Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

Marathon Canals in December (tourist from Alaska)

alaskamackalaskamack Anchorage, AKPosts: 2 Greenhorn
Hello,

I'll be staying in Marathon off of 109th Street Gulf at a condo with access to a canal and am wondering if I'll be able to catch any fish worth eating. I'm from Alaska and am familiar with salmon and halibut fishing but this will be a whole new world. Honestly I'd have a good time catching just about anything since it will be such a big change of pace. I'll be there end of December/first week of January if that makes a difference. 

I'd really appreciate any pointers on what kind of tackle I should bring and any fishing techniques. I'm used to casting spinners, floating/drifting salmon eggs, and jigging. 

Thanks!

Replies

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,505 Captain
    edited July 6 #2
    I would suggest reading this forum regularly and paying attention.  In between all the political b.s., some of these guys are really knowledgeable and talk about their catches and techniques from time to time.  Your questions come up, too.  You do need a very good b.s. meter - it gets tiresome.
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,505 Captain
    Speaking of....in just the past week, there have been a couple of very informative posts with good, detailed info.  Can't remember the thread names offhand, but maybe someone will chime in.
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,426 Officer
    If there's current and structure there will be mangrove snapper, best fished at night and chumming can't hurt. 
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 829 Officer
    Yes mangrove snapper would be the main good-eating fish expected.

Make sure you get your Florida fishing license and brush up on your fish identification. Of the many colorful species of shallow water fish, most are tasty and some are regulated (snappers), and some are not (grunts)

Spinning rod with 8lb line, shrimp for bait, and #1 circle hooks is a good place to start. 
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,116 Officer
    Fishing the Keys bridges can be a great way to see a bunch of new fish, though they're deceptively hard to fish sometimes. Check out Chadgonefishing on youtube for some good instructional videos.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 258 Deckhand
    edited July 8 #7

Make sure you get your Florida fishing license and brush up on your fish identification. Of the many colorful species of shallow water fish, most are tasty and some are regulated (snappers), and some are not (grunts)

Spinning rod with 8lb line, shrimp for bait, and #1 circle hooks is a good place to start. 
    x2

Also check out the Marathon Lady if you want to fish from a boat.
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,426 Officer
    K-Dawg said:

x2

Also check out the Marathon Lady if you want to fish from a boat.

Agree, they run a good headboat.
  • alaskamackalaskamack Anchorage, AKPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks everyone, looking forward to my trip.