Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Tampa SUP Fishing- 7/10

mcquadeoutdoorsmcquadeoutdoors St PetePosts: 50 Deckhand
Launched in the morning as it was supposed to be b4 the storm arrived. Wrong, got rained on for about an hour, not too bad, wind was tolerable, no lightning and the tarpon were rolling. Hot 2 tarpon to roll on the wham fish in ~1 hour before i called it and went an worked the short line. Tide was falling, loads of micro bait around with nothing chasing them. Landed 1 red on a 5" shrimp rigged weedless and that was all she wrote. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLW_1eZIAk
Youtube: McQuade Outdoors

Replies

• krashkrash Senior Member Cooper City , floridaPosts: 846 Officer
    I used to just rough it when it rained, when it's barely raining and its a hot hot day its a welcoming colling, but when its dumping with a little wind its a chilling surprise.
    I carry a in-expensive, drisly word like, simple clear plastic poncho.. use once when needed toss, in the proper trash of course, when done.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • mcquadeoutdoorsmcquadeoutdoors St PetePosts: 50 Deckhand
    krash said:
    I used to just rough it when it rained, when it's barely raining and its a hot hot day its a welcoming colling, but when its dumping with a little wind its a chilling surprise.
    I carry a in-expensive, drisly word like, simple clear plastic poncho.. use once when needed toss, in the proper trash of course, when done.
    The really rainy sections weren't filmed as the gopro had water drops covering the lens. I have a light patagonia rain jacket i keep on the board for those times and just suck it up till its done (normally 15 minutes or so).
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Captain
    I have a Frog Toggs poncho I carry in my kayak.  It'll cover me from my knees up and is easy to put on for an old man.
    ya i like to keep the smallest jacket possible due to limited space on the paddleboard. 
  • krashkrash Senior Member Cooper City , floridaPosts: 846 Officer
    Smallest I can find, they are like a could bucks throw away folds up in a small plastic pouch or box, one of those that once you take it out you'd never get it back in.
    I'm pretty much a minimalist when paddle fishing and take as little as possible, kind of take pride in being able to unload the car and be paddling in 10 or 15 minutes.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Senior Member Fort LauderdalePosts: 4,139 Captain
    When it rains, I just keep my hat on.  As long as I am not getting pelted in the face the cool rain feels good on my sun protection clothing.  I think you need to tilt the camera up a little on your chest video, would be more interesting to see where you cast instead of just looking at your reel.  Liked and subscribed to help you hit the 1000 mark so that you can maybe make some money.  Good luck.
    Went out yesterday and raised the gopro up on the chest, tried a head mount but i end up looking around too much and not at my bait.