Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Paddle Boarding at Night

Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 29,154 AG
This looks like fun. The boards are outfitted with waterproof LED lights that illuminate the surrounding water. 

And because it’s often a quiet hour with little conversation, your senses are heightened as you listen to the gentle slosh of water and watch small fish darting through the lights. Pay close attention and you might even see stingrays in the shallows beneath your board.
https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2022-06-24/stand-up-paddle-boarding-sup-glow-newport-beach

A group paddles at night on stand-up paddleboards that glow
Vote for the other candidate

Replies

• MontgomeryMarkMontgomeryMark AlabamaPosts: 196 Deckhand
    Those things are getting like jet skis.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 21,769 Moderator
    Seems like they would run some type of recognition lights in addition to the underwater lighting. 

I can see some drunken idiot coming around the corner in a **** boat running wide open. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 21,880 AG
    That looks like it would be a lot of fun... till you start to see some **** fish circling your board. ;)

Are underwater lights legal?  What about those blue ones?
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,878 AG
    Yes blue under water are legal as are blue cockpit lights, blue flashing lights are  not 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 2,805 Captain
    Must be tough drinking beer on one of those things. Maybe a seat, cooler , rod holder , and a trolling motor and I’m in. 
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 1,305 Officer
    If I can do this for more than ten seconds, am I going to live longer?
    Seriously, looks like a blast, would like to try it some time.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 21,880 AG
    Tony Roma said:
    Must be tough drinking beer on one of those things. Maybe a seat, cooler , rod holder , and a trolling motor and I’m in. 

Just throw a drink holder on the handle bars and youre good to go.

httpswwwkayaksandpaddlescoukcanoekayakukshopproductpageshobie-kayakshobie-kayak-imageseclipse-solar-yellow-ljpg

• dave44dave44 Posts: 17,586 AG
    Tony Roma said:

Just throw a drink holder on the handle bars and youre good to go.

httpswwwkayaksandpaddlescoukcanoekayakukshopproductpageshobie-kayakshobie-kayak-imageseclipse-solar-yellow-ljpg

Pretty neat contraption right there.
        How well do those brakes work? I guess you have to be careful about hitting that front brake too hard!
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,423 AG
    Seems like the perfect light attraction for sharks.  

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 642 Officer
    Tony Roma said:
    Must be tough drinking beer on one of those things.
    Accessories sold separately.

Don't forget your PFD.
    12-Pack Beer Drinking Vest By EZ Drinker Black and Camo

Play Games...
    China Funny Drinking Hard Hat Helme Dual Cans Holder Drinking Straw Cap -  China Drinking Hat and Drinking Cap price

• AaronCannonAaronCannon Pinellas County Posts: 1,012 Officer
    Gardawg said:
    I've had u/w lights on my kayak for years.  I wear two head lights so I can be seen by others.  I stay on the flats behind my house so boats are not much of a problem. 

Yeah, you can see a whole lot at night.  Drifting is great. Put the paddle in the holder and just sit and watch as you drift along.  

Some moonless nights the sky will be clear except for the electric storm out on the Gulf Stream.  It's kinda surreal watching it all go on. 

Have a link to the lights? 12v or smaller battery?
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 15,154 AG
    LOL ... I tied two dive lights to a strap then  positioned them underwater and tied the ends to some eyebolts I have on top of the kayak. 

Took about 5 minutes. 

I'm a graduate of the KISS school.

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,424 AG
    Gardawg said:
    LOL ... I tied two dive lights to a strap then  positioned them underwater and tied the ends to some eyebolts I have on top of the kayak. 

Took about 5 minutes. 

I'm a graduate of the KISS school.

Too bad you can't stand up in the Yak and go bullynetting.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

don't need to stand ... just need good balance and coordination

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,335 Admiral
    I'm not getting the same giddy feeling about any of this like some of you. Seems like a bigger pain in the donkey than it's worth to me,  but hey,  knock yourselves out having fun with it. 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 17,586 AG
    That reminds me, we need to sell our paddle boards. 
    Big Mak said:
    I'm not getting the same giddy feeling about any of this like some of you. Seems like a bigger pain in the donkey than it's worth to me,  but hey,  knock yourselves out having fun with it. 

I feel the same way about golf.

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,335 Admiral
    Gardawg said:
    Big Mak said:

I feel the same way about golf.

So do I. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,188 Captain
    Yep - no longer a paddle boarder. 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 3,156 Captain
    What gets me is I see people on their paddle boards paddling down a creek with no PFD. They fall off their board and with current ripping I wonder if they could cath up with their board.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 21,769 Moderator
    I had 2 friends drown on the Chattooga. Anyone not wearing a PFD are nuts. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

If someone doesn't want to wear a PFD that's OK with me.

BUT when they take kids without a PFD that makes me disgusted and angry.

Like the Haulover vids ... kids in the bow with out PFDs and the skipper is stuffing the waves.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,424 AG
    I had 2 friends drown on the Chattooga. Anyone not wearing a PFD are nuts. 
    Went whitewater rafting there once. Had a blast. Fortunately I stayed in the raft although I almost fell in a few times.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

edited July 16 #26
    Still keeping it simple.
    That kid is 17, she sits on her pfd. 
    What are your kids doing at 1:47 on a friday night?
    Depends on the tide.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • MontgomeryMarkMontgomeryMark AlabamaPosts: 196 Deckhand
    Pretty bright for 1:47 am
    edited July 19 #28
    S22, no flash. Nearly full moon, behind some clouds. I'm impressed by the camera too.
    Jeff Cooper