Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Snook spawning

Question,snook are very temp. specific when it comes
to when they spawn,how does our very warm water
affect that?

Replies

• tarponhuntertarponhunter Senior Member Posts: 498 Deckhand
    I'm not sure they're that temp specific from what I could find. It just needs to be above 72 F in the spring-summer months and spawning was observed. Now there is definitely an upper limit at which point they won't spawn. I couldn't find any studies and to be honest im not sure there are any that test the max spawning temp. The babies have been reared in up to 87 F water for their preferred range but I bet the adults would still spawn in those temps or maybe even a little more. My guess is that when it becomes so warm they stop eating thats also when spawning behavior would cease but I'm not sure exactly what that temp is.

It very well cold be that the waters here get too warm in certain areas for viable spawning and reproduction but its also possible the fish evolve to be more temp tolerant (we can hope). One thing is for sure, the warmer temps are leading to very viable and healthy populations further north now such as in New smyrna and maybe even st. Aug soon
  • 10kman10kman Senior Member Posts: 948 Officer
    Tarpon hunter,thanks for your answers.I always thought
    snook would only spawn in a narrow range of 72.
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Senior Member Posts: 498 Deckhand
    10kman said:
    Tarpon hunter,thanks for your answers.I always thought
    snook would only spawn in a narrow range of 72.
    Its possible they still might require a more specific temp or maybe even a temps change to induce the final stages of egg development and spawning I just couldn't find any study that discussed that in my quick search. I know there are some studies that probably looked at the aquaculture potential of snook and how to spawn them so that would probably have info on that but I would also add that the conditions required to get them to spawn in captivity probably have to be a little more optimal than in nature because of stress.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,773 Captain
    Last night - ninety miles east of the 10K area... water temps at 8pm in Biscayne Bay?  88 degrees surface temps -everywhere we went... By 1Am this morning... Water temps at the surface (where my water temperature gauge operates)  were still high - only one degree cooler than when the sun went down.  If I were to guess all the big spawning snook are either still out on your inshore wrecks or in the deeper river mouths where the water is probably quite a bit cooler than the shallows... Over here on the Atlantic side our ocean cuts serve the same purpose as the 10K river mouths, with nice deep waters and really good current flow... 

That might also be why in the afternoons now fishing picks up dramatically after a sudden thunderstorm cools off those water temps a bit - for a while... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • MollyBrownMollyBrown Junior Member Posts: 7 Deckhand
    Moon phase is part of the spawning trigger.  Starting in mid-June I see large females being followed by groups of smaller males off my dock.  By August, its over.