Skip to main content
Home Boating

Shipping Outboards

gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,354 Captain
As I've said earlier, I've decided to abandon most of my stuff in storage in NM.  My buddy there who's shipped a few things to me is going to go back soon and spend a day there, with frequent calls to me to choose what I'll finally have sent, such as my old family and lifetime photos, my Nikon D300s camera and etc. 

What's left, I'll gift to him for helping out so much - mainly a full workshop of tools and power tools that he can really use.  He doesn't need my full houseful of furniture.  What he doesn't want, the storage facility is very happy to put up for auction. 

I hope I never meet the owner of S & M Relo face to face.  There would be extreme violence - at the very least I'd club that s.o.b. to the floor.....and I really don't want to go to prison for shooting him.  His entire staff was in on it, too, right from the get-go.  How do those people sleep at night ??

With what I learned later from the great people at the storage facility is that the movers never had any intention, ever, of delivering my stuff to Florida.  It went straight from my house to the storage facility in Las Cruces.  It' s a small miracle that the lady went into the abandoned locker and found my number on...something and called me.

Anyway, I know this has been discussed in the past, but can't remember details:  I have 2 outboard motors there, both crated for shipping and ready to go....but is it worth it ??

#1 is my 2000 model Tohatsu 50 hp LPDI 2 stroke motor with all controls and push-pull steering setup.  It's got something around 800 hours on it.  Compression is a bit low at 90 on all 3 cylinders, but that could be the tester I was using, too.  It runs great with no smoke and is quiet and economical.  ('course, it hasn't been started in 6 or 7 years)

#2 is the 2006 Yamaha 4 stroke 8 hp electric start, low geared, hi thrust kicker motor that I bought for security on my long, lonesome runs into far back country back in the day.  I ran it from time to time on the boat to keep it in good shape, but I doubt if it's got 25 hours on it.

Is it worth shipping them and if so, what's the best way to go about it ??  I expect something on the order of $350 each for shipping....but which shipper ??  I'm - understandably - very spooky about shipping at this point.

Replies

• altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 1,280 Officer
    Go, make friends with a local business that receives freight and ask what they would charge to receive them, unload them with forklift and load them in your truck.

Ask your buddy to palletize them and ship them on a freight hauler.
    May take a couple of weeks, but you would stand a better chance of getting them.

No idea what the cost would be.