Skip to main content
Home Boating

Side Console to Center Console

MondayReelsMondayReels Posts: 2 Greenhorn
I recently picked up a Key West 1500 Explorer (side console). The side console is screwed to the deck and independent of the rest of the boat, not molded in. What issues would I run in to if I moved it to the center position??

I know I will need to address cable length with steering, throttle and shift, as well as electrical. Currently all the cable and wiring runs out of the side of the console, over the deck, and through a hole under the bench seat to the battery compartment and on to the motor. Would I be asking for problems routing electrical through the deck?

Has anyone done this and have pictures, and anything you would do differently?

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,690 Captain
    I posted a reply over on microskiff. com
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 425 Deckhand
    Personally I would leave it on the side. If you do move it to the center, I would leave the cables and wiring on top of the floor and cover it with a heavy trim piece.
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,373 Captain
    Side consoles give more usable room, but my big grumble with them is balance.  Boat is always tipped to the right when under way and it drives me nuts.  Then again, I'm always alone on board.  I like them to run level.  Even the Dustbuster that I loved so much had the console offset to the right by the original builder - about 1/3 of the way from the right side. 

Fine, it gave easier access around the left side (pardon me, port side) but I found myself leaning left to try and balance it out.

The boat did have adjustable trim tabs (wrench adjustable) but tipping the st'b'd one down enuf to balance the boat at speed caused enuf drag to slow me down by about 2mph.  I lived with the lean.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,369 Officer
    edited June 15 #6
    Make sure the front mounting screws will be clear of the gas tank.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,510 Moderator
    Leavre it where it is, store your tackle and cooler under the port side under the seat, install electric or hydrolic trim tabs if not already there.  You will be fine.  I'd not worry about go's 2mph loss
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,373 Captain
    Yah, but when your boat only cruises at 22 mph, that 2 mph is noticeable.