Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Is Early teal season worth it?

Duck_Slam123Duck_Slam123 South Florida Posts: 62 Deckhand
So I got “lucky” and I say lucky in quotations because I’m not sure anymore and I got quotas 2 years in a row for early teal and wooduck. Once on opening day at at A1-FEB and another halfway through at one of the STA and both years got skunked. Now I’m still pretty new to the game so I fully accept the fact that it’s me and I just don’t know what I’m doing but I wasn’t the only one skunked. Plenty of guys made it back to the boat ramp empty handed. One older gentleman last year on A1 came back with one blue wing and said “Birds ain’t down here yet.” Then he left while me and my buddy went out again in the afternoon with no luck. Plenty of BBWs and Mottled ducks flew over and into our spread all day long but no teal. 
Coming up on the last few years of college I do a lot of research on the marshes and sometimes that includes my favorite which is waterfowl and I just don’t think the birds are here in early season. I think November depending on how cold it is up north is when the majority of birds come down. I know because we started counting and surveying  plenty of ring necks, teal, blue bulls and etc. when I came down for thanksgiving there were large amounts of birds flying over  A1 while I had no permit. I even shot my first wigeon around this time. Then in December and January  is when I saw more birds and shot more birds consistently. Mostly teal but that’s just fine. 
So my question to you good people on this forum is do you think it’s worth applying for an early season quota? Or has it just been bad years? Please call me out if I’m just a newbie and I don’t know what I’m doing to if you think so.
-Thank you Jay

Replies

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 2,111 Captain
    Teal season on a popular public spot about 25 years ago. Every early season is hit or miss.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,963 Captain

Some days are better than others. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,300 Admiral
    Teal... it's what's for dinner. 
    Big Mak said:
    Teal... it's what's for dinner. 
    Yes and they look just like that during teal season in the super secret honey holes. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,450 Captain
    The STAs arent what they used to be and have declined significantly in the last 5-8 years.  That can be said for duck hunting in most of Florida. But, they can show up and you cant shoot em sittin on the couch. Scout close to the season and see if it looks promising. There are other areas that might hold resident Wood Ducks too.
    Pinman said:
    The STAs arent what they used to be and have declined significantly in the last 5-8 years.  That can be said for duck hunting in most of Florida. But, they can show up and you cant shoot em sittin on the couch. Scout close to the season and see if it looks promising. There are other areas that might hold resident Wood Ducks too.
    The birds being hunted in early teal are all passing through going to somewhere between Cuba and Venezuela. the fact the stas are not bird habitat just concentrates them that much more.  You just have to find where they are going.  I dont hunt early teal anymore, too much deer and pig hunting options.
    When the STAs had topped out football fields of Hydrilla early season was crazy. Other areas had birds too.  Seemed liked they lingered a while but now there is nothing to hold them here for even a day. 
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 2,111 Captain
    Much prettier in January, and it’s not 100 degrees!.. Deer hunting under a shaded canopy for me in September.
  • Duck_Slam123Duck_Slam123 South Florida Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Much prettier in January, and it’s not 100 degrees!.. Deer hunting under a shaded canopy for me in September.
    I agree I remember when I first got int duck hunting again it was MLK weekend. I went one day got skunked and then again that Monday and two drakes landing in my four decoys in the middle of the marsh. That was the most exciting duck hunt only second to when my uncle took me when I was 9.
    I agree I remember when I first got int duck hunting again it was MLK weekend. I went one day got skunked and then again that Monday and two drakes landing in my four decoys in the middle of the marsh. That was the most exciting duck hunt only second to when my uncle took me when I was 9.
    Duck hunting was my passion for pretty much the past 44 years.  Maaannn do I have stories...
    Pinman said:
    Duck hunting was my passion for pretty much the past 44 years.  Maaannn do I have stories...
    Yep... it's a shame to see how it has evolved. 
    Big Mak said:
    Pinman said:
    Well, except for pinman, there is always deer hunting. 
    H20dad said:
    Big Mak said:
    Pinman said:
    Meh.  Even when my Dad managed 6000 acres of citrus and 3000 acres of woods in North Central Palm Beach County I didnt care about Deer hunting much. Id drop my HS friends off on a stand then go sleep in my Ramcharger. I did have couple of good English Pointers while in HS and that was a lot of fun chasin Bob. Im still lukewarm on Deer hunting....
    You just need a target rich environment. 
    Big Mak said:
    You just need a target rich environment. 
    That used to be ducks.....
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 681 Officer
    duck slam. South Florida usually won’t get many teal for early teal. Central and north Florida will see them before we do. There has to be a lot of cold air a couple weeks before opener to push the birds down here. I always pass early teal for other things 
    Yep, and doves... and Buffalo and passenger pigeons.
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Big Mak said:
    Pinman said:
    Meh.  Even when my Dad managed 6000 acres of citrus and 3000 acres of woods in North Central Palm Beach County I didnt care about Deer hunting much. Id drop my HS friends off on a stand then go sleep in my Ramcharger. I did have couple of good English Pointers while in HS and that was a lot of fun chasin Bob. Im still lukewarm on Deer hunting....
    You don’t need to embellish that you are old, we believe you. 
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Big Mak said:
    Pinman said:
    I am older than dirt and 3rd Gen Cracker.....
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Big Mak said:
    Pinman said:
    You left out, can’t kill a deer even when I try. Does cracker have no requirements for entry, figured you might disqualify yourself or something. 
    edited June 26 #22
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Big Mak said:
    Pinman said:
    You left out, can’t kill a deer even when I try. Does cracker have no requirements for entry, figured you might disqualify yourself or something. 
    Well "you" (I) keep trying and maybe "I" (me? idk ****)  kill a Deer? English man!  Do they fill the Nitrous bottles on Saturdays? 
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Big Mak said:
    Pinman said:
    Well "you" (I) keep trying and maybe "I" (me? idk ****)  kill a Deer? English man!  Do they fill the Nitrous bottles on Saturdays? 
    See, there you go. Does a real cracker correct grammar?  Are you like that character Hank Hill that claims to be Texan but was born in New York City?  
    I’m beginning to think you are a faux cracker like a fig Newton or some other fruity object that tries to trick people into thinking it’s a cracker. 
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Big Mak said:
    Pinman said:
    See, there you go. Does a real cracker correct grammar?  Are you like that character Hank Hill that claims to be Texan but was born in New York City?  

Looks kinda fruity to me. 
    edited June 26 #27
    ...apologies to duck_slam123.
    This one’s for duck slam and pinman