Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Chicago Loses Another HQ to Miami

restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,892 Captain
I'm sure BT will be here to tell us that companies aren't going to CONTINUE to move to Florida because of politics, and I'm sure the unsophisticated and not very intelligent Mr. Griffin would agree:

After years of threatening to move his business from Chicago, Illinois’ richest man has made it official, with Ken Griffin telling employees of Citadel that the massive hedge fund is moving its headquarters to Miami.

In a note to employees Thursday, the billionaire said the global headquarters will move to a new property in Brickell Bay, which he described as Miami’s financial district. Citadel has been based in Chicago since Griffin started the company in 1990

Citadel’s move includes the headquarters of the hedge fund and a separate business, market maker Citadel Securities.

It’s another blow to Chicago’s corporate roster, which recently lost Boeing’s headquarters in a move from the Loop business district to Arlington, Virginia. Chicago’s northern suburbs are losing the head office of heavy machinery giant Caterpillar, which is leaving Deerfield, Illinois, for Irving, Texas. Griffin also joins CEOs in other major cities such as New York that have complained that their workers don't feel safe from crime.

Replies

• supratentorialsupratentorial FLPosts: 2,412 Captain
    edited June 24 #2
    Crime waaaay up, Chicago a "global financial center" with a BBB- rating (one notch above junk)...so predictable.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 17,564 AG
    Has anyone told them they don’t like groomers in Florida?

Maybe that would change their minds.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 21,690 Moderator
    Everybody is a groomer. Including you and me. 

Just a new buzzword.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

California is experiencing it also. 

"Elon Musk may have founded most of his companies in California, but he’s become increasingly critical of the state as a place to do business."

"“California used to be the land of opportunity,” Musk told the audience. However it’s turned into “the land of taxes, overregulation and litigation and this is not a good situation.”

"Musk became increasingly critical of the state as Tesla ramped up its production facilities. He famously built the first so-called gigafactory in neighboring Nevada, after winning generous tax concessions from that state. He went on to build facilities in Shanghai and near Berlin. But when the time came for a new U.S. factory, Musk opted for Texas."

https://www.thestreet.com/technology/elon-musk-says-three-things-are-ruining-california

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

edited June 24 #6

Just a new buzzword.
      I find it funny when you decide what a buzzword is and when you decide it isn’t. 

Really, funny isn’t the right word, is it.

And I’m very sorry I didn’t put the smiley face on that post.

Here ya go.
    😏
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 29,149 AG
    Musk had a feud with CA, after failing to shut down the Tesla plant during the coronavirus
    pandemic.   
    Vote for the other candidate
    dave44 said:

Just a new buzzword.
      I find it funny when you decide what a buzzword is and when you decide it isn’t. 

buzz·word
    /ˈbəzˌwərd/
    noun
    INFORMAL
    1. a word or phrase, often an item of jargon, that is fashionable at a particular time or in a particular context.
    Would you care to clarify your thoughts on "buzzword" status? 

I find it funny when adults on both sides latch onto certain words in an attempt to disparage others. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

dave44 said:

Just a new buzzword.

buzz·word
    /ˈbəzˌwərd/
    noun
    INFORMAL
    1. a word or phrase, often an item of jargon, that is fashionable at a particular time or in a particular context.
    Would you care to clarify your thoughts on "buzzword" status? 

I find it funny when adults on both sides latch onto certain words in an attempt to disparage others. 

I’m just trying to find a word rather than an old phrase that shows too much derision?

But, “Chester the molester”?
    dave44 said:

Just a new buzzword.

And I’m very sorry I didn’t put the smiley face on that post.

Here ya go.
    😏
    I don't need a smiley face from you to understand your intent.  :)

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 21,872 AG
    I am on the e-mailing list of businesses for sale. More of a curiosity than anything.  Over 90% of the businesses that come up for sale are in either California or Oregon.  Some in Washington State. And the rest are scattered around the country.  NONE are in Texas, Tennesee or Florida. I did set the filter to manufacturing so it is only that type but those are typically the best employers.

When you promote an agenda of punitive laws and taxes, you will reap the consequences.