Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

St. Johns County - Gator

florida_goldflorida_gold central floridaPosts: 4 Greenhorn
Good day my fellow gator hunters.  I'm in the Orlando area and I got tags for St. Johns county for 8583.  I missed phase 1 but that's ok due to work being super busy.  I was hoping a little bit closer to home, but I'm happy I finally got them this year.  Looking for some guides up in that neck of the woods.  Thanks in advance...

Replies

• bswivbswiv Posts: 8,343 Admiral
    You're not going to like what I am going to suggest. 

But........as I am typing this while looking out my back window at the St. Johns River, in St. Johns County, and as I've lived on this river for near on 40 years, and chassed gators both on it and on the surrounding waters for 25+ years......know that I am doing you a kindness by telling you this.

Do not run more money down the same hole that your permit fee went down.

Seriously.......honestly.......sure, you may get LUCKY........but do consider why you were able to get permits in Phase II in this area.

I could go on.

And you may prove me wrong.

And yes, a 4-7 footer is not out of the question.......and that size eats the best and has the prettiest skins........but......the odds say that this is good money after bad.

Use it to go fishing!
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,976 Captain
    Fwc issues permits where there are no gators and issues next to none where you can go look at 100 over 10 feet long while you hunt deer during gator season. It’s infuriating. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,456 Captain
    IDK  If I paid for a tag like the OP did Id still go.  Wouldnt pay for a guide based on advice from BSWIV but Id try to snag the first tasty tender 4 footer plus I came across.  You already paid for a tag, go have fun. 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,343 Admiral
    Pinman said:
    IDK  If I paid for a tag like the OP did Id still go.  Wouldnt pay for a guide based on advice from BSWIV but Id try to snag the first tasty tender 4 footer plus I came across.  You already paid for a tag, go have fun. 
    This makes more sense than a guide, a lot more.
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 842 Officer
    I do not gator hunt and have no skin in this game. My first thought was..... where was this warning before money was spent?
  • florida_goldflorida_gold central floridaPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    bswiv said:

But........as I am typing this while looking out my back window at the St. Johns River, in St. Johns County, and as I've lived on this river for near on 40 years, and chassed gators both on it and on the surrounding waters for 25+ years......know that I am doing you a kindness by telling you this.

Seriously.......honestly.......sure, you may get LUCKY........but do consider why you were able to get permits in Phase II in this area.

I could go on.

And yes, a 4-7 footer is not out of the question.......and that size eats the best and has the prettiest skins........but......the odds say that this is good money after bad.

Use it to go fishing!
    Thanks for the reply bswiv...I was really hoping for something closer to home.  It's a lottery so I would hope subjectiveness would not be a basis of selection or locale as part of the equation.  I've lived in Jax but I'm not familiar w/the St. Johns that far south.  I've already spent the money so I will go.  Just looking for a guide to help that is familiar w/the waters and the hunt in that area.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,456 Captain
    edited June 9 #8
    bswiv said:

I could go on.

Use it to go fishing!
    Thanks for the reply bswiv...I was really hoping for something closer to home.  It's a lottery so I would hope subjectiveness would not be a basis of selection or locale as part of the equation.  I've lived in Jax but I'm not familiar w/the St. Johns that far south.  I've already spent the money so I will go.  Just looking for a guide to help that is familiar w/the waters and the hunt in that area.
    Do you have a boat? If so get down there and look around. Fish while you are scouting. Camp out. Have fun. Jax is not that far from St Johns County. Boys from Jax used to and still do duck hunt Merritt Island and do dang good because they know the area. A lot of the satisfaction in hunting is knowing you can do it yourself. It took me 4 years to bag my first Spring Gobbler and I did it without any guiding but with some good advice and learning by doing. Theres Gators in every body of water in FL....they are out there...dont eat "tag soup"....get out and find them! Go!!!
  • florida_goldflorida_gold central floridaPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Pinman said:
    bswiv said:

I could go on.

Use it to go fishing!
    Do you have a boat? If so get down there and look around. Fish while you are scouting. Camp out. Have fun. Jax is not that far from St Johns County. Boys from Jax used to and still do duck hunt Merritt Island and do dang good because they know the area. A lot of the satisfaction in hunting is knowing you can do it yourself. It took me 4 years to bag my first Spring Gobbler and I did it without any guiding but with some good advice and learning by doing. Theres Gators in every body of water in FL....they are out there...dont eat "tag soup"....get out and find them! Go!!!
    That's awesome pinman...appreciate your tenacity and your spirit.  It is contagious.  Unfortunately I don't have a boat...yet.  Gaming the market until our fearless leader is de-throned and we get back to a steady-state economy and I can afford what I want to buy. Definitely a great idea in getting out there and reconning the area.  Just not in a position in doing that right now.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,692 Captain
    We might all be broke before that happens.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• ammit308ammit308 LakelandPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    The fwc publishes where gators were harvested last year.  They also list where you can hunt legally with county tags.  Not the best system.  I've got orange county tags and have researched this alot.  I have gear but no boat.  A buddy of mine has been dieing to go gator hunting and I'd providing the boat.  Pending the times pm me and I might be able to bring the gear if you can get a boat.  Hell I know a guy in Texas who shore fishes gator.  He got a ten footer this year.