Smoked Rib Roast

Four bone rib roast for supper last night. Injected with Don's Seasoning Delight and added some Hombre chili powder to the mixture. Rubbed with Cracked black pepper, kosher salt, Hungarian Paprika, and more Hombre. On the EGG in my trusty roasting pan it goes.

002-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

Kept the grate temp between 225 and 250°. Apple wood for smoke.

005.jpg

Removed and covered tightly with foil at 131° internal temp. It rose to 140°. Guess because I covered it with a towel. Usually only rises 5°. Oh yeah, had to throw a sausage link on for tomorrow's breakfast.

003-1.jpg

001-3.jpg

002-2.jpg

006.jpg

I let it rest until the internal temp rose to 140° and fell back to 135°. Very tender and juicy. Plated up with saute'd onions, banana peppers, and garlic and greenbeans.

007.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

:thumbsup:Rockon
The Forgotten Coast

PICT0143-1.jpg

Replies

• AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    Robert, nicely done. That is an awesome roast !!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer
    How was the flavor? I've thought about smoking a rib roast but never got up the courage to chance such a pricey piece of meat. You usually don't associate smoking with "good steak" cuts. I usually start a rib roast at 450F for about 20-30 min to help develop a good crust. I wonder if the crust would prevent smoke absorption. I could do the high temp thing at the end of the cooking process but I wouldn't be able to predict the final internal temp. Also, how big was your roast and how long did it take to cook?
  • rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    bullgator wrote: »
    How was the flavor? I've thought about smoking a rib roast but never got up the courage to chance such a pricey piece of meat. You usually don't associate smoking with "good steak" cuts. I usually start a rib roast at 450F for about 20-30 min to help develop a good crust. I wonder if the crust would prevent smoke absorption. I could do the high temp thing at the end of the cooking process but I wouldn't be able to predict the final internal temp. Also, how big was your roast and how long did it take to cook?

bullgator, the flavor was supreme. This was a 5.5LB roast. It took a few hours, but I don't go on time. I go by internal temp. 125° internal is rare and I like it more medium rare to medium so I take it a little higher. You have steak on your mind and I'm going for prime rib which is cooked at a low temp for a longer period of time. As far as cost $6.47 a pound. Not bad for this day and time.
    The Forgotten Coast

PICT0143-1.jpg
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,178 Admiral
    Too funny. Getting up this morning I mentioned doing our rib roast on the smoker, and she squirmed a bit. Maybe next go around. Looks great!

:beer
  • doghouse1122doghouse1122 Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    Robert that looks unbelievabley good. I'm saving this post and trying it next weekend. How much flavor did the injection add? Ever do that without injecting?
    doghouse, yes I have smoked a bone in ribeye roast without injecting. It had a natural beef flavor except for the end pieces that received most of the smoke, but I was sure to only take it to 125° internal. I smoked it at 195° grate temp om my Big Green Egg.
    The Forgotten Coast

PICT0143-1.jpg
  • BColleyBColley Posts: 419 Deckhand
    Nice looking roast. I see that you wrap your thermometer probe in foil. I think I just killed my second set. I believe I have the same remote thermometer (Maverick BGE edition). All I'm getting is HHH in both the smoker and meat probes. I can't believe I hadn't thought about wrapping in foil.
    JBC

Chaos Tarpon Bay
    Ocean Master 31
    BColley wrote: »
    Nice looking roast. I see that you wrap your thermometer probe in foil. I think I just killed my second set. I believe I have the same remote thermometer (Maverick BGE edition). All I'm getting is HHH in both the smoker and meat probes. I can't believe I hadn't thought about wrapping in foil.

I learned the hard way also.:banghead
    The Forgotten Coast

PICT0143-1.jpg
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,169 AG
    BColley wrote: »

I seem to see more go down due to submerging in water when washing. :shrug
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    wow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    I'm a rare cut for Prime Rib, but that just looks awesome none the less... nom nom nom!!!
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg