Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

South zone success!

bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 2,158 Captain
I hunted the river of grass for the opener. First hunt was Sunday morning, had 2 does walk in from behind my stand and come within 20 yards. Was hoping a buck was following, but no luck…hunted with a friend Monday morning, and put him in the spot I hunted Sunday ,and I hunted another area I scouted . I’ve seen this buck in the same spot twice so I went in there and setup in his general area where a couple trails came together. Wind was strong from the east, so I had to setup facing the sun somewhat. At around 7am he came walking down a the trail I had the longest view on straight east of me. With the wind in my favor and a decent bush between us , he had no idea I was in his area. At 20 yards I gave him a mouth bleat to stop him and let the bolt go on him… found him about 60 yards from where I shot him.

Replies

• joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 1,846 Captain
    How were the tenderloins?
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 2,158 Captain
    We grilled both tenderloins, and one backstrap last night…. Excellent!👌
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,892 AG
    Good deal
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,368 Captain
    Great report! Meat has been made.
    I grew up in the Glades it has always amazed how well the deer do out there. 

If the water was kept low the population would explode just like back in the 60s and 70s.

Well done any buck out there IMO is a trophy
    I always enjoyed hearing some of your stories about this area over the years… We went in off the old low road side. I’m old enough to know about that.😜
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 1,382 Officer
    Congrats, good buck, great story.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,437 Admiral
    Congrats bowhuntr! 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,368 Captain
    Wonderful!
    Thank you for sharing.
    I am old enough to Know Rotenberger back when the place was supposed to go to Sugar Cane.
    Before the Power Lines...... broad unbroken land and sky scape along what would become the power lines.
    Thank you Florida Wildlife Federation. 
    Johnny and Marianna Jones, Everglades Half Track and Airboat, Conservation and Recreation Lands program.So
    many other Hunter/ Conservationist and supporters.
    amazing.....far south USA deer hunting this time of year.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,183 Officer
    Very well done!
    Thanks guys!… not sure what it is about glades deer, but they are good eating!..👌
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,368 Captain
    Cooking just right. You know how to get them and how to cook them. Awesome.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 3,149 Captain
    Thanks guys!… not sure what it is about glades deer, but they are good eating!..👌
    South Florida deer taste better than deer anywhere in the east. I can’t imagine elk tasting better. 
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 857 Officer
    Heck yeah! Way to go bowhunter. Great way to start a season.
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,655 Captain
    FloridaOD said:
    Wonderful!
    Thank you for sharing.
    I am old enough to Know Rotenberger back when the place was supposed to go to Sugar Cane.
    Before the Power Lines...... broad unbroken land and sky scape along what would become the power lines.
    Thank you Florida Wildlife Federation. 
    Johnny and Marianna Jones, Everglades Half Track and Airboat, Conservation and Recreation Lands program.So
    many other Hunter/ Conservationist and supporters.
    amazing.....far south USA deer hunting this time of year.
    OD I worked on the Surveying crew that shot the lines for the power lines both Holey Lands and Browns Farm road. The company had to hire some of us boys from Belle Glade because their crew from West Palm were scared of the moccasins. We would cut the lines with long machetes and would literally kill hundreds of moccasins every day.

I dont think the young ones would believe it if we told them how many deer we would see in a day along the Miami canal. the road that went back to Sugarland Ranch south of Rotenberg my God deer were everywhere. Browns farm road in the Big B ranches cow pastures deer were thick. 
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
    Browns farm had a incredible amount of deer for a 3000 to 4000 acre wma. Much was due to surrounding ag land but when you're killing 100 bucks on a 3k acre parcel every year,... well, that's saying something. 
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,255 Captain
    I guess I wasn't the only one to cut his teeth hunting Browns farm and especially the Miami  canal. Great memories but I am happy I am not down there sloshing in the mud!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 857 Officer
    Killed my first archery buck at Browns Farm when I was in my twenties. At 65 I still go to Big Cypress to play. In my blood but I hope this will be my last year. Wife is now retired and we are actively looking in Ga.
    I have largely given up on the glades deer hunting. I no longer have the desire to slog through the water like I'm 18. I may do it again for the sake of showing my 13 year old how good he has it not being stuck on public Swamp land in FL. 

There's still the nostalgia of the area down here but it's not even remotely the same. Any chance I get to hunt out of state will immediately trigger a permit return. Believe me, I'm grateful and thankful I have the means to hunt a few states north of the border. The problem there though is those opportunities are drying up too. 
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 691 Officer
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,912 Captain
    Congrats!
    Way to get the season started!
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,774 AG
    Great summertime Buck!  Congratulations.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 11,019 AG
    I hunted all that land for many years and saw one Scrape..guess they don't make them in knee high water...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    me either TRT… it’s much drier than it has been this year also… on the south side anyway.

Great work. I’ve done them and the skulls don’t get that white because I worry about the antlers. Can you post directions?  I have one to do myself. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,924 Captain
    H20dad said:

Great work. I’ve done them and the skulls don’t get that white because I worry about the antlers. Can you post directions?  I have one to do myself. 
    ^Humble brag ^

😆 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    H20dad said:

^Humble brag ^

😆 
    I can’t post anything without being accused of bragging. 

But I’m serious about the help bleaching the skull to that level without hurting the color
    of the antlers. 
    I think it helps to skin them out asap ,fresh ,and remove as much as possible before putting them in the boil pot. I put a good amount of dawn and a half scoop of oxi clean in the boil. It’s more of a simmer than a boil, too hot and you can ruin your skull. I use a metal hanger wire to keep the antlers from submerging in the pot. You can add more oxi clean as you go, little by little so it doesn’t bubble over on you… you can always buy some hair whitening gel from the beauty salon store or Walmart if you want it whiter.…… No more questions Bobby!.. just google it next time!😜
    edited August 13 #31
    I see the one antler is partially in the bath. That doesn’t affect it?

and I have googled it a lot. I’ve done pig skulls and the teeth bleach and alligator skulls. But I’m scared of ruining the antlers, kind of the point of a euro mount on a deer. 

My skulls have been yellowish.