Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

What Pfd

Hunter85Hunter85 Posts: 110 Deckhand
I Am new to kayak fishing, and wondering what is the the preferred style life vest used? I have an automatic inflatable that I used when I fished bass tournaments. 

Replies

• Hunter85Hunter85 Posts: 110 Deckhand
    I should add that I will be using the kayak to fish in the flats, cruise the springs, and duck hunt with if that makes any difference.
  • krashkrash Posts: 831 Officer
    edited August 6 #3
    If I had an around the neck/chest inflatable I'd wear that.. for my SUP I use an around the waist inflatanble, but have the auto inflate disabled.
    For the kayak and canoe I have the inexpensive vest, I don't wear it but keep it quickly accesible as 99% of the time I'm on the shallow flats.

Its a personal choice. MAny people like the shorter vest stype with pockets for stuff.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 4,087 Captain
    For the nearshore ocean, I fish with manual self-inflatables, and during the winter when it's a little cooler, I like the bahia model by Kokatat for all the extra pockets.  Your auto inflatable should be a good choice for inshore.  I don't use auto inflatable for offshore because there are too many situations (such as surf transit) where they would accidentally get inflated.
  • DrKDrK Posts: 261 Deckhand
    I have both kinds.  I haven't gotten in any situation that I needed to deploy my PFD.  I use the inflatable more often as I mainly fish the mudflats here in Jacksonville.  The thing I foresee is once I inflate it and that thing is bulging over the chest area, I don't expect I will be able to get back up on the kayak.  I will need to drag the yak to the side and get on it from shallow water. Being mainly in mudflats that itself might be an issue.  

When I fish the bridge pilings I prefer the non-inflatable in the hope I will be able to get back up while in deep water
    The one time I flipped out deep, It was nice to have the inflatable on, cause it was easy to swim with uninflated.  Had I had a regular lifejacket on, mobility would have been impeded.
  • krashkrash Posts: 831 Officer
    The one time I flipped out deep, It was nice to have the inflatable on, cause it was easy to swim with uninflated.  Had I had a regular lifejacket on, mobility would have been impeded.
    Thats a very real point... if you go over-board many times the ksysk does not flip, they are like a bull and very good at tossing you and remaining upright... 

It's very likely the kayak will float, due to wind/current, away from you faster than you can swim...
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Hunter85Hunter85 Posts: 110 Deckhand
    edited August 12 #8
    my my biggest worry of that the auto, is it going off when it should not. 
    Hunter85 said:
    my my biggest worry of that the auto, is it going off when it should not. 
    That is the reason I don't use one.  Others argue that if a boat hits and you get knocked unconscious, who will inflate your lifejacket?  For me, the risk of it accidentally inflating and impeding my safety is greater.
  • DrKDrK Posts: 261 Deckhand
    JM I think you have convinced me that the inflatable would be better if you flip and then try to get back on board.  Aside from making t easier to swim uninflated, if you are floating on the side of the kayak you can just deflate the vest and climb on board.  Might be easier than the on-inflatable.

Hunter, if you are concerned with auto inflating you can just remove the dissolvable pill on the trigger and set it on manual.  Most auto-inflates use that system