Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

TM goodwin current water level?

ChillyChilly Posts: 590 Officer
Any one been out on Goodwin recently?  i have a first week gator tag and am curious what the water/hydrilla situation is.  Can an outboard boat get from the ramp through the channel to main 'lake'?  i spoke with the Jon down there and he indicated very little open water. i was hoping to get input from someone who might have fished it recently.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

Replies

• MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 857 Officer
    You don't believe the Biologist who works there everyday? Jon is a straight up good guy. If he says little open water thats what it is.
  • ChillyChilly Posts: 590 Officer
    My questions has nothing to do with belief or trust.  I think there is a big difference in looking at water level from a truck on the levee vs being in a boat in the water running a motor. 

I do believe this will be my last time contributing to this forum. its just not worth dealing with those that twist everything up into something its not.  

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

• josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 1,125 Officer
    edited July 21 #4
    I don't think Mike was trying to twist anything. I think in a round about way he was saying you should trust the Biologist. I've met Jon myself as well. Stand up guy from my interactions with him.

Here is the USGS water level data for Blue Cypress Creek, which is nearby. That may or may not help though since it flows into the lake before going north to Fellsmere and TMG.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-location/02231396/#parameterCode=00065&period=P7D
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 857 Officer
    Chilly said:
    My questions has nothing to do with belief or trust.  I think there is a big difference in looking at water level from a truck on the levee vs being in a boat in the water running a motor. 

I do believe this will be my last time contributing to this forum. its just not worth dealing with those that twist everything up into something its not.  
    Why don't you just go look for yourself! There, nothing twisted about that. Bye
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,516 Captain
    I think I remember when you could only fish Goodwin Lake so I looked up the current regs for access to fish.....GOOD LORD look at all this!  

"Public Access, Vehicles and Vessels: 1. On days closed to hunting (except for falconry hunting days) public recreational access is allowed year­round (excluding state holidays) from 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset and only by foot, horse, bicycle, or boat (40 hp or less), except horses are prohibited on L­75 and L­74 North Levees. Vehicles are also allowed, but only during the dates and times specified here:   Broadmoor Marsh Unit: On Thursdays (excluding state holidays) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on  L­1, L­3, L­5, L­6, L­8, L­11, L­15 and L74 North, except L­74 North can only be used as far north as L­6. T.M. Goodwin Unit: On Sundays and Thursdays (excluding state holidays) from 9 a.m. to 4p.m. on L­75, L­104, and L­14, but on Sundays, vehicles are prohibited past the point on L­75 that is directly north of 16W (see map). 2. On hunt days (not including falconry hunting days): Public access is limited only to persons participating in the hunts, vehicles are restricted to the following levees as described and only allowed on permitted hunt dates. Broadmoor Marsh Unit: Vehicles are allowed, but only from 4 a.m. to 1 p.m. and only on L­1, L­3, L­5, L­6, L­8, L­11, L­15 and L­74 North, except L­74 North can only be used a far north as L­6. T.M. Goodwin Unit: Vehicles are only allowed from 4 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the day of the hunt. Persons hunting the Goodwin reservoir are allowed vehicle access on L­75 to the Goodwin reservoir boat ramp. Persons hunting Impoundments 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 & 8 are allowed vehicles access on L­75 up to L­104 and west on L­104 to parking areas P1 or P2. Persons hunting Impoundments 3, 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10 may park at area P4 and will be limited to one vehicle per permit holder and guests and will be by parking permit only. One vehicle per hunting party is permitted to travel on L­14 and L­12 (trailers are prohibited), but only to drop off equipment and pick up their hunting party at the SE corner of the impoundment they are hunting. Persons hunting Goodwin Lake are allowed vehicle access on L­75 up to L­104 and west on L­104 to the Goodwin Lake boat ramp. Persons hunting the PWD Blind are allowed vehicle access on L­75 up to L­104 and west on L104 up to the PWD Blind. Persons hunting Broadmoor Marsh are allowed vehicle access on L­75. All other vehicles must remain parked in parking areas P1, P2 or P3 during the hunt. Motorized vessels are not permitted to launch in the lower Goodwin impoundments. Outside of these times, vehicle use on T.M. Goodwin Unit is prohibited, except as allowed to facilitate alligator hunting." 

Its no wonder we are losing numbers of hunters, fisherman, and outdoorsman if this is what you have to contend with.