Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Amelia Island fly fishing

mrl0004mrl0004 Posts: 46 Deckhand
I will be on Amelia Island for the week. Are there any fly fishing options? 
On the water or in the woods.......

Replies

• aqualifeaqualife JupiterPosts: 77 Deckhand
    Rent a kayak at Amelia island kayak. Fish Simpson creek. 
  • mrl0004mrl0004 Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Thanks! I haven’t been here in a while and several years ago I fished with Kayak Amelia in that area. May do that again. Curious if surf fishing with a fly rod is possible and what I might catch. 
    On the water or in the woods.......
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 402 Deckhand
    If youre on the Plantation golf course the bass fishing looks good.  Pecks Poppers and olive colored baitfish patterns should work. I vaguely  remember there might be juvie tarpon as well.
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 402 Deckhand
    Also found this on web:
    Surf fishing is popular for those that don't have a boat or a lot of time to committ. Just grab your rod & reel, a cooler of bait and head to the beach. One of the more popular beaches to surf fish along the Atlantic shoreline and St. Marys Inlet is at FORT CLINCH STATE PARK.

The jetties on the beach near the fort, are perfect for catching flounder, sheepshead and speckled trout. The best bait to use here are shrimp, mud minnows, squid, finger mullet or lures. Baby and smaller sharks can be caught here as well using cut bait. Forget any gear or bait? No problem. The State Park's visitor center offers a small variety of fishing tackle and bait available for purchase. 
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,682 Captain
    Caught my first ever snook on fly there. As long as the water is clean like the photo you'll see lots. Just don't hook any swimmers as the snook are right there among them. Some big ones too. Getting them to hit can be a challenge though. That one was just off the sand in 12"

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,682 Captain
    Let us know how you did.