely reliable. Everyone has anectdotal evidence about "a friend" who's Merc blew up but I know of at least 3 Yamaha's that have blown powerheads in the 4 years that I have owned my 175 Proxs. I've had to replace a few coils and it's never left me stranded nor did the 135 opti I owned for 3 years before that.

Now if you want to argue about smaller engines then I will offer no resistance. If you want to argue about 4 strokes then go right ahead because putting a 4 stroke on a flats boat is **** and I can't argue with **** or people who choose an engine based on how much noise it does or doesn't make.(sorry old guys, just ribbing you a bit)
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 248 Deckhand
    It appears to me that most people who have 189's are cruising around 35 to 40mph - give or take a few mph's. For those of you that have 60mph boats (mine is between 48 and 51, and I cruise between 38 and 41), how often are you running above 40 to 44 mph, and if so, how often above 50?
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • brad safreedbrad safreed Posts: 562 Officer
    I usually run as fast as conditions allow me considering safety and comfort which is very often close to WOT.
    The motor gets opened up every trip WOT not the whole time but enough !

Thanks Brad for backing me up here!:crowd

Were on page 11 awesome!
    Now, to get this thread back on track I will address your statement like this: I don't give a ratz **** about Louisiana and South America and Commercial fisherman with their Japanese anchors. In the world of v6 2 stroke outboard engines, Mercury is king. The 135/150/175 Opti's in particuar are extremely reliable. Everyone has anectdotal evidence about "a friend" who's Merc blew up but I know of at least 3 Yamaha's that have blown powerheads in the 4 years that I have owned my 175 Proxs. I've had to replace a few coils and it's never left me stranded nor did the 135 opti I owned for 3 years before that.

Now if you want to argue about smaller engines then I will offer no resistance. If you want to argue about 4 strokes then go right ahead because putting a 4 stroke on a flats boat is **** and I can't argue with **** or people who choose an engine based on how much noise it does or doesn't make.(sorry old guys, just ribbing you a bit)

There are allot of Evinrude motors in LA area running commercial and rec use. I know because I delivered them after the oil spill.The captains could not get any Yamaha motors because they were sold out. Every captain that took an Evinrude was impressed and will buy another one.Allot of them running in Venice and Baton Rouge.Its true that allot of them do prefer Yamaha. The wise tail that the Merc is the best is a great opinion and I can respect it. They are really good motors.
    Frank has told me the Merc has the most issues he has seen out of all the motors right now.He went as far as to tell me they are problematic. Now all brands have their problems as mechanical items will break.I just don't think the best outboard should be synopsis with the fastest.There are allot of factors to consider. The power to weight ratio which is very close , noise sound pressure level , emissions (who wants to breathe polluted air), reliability, local service , factory support, and parts supply network. Looking at all these items you should be able to make an informed decision on your needs. Some of the items I mentions vary from town to town.

If you want to run around the water ways full speed and loud by all means do so. I am in no hurry and hate noise.
    Edit
    Frank didn't tell me they were problematic. It was someone else I know.
    You forget the most important criteria… made in America. Sorry but that weighs heavy on me given I deal with outsourcing every day and have had to let people go when their job was sent to India.

Glad my hard earned money is going to the peeps in WI. Long live loud, fast, problematic AMERICAN motors. Nothing like a little US heavy metal!
    Two major outboards are made in America that you would mount on the Egret. Evinrude and Mercury. They happen to be great motors. America is not the mfg super power it once was. If you based your buying decisions on made in america you would not buy either one of them either because allot of the components are sourced from over seas that they assemble them with.
    yeah, yeah, yeah... “parts made overseas”. I get it, but the fact of the matter is that some guy or girl in WI engineered my motor, developed it, tested it, put it together, put it in a box, and shipped it to Egret. In turn, I keep them in business and put food on their table. There are excuses and loopholes to origin of manufacturing but in the end I sleep better at night having a merc on my boat. I don’t have a single problem with Japanese motors and they are each good, even better than the merc in some ways but for inshore, for the Egret, I’m happy I could and did buy American and never look back.
    Well the last few times i was in Venice pulling crab pots and workin on the skrimp boats (2 weeks ago)......... i didnt see one Etec at Venice marina.I think most of the captains that were using "any" motor during the "over hyped" oil spill pretty much canned them after they were done working for BP....and now most if not all are running all new boats with variuos types of new motors on them.Bp pretty much paid all the captains (both inshore and offshore guides) some serious cash. Enough cash to were they are all sporting new Lake and Bay Bay boats ...and the offshore guys are sporting Yella Fin 36 with trips and new 30 something foot Invincibles.
    JBLocal wrote: »
    Well the last few times i was in Venice pulling crab pots and workin on the skrimp boats (2 weeks ago)......... i didnt see one Etec at Venice marina.I think most of the captains that were using "any" motor during the "over hyped" oil spill pretty much canned them after they were done working for BP....and now most if not all are running all new boats with variuos types of new motors on them.Bp pretty much paid all the captains (both inshore and offshore guides) some serious cash. Enough cash to were they are all sporting new Lake and Bay Bay boats ...and the offshore guys are sporting Yella Fin 36 with trips and new 30 something foot Invincibles.

There are still working boats for bp contractors with Evinrude motors running right now. Not all the captains are done working. There are still local guides doing environmental testing.I can name the captains running them if I need to. I spent a few weeks there giving demo rides to most of the top captains and sold allot of boats there and motors. The Plaquemines Parish sheriff departments new boats have Evinrudes on them. If ya spent enough time there you would have noticed the new Freeman Boat works cat boats, Twin Vee's , and Americat boats running around there. Its primarily a cat boat market with those guides in Venice. Very few offshore captains buy new V hulls. I did see an Invincible with the wraps on it. It is owned by Venice Marinas owner not a captain. Not all the guides to this day have been paid all the money promised by BP.
    Defintely alot of cats also.Your are correct. It used to be 90% cat boats.It seems like alot of the ones ive seen in the last 6 or 8 months were on trailers tho...Its defintelty evened out now..its more like 50/50.Ive seen many more Twin Vees than any brand.... At the same time some of those captains with the cats sold them and are now running the V hulled bad boyz.A good friend mine owns one of those 3 story condo type houses that are on your right as you leave the marina.Thats where i stay....so after probably 6 weeks staying at the marina..ive seen alot of the boats that fish out of there...plus the ones that come and go.Ive been to Venice skrimping 5 times since last spring. Ive also fished for crabs in a few tournys during those trips and pulled a few pots....I saw 2 Freemans while i was there, they are sweet boats.I also work for someone who is in and all over La doing enviro testing.He is not a captain.Thats what he does for a living.Most of the capains are back to what they do best....and thats fish. The fishing is better now than ever. The fall/early winter is the best time to be in La. Ill be back in a few weeks to get myself some more of it.

I still say Yami is the best most reliable motor on the market. Brad, the Yami 2.6 litre block is by far a more proven and reliable motor than any Merc ever built.;) Just giving you a hard time...they are all nice motors.
    my Merc let me down this week but I still luuuuuuuuv it!!!!! Must have got a "Friday" motor.
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    Any word on the yamy 175 SHO? :)
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach