Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Annual Vacation

FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 Daytona BeachPosts: 1,462 Officer
Im heading down for my annual vacation down south to the stump pass area. Gonna be there after July 4th. Hows the fishing and water looking? Last year we did really well on the snook but couldnt get into the tarpon. 
If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 

Replies

• bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,116 Officer
    a bit north of you, but tarpon are everywhere on the beaches and in passes (depending on tide). Probably less in the pass when you're going to be down, but still some on the beach. Snook are pretty thick on any beach or pass structure right now, only gonna get thicker as the summer goes on. Right now we're in the middle of an unseasonably good pompano bite as well, but chances are that'll die down before your arrival.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 Daytona BeachPosts: 1,462 Officer
    bigfinn35 said:
    a bit north of you, but tarpon are everywhere on the beaches and in passes (depending on tide). Probably less in the pass when you're going to be down, but still some on the beach. Snook are pretty thick on any beach or pass structure right now, only gonna get thicker as the summer goes on. Right now we're in the middle of an unseasonably good pompano bite as well, but chances are that'll die down before your arrival.
    Thanks for the info man. Are the fish having a case of lock jaw or are they eating pretty well?
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,116 Officer
    bigfinn35 said:
    Thanks for the info man. Are the fish having a case of lock jaw or are they eating pretty well?
    Snook can be pretty spooky when the sun is high and water is clear, but use a stealthy approach or fish when there's less visibility and they're pretty willing to eat. Tarpon are very hit or miss, but I'm also far less experienced with them than some other people around here. Only advice I'd have is to try and fish around passes when the tide is moving. Incoming or outgoing both work, but you want that tidal flow. 
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 19,414 AG
    edited June 9 #5
    Others have given you solid advice for what to expect, but if you send me a PM when you get a little closer and I'll give you a more up-to-date report for that area, Matt....Mike
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 Daytona BeachPosts: 1,462 Officer
    Others have given you solid advice for what to expect, but if you send me a PM when you get a little closer and I'll give you a more up-to-date report for that area, Matt....Mike
    Thanks man, will do.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,982 AG
    I'll be at Westons 6/26-7/3
    I'll let you know how it is when i get there.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,982 AG
    water is very nice but hot
    only saw one pod of tarpon headed south
    a couple of small snook at stump pass
    lots of snook around the docks at westons but they had lockjaw
    a few whiting off the beach
    all in all not a good fishing trip
    threw everything in my tackle box in the mornings and didn't catch anything on the beach.except the whiting which were caught by the wife soaking squid

hope you have better luck

THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 19,414 AG
    edited July 3 #9
    Tarpon mostly on the inside now.  ;)
  • jkilday4jkilday4 Greeneville, TNPosts: 45 Deckhand
    Saw some really nice snook cruising the beach around north tip of lighthouse on Sanibel last week, probably saw 60, about 40 were huddled around a walkway pier..and of course I didn't have the fly gear with me!  Saw a few more snook (and they saw me too unfortunatly) and a couple of big reds around Bowditch Park on Friday.  Lots of ballyhoo were there.