Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

If you can’t stand on one leg for 10 seconds,

GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 15,150 AG
you’re twice as likely to die within 10 years!

https://www.studyfinds.org/cant-stand-one-leg-early-death/

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  

Replies

• SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 4,525 Captain
    If I can stand on one leg, pat my head, and rub my stomach, I’m good
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 40,873 AG
    I should have died 30 years ago. Bad knees and vertigo make it impossible for me to stand on one leg for long. I might make 11 seconds. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,900 AG
    What if you only have one leg?
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 21,735 Moderator
    I can still stand on one leg and lift the toilet seat with the other.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• supratentorialsupratentorial FLPosts: 2,421 Captain
    edited June 23 #6
    There are a few other physical tests that predict mortality.  Of course the older and less fit you are, the higher your risk.

The sit and rise test predicts that people who can sit on the floor and get back up with the little to no support will live longer than someone who uses more support.

The push up test predicts that people who can do 50 push ups will live longer than someone who can only do 5.

Do we really need a test to tell us that younger, more fit people will live longer?
  • GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 15,150 AG
    edited June 23 #7
    We need a test to measure our fitness so that we can work on what we need to. 

Some folk think they have a good sense of balance ... until I ask them to stand on a wobble cushion. 

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • supratentorialsupratentorial FLPosts: 2,421 Captain
    My wife used a wobble cushion to strengthen her knee/leg after reconstruction surgery (ACL, MPFL tears while skiing in Utah).
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 7,218 Admiral
    I went to the doctor yesterday for my lack of balance that has been getting worse over the last few months. I have trouble on two legs, standing on one is impossible.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 21,876 AG
    Gardawg said:
    you’re twice as likely to die within 10 years!

https://www.studyfinds.org/cant-stand-one-leg-early-death/

Working out with free weights is really good for the balance that you mention above.

There are a couple of these kind of "tests" that go around.

Another one is, sit on the ground and if you cant get up without using your hands, you will die in 10 years.

Another one is, if you have creases in your earlobes, you potentially have heart disease.

edited June 24 #12
    I can get up off the floor without using my hands or arms in any way.   Takes about three seconds.  

Minimal core strength and technique is all it takes. 

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 21,876 AG
    Gardawg said:
    I can get up off the floor without using my hands or arms in any way.   Takes about three seconds.  

I think it is an indicator of just that (core strength) which might be an overall indicator of health.  Just repeating what I heard, it is similar in nature to the balance thing.

I put my socks on while standing... thats my indicator.   :)
    You  need good balance to put on socks while standing. 

That's an accurate indicator. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,860 AG
    I fell in the yard last night, pulled something in the back of my thigh and lost my glasses..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 40,873 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I fell in the yard last night, pulled something in the back of my thigh and lost my glasses..
    You dead. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,900 AG
    I haven't been able to do this stuff for 20 years and I'm still standing
    Just not on one leg :D .

THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 3,153 Captain
    I would give it a try but I don't like surprises.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,330 Admiral
    There's no reason for me to stand on one leg.... unless it's for a field sobriety test.  :)

I ruptured my Achilles tendon a long time ago.  Had the surgery where they chased one end up my calf muscle, grabbed it, stretched it back down,  and sewed it back to the heel end. I don't have great balance on that leg anymore. Took a few attempts to pass the physical so i could return to work. 

I'm already older than I thought I would make. Probably on number 7 or 8, out of my 9 lives. It's all gravy from here. 
  • GotEmOnGotEmOn Crystal RiverPosts: 264 Deckhand
    Gardawg said:

I do 450 ab excercises (crunches, sit ups, etc) every day except Sunday. 

I just got on the floor and I could not get up without using my elbows. I must have poor technique because I have plenty of core strength.

I guess I will be dead soon?
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,982 Captain
    I do the “standing putting my socks on” most mornings when I wear shoes, it definitely helps with balance but your timing has to be good when you start losing your balance, holding on that sock too long and you’ll fall on your face. 
    edited June 26 #23
    Get up off the ground and stand without using hands technique .. 

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 7,577 Admiral
    You could die tomorrow whether you can balance or not.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 21,735 Moderator
    That's true but I'd rather be placed in the coffin, not stumble and fall into it. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

edited June 26 #26
    You could die tomorrow whether you can balance or not.
    You can die right now. That has nothing to do with balance as a predictor. 

Deaths from Older Adult Falls

Falls are the leading cause of injury-related death among adults age 65 and older, and the age-adjusted fall death rate is increasing.1,2 The age-adjusted fall death rate is 64 deaths per 100,000 older adults.1

Fall death rates among adults age 65 and older increased about 30% from 2009 to 2018. The increase was observed in 30 states and the District of Columbia. The fastest growing rate was among adults aged 85 and older (about 4% per year).1

The rising number of deaths from falls among older adults can be addressed by screening for fall risk and intervening to address risk factors such as use of medicines that may increase fall risk, or poor strength and balance.

https://www.cdc.gov/falls/data/fall-deaths.html#:~:text=Falls%20are%20the%20leading%20cause,fall%20death%20rate%20is%20increasing.&text=1%2C2-,The%20age%2Dadjusted%20fall%20death%20rate%20is,deaths%20per%20100%2C000%20older%20adults.&text=Fall%20death%20rates%20among%20adults,30%25%20from%202009%20to%202018. .

Govern your actions accordingly. 

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 7,218 Admiral
    A lifelong friend of mine in my wife's cousin both died blunt force trauma falling in the shower last year. Both healthy early 60s. Not sure if alcohol was related or not.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 19,236 AG
    My aunt is in the hospital right now because of a brain injury suffered in a fall, and the prognosis is not good.

Be careful, folks.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,892 Captain
    edited June 26 #29
    My dad had terminal cancer, but being super weak from chemo he fell and hit his head on the tile floor and it was lights out. A blessing though as he was just suffering and not living. Was 10 years ago this month.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,413 AG
    edited June 26 #30
    In the old days most homes had carpet. Now days tile or hardwood is the norm. I wonder if that has anything to do with the statistics. The hard floors are slicker and harder if you hit your head.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,677 Admiral
    That makes sense conchy.

I feel down the porch steps about 2 weeks ago.  No serious injury just hurt like the devil for a few days.