Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Black Belly Whistlers

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,799 Captain
Went kayaking with the gf the other day.  Place I haven't been in years.  It was covered up in BB's.  Easily saw a hundred.  Saw about forty along the shore at one point. 
Am I correct in wondering if this is a large resident population AND that they might be around come season?  I know I can't be the only one aware of them.  Popular place.  I'm going to check it out regardless but wondering if anyone can offer insight as to what I might expect.
There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,824 AG
    I don't even have to go in the woods. There's always about 20+ near the retention pond next to my local Publix. Can't shoot them because it is also next to the police station. Maybe some bread with a treble hook? As long as they are faster to the bait than the Muscovies.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• red owlred owl Posts: 712 Officer
    Is that legal during duck season. I think they are really nice looking ducks- how do they taste?
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    One of the best eating ducks around. Save and eat the legs on these too,  btw.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,393 Captain
    The population is growing like gangbusters. As mentioned in others posts, it would be grand to have a crack at them in the early teal. 
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 2,170 Captain
    swampdog said:
    The population is growing like gangbusters. As mentioned in others posts, it would be grand to have a crack at them in the early teal. 
    They are showing up in residential area’s around south Florida in numbers ….My cousin in Maryland say’s they are moving into his state now also. I would imagine an early season is coming for them soon.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 3,186 Captain

swampdog said:
    They are showing up in residential area’s around south Florida in numbers ….My cousin in Maryland say’s they are moving into his state now also. I would imagine an early season is coming for them soon.

Nope, the feds won’t allow it.  Guys in the Mississippi flyway, Louisiana are trying hard to get it. 

Reason?
    I don’t recall that they have published one reason. 

I know they have to do a ton of research to justify it. And I’ve read they don’t like multi species special seasons. They hate the wood ducks with teal season and have stopped any expansion to other states than the three that currently have it. It’s why Florida gets punished with a shorter teal season than states that don’t harvest wood ducks. 

They are also basically on the southern edge of three flyways. There are a pile of politics involved with that as well. 
    red owl said:
    Is that legal during duck season. 
    No, I was sarcastic. 

― Ernest Hemingway

H20dad said:
    Reason?

I know they have to do a ton of research to justify it. And I’ve read they don’t like multi species special seasons. They hate the wood ducks with teal season and have stopped any expansion to other states than the three that currently have it. It’s why Florida gets punished with a shorter teal season than states that don’t harvest wood ducks. 

They are also basically on the southern edge of three flyways. There are a pile of politics involved with that as well. 
    Ignoring the science once again!..🙈
    red owl said:
    Is that legal during duck season. 
    No, I was sarcastic. 
    A loaf of wonder bread and a castnet will work. If bso asks, just say you are relocating them…👌😜
    H20dad said:
    Reason?

The science would say the main breeding period for bbwd in Florida is during teal season.  But political science ignores those things. 
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,697 Captain
    H20dad said:
    H20dad said:
    Reason?

The science would say the main breeding period for bbwd in Florida is during teal season.  But political science ignores those things. 
    I've got probably a dozen little ones in retention pond across road right now. I'd say they are few weeks old. Getting around good now even without the momma around. 
    I was watching courtship flights today. If we get some rain I’ll start seeing them on the flag ponds. They aren’t finding as many areas to nest this year
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 703 Officer
    They are all over Hendry County.....
    This pond is mowed flat all way to the watersedge theres no place for a nest anywhere and I've seen the adults leave but can't find the babies anywhere. Strange
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,252 Captain
    BBs breed more than once a year.....they will nest on the ground if no trees are around....they are growing in number and have become a major target for hunters.  Great eating.  Do not waste the legs....they are taking the heat off other species and are a great addition to any strap...
    edited July 18 #19
    N. Cook said:
    BBs breed more than once a year.....they will nest on the ground if no trees are around....they are growing in number and have become a major target for hunters.  Great eating.  Do not waste the legs....they are taking the heat off other species and are a great addition to any strap...
    Where is the study confirming bbwd nest more than once a year?

The reason I ask is that they act more family oriented than ducks.  They act more like geese and swans which have similar behavior to bbwd as related to family closeness, geese and swans never have two nests in a year. 
    N. Cook said:

They are cool birds.... But I do not think they are very smart....
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,252 Captain
    edited July 18 #21
    I am not sure if the same bird breeds more than once, (or nests more than once) may or may not....but, they do not have a "short one time breeding season".....you can see young much of the year....
    N. Cook said:
    I am not sure if the same bird breeds more than once, (or nests more than once) may or may not....but, they do not have a "short one time breeding season".....you can see young much of the year....
    But the majority of breeding is once the water is up.  No water, where do the young go?  As an example there is gonna be a ton of nesting in September and October here this year because we are dry….

One year on Sta 5 there was a block of 4-500 unfledged birds the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Some were still grey fuzzies. Interestingly their parents molt at that time (when the young are fuzzy) as I caught one thinking it was a cripple. No flight feathers on otherwise perfect adult. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,528 Captain
    Blackbellies are as dumb as rocks and are related to Geese
  • Duck_Slam123Duck_Slam123 South Florida Posts: 62 Deckhand
    I agree I see a ton flying around. It’s almost like I can’t escape them if scouting, or fishing, and even driving to work in the morning I’ll see them fly over. I hope to shoot one this year, I know my buddy finished his limit with a BBW during late season last year and it was his first limit ever.
    I agree I see a ton flying around. It’s almost like I can’t escape them if scouting, or fishing, and even driving to work in the morning I’ll see them fly over. I hope to shoot one this year, I know my buddy finished his limit with a BBW during late season last year and it was his first limit ever.

Shoot one?

Just drive around and they will run into your truck....
    Pinman said:
    Blackbellies are as dumb as rocks and are related to Geese
    It’s actually most closely to swans if you look at the mitochondrial genome. 
    I think jonsred musta been put in timeout its been crickets from him lately. Either that or he got his new boat and said __ck florida sportsman!!
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,926 Captain
    edited July 19 #28
    Nah, nothing to say here. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    These guys are also showing in numbers near me in urban areas. Egyptian Goose. Anybody ever eaten one?

?

― Ernest Hemingway

https://youtube.com/shorts/kJU9jZQ0I_U?feature=share

These found some water. Saw more pairs flying than singles still as of yesterday.