Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Duck boat

Duck_Slam123Duck_Slam123 South Florida Posts: 62 Deckhand
Hello ladies and gentlemen I was given a fishing boat from my buddy of mine? It’s a 15 foot John boat decked out for bass fishing. Could I hunt with it the way it is or should I make any adjustments I also fish out of it so I don’t want to change to much about it. Or should I stick to kayak and canoe hunting marshes?
Thank you- Jay

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 10,834 AG
    I'd put a T Top with a Shooting platform on top....for them High Flyers.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • red owlred owl Posts: 712 Officer
    I'd make a cover for it that you can drape over during duck season.  Tie some weights around the edge and let the edges dip under water. Cut a slit for your body and wear camo. If you had decoy bags, etc. and put them up so as to break up the profile, seats for fishing work great as well- it works very good.  If I didn't move- have ducks fly right over me.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,330 Admiral
    You're adversary has a bird brain. They aren't that difficult to trick. Some are just a little more wary. 

At the end of the day,  they are all only looking for food and safety where they can loaf.

Throw your decoys,  pull your boat into the grass, bend some grass over the boat, sit still, and shoot ducks. Don't over complicate. Go forth and improve upon from there. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,456 Captain
    edited June 23 #6
    Would be good if the boat is green or brown. I wouldnt sit in bass seats elevated on a deck. Take those out for duck hunting and sit low. Some people mount PVC along the length of the gunnel then drill holes to drop Palmetto fronds in for a blind. Fronds off a tree not the small ones off bushes. If its an outboard and your operating it in weeds keep an eye on the water pump outlet to make sure cooling water isnt clogged by the weeds. Wear a PFD while underway always. I have 2 tragic and 1 near miss stories I could tell you if you arent convinced. Be safe, have fun!