Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Shooting at Texas Elementary School

Replies

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,645 Captain
    Mango, If kids were being shot, I’d go in with a knife if I needed to. Guess you’d drag up a lawn chair and holster your six guns and wait him out. 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 18,379 AG
    edited May 27 #153
    swampdog said:
    Mango, If kids were being shot, I’d go in with a knife if I needed to. Guess you’d drag up a lawn chair and holster your six guns and wait him out. 
      I think the point was.. you would, I would, I’m sure Mango would. 

It’s a sad week in Uvalde, but we still don’t know their training. 

Personally, I feel I would have risked my life and job and gone in there, (assuming that their orders were to wait for swat or whatever).

But I haven’t been in that situation, not even close, so I can’t say with absolute certitude.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 24,013 Moderator
    dave44 said:
    swampdog said:
      I think the point was.. you would, I would, I’m sure Mango would. 

It’s a sad week in Uvalde, but we still don’t know their training. 

Personally, I feel I would have risked my life and job and gone in there, (assuming that their orders were to wait for swat or whatever).

But I haven’t been in that situation, not even close, so I can’t say with absolute certitude.
    So very true.

No one really knows until confronted with the situation. I've seen guys do things I never would of expected from them. I've also seen some I expected to do certain things but didn't. You just don't know.

I would like to think I would look for anything I could use as a weapon or a distraction. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,685 Admiral
    Not a solution by any means, but firstly, lock your **** doors! All of them. 

Secondly, I have no problem seeing a campus cop, preferably a discharged veteran, standing patrol with a long gun at my kids schools. 

Thirdly, there must be a way to proactively identify these whack jobs sooner, and when the red flags pop up they should be scrutinized immediately. I know there are budgeting constraints with surveillance measures but there are ways to ferret most of these vermin out. We already do this with other weirdos and kook groups. In almost every case there is a footprint that leads up to this sort of behavior and it is most often ignored. 

Lastly, you can't accurately call into judgment what transpired on the scene. None of us yet know the full details, and days have passed since the horror. 

I would like to think I would have acted with bravery confronting a tragedy like this, but like Ferris said earlier, you just never know what a man will actually do during a time of stressful desperation. It's a whole lot easier to armchair QB than it is to tackle something head on. Unless you're a battle proven combat veteran there's a pretty good chance you're going to soil your shorts as you're running for cover.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,570 AG
    Yes. And to try to hold someone accountable without knowing the story is BS.

But it's really easy to point fingers...ain't that right Tex!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,570 AG
    And Dave, the last paragraph is so true. We'd like to think We'd know how We'd react but we dont know.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 29,610 AG
    Mango Man said:

The entire story is unraveling, stay tuned.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 16,034 AG
    When the Texas Tower sniper started his rampage at UT there were so many civilians shooting back that the police were going to gun stores and getting them ammo. Telling them 'shoot to kill'. The civilians had rifles and the police didn't. 

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 16,034 AG
    Or provide the police with rifles ...

which is what they did. 

By the way.  It was the police who stopped the shooter.  After they got the civilians to stop shooting so they could approach the guy.

BTW ... the shooter was ... A Florida Man !
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,519 Captain
    Well now even the cops are admitting they screwed up by not going in much earlier. 

So much for all the "well you weren't there so you don't know" BS. 

I thought cops bravely put their lives on the line everyday....
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 6,852 Admiral
    edited May 27 #162
    Fortifying the schools is an unrealistic, counter productive, an ineffective proposed solution. Excepting common sense security measures.

The world is full of soft targets, many full of children. Parks, church, fairs, the mall, beach, etc..., are they going to propose armor cladding, bullet proof windows, and a machine gunner in a turret on top of every yellow school bus?
      The Softest targets are gun free zones. 

It looked like there were some well armed fed officers hanging around. 
        I would like to know their orders now that the locals admitted their mistakes.
    dave44 said:

Too bad those 4th and 5th grades were not carrying.
    Mango Man said:

Have you figured out what happened yet? 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 11,296 AG
    I have...A Bunch of folks screwed up...But it's the AR's Fault.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 8,628 Admiral
    edited May 28 #168
     Tired of people acting like Texas law enforcement didn't spring into action to save those children. They armored up and brought
    out the MRAP and went in there ready for battle. Oh wait. This was what they did to a bar that tried to serve some beer during COVID lockdowns 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 42,596 AG
    dave44 said:
    Did you link a picture?

They look upset in the photo, it didn't seem crazy. For a guy who wants his rights protected, you sure don't want anyone else to have any. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• team_getterdunteam_getterdun TampaPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:

That would've be awesome, or if the teacher was carrying to at least given them a fighting chance! 

Well, this just happened yesterday ... https://www.fox13news.com/news/woman-killed-man-fired-rifle-crowd  
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:

That would've be awesome, or if the teacher was carrying to at least given them a fighting chance! 

Well, this just happened yesterday ... https://www.fox13news.com/news/woman-killed-man-fired-rifle-crowd  
    What makes you think teachers want or will agree to be armed?
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 3,503 Captain
    Some teachers already have agreed to be armed. I think I remember an initiative after the parkland shooting. 
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    Did you link a picture?

They look upset in the photo, it didn't seem crazy. For a guy who wants his rights protected, you sure don't want anyone else to have any. 
    I hate to point out how wrong you are every time you assUme something, but.

I love that your people are acting like fools every time you send them out.  It’s easier to delineate the lunatics from the normal people that way.
       I posted a Twitter video that didn’t work here, you can do it too if you wanted to.
    Speculation.
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:

Are you saying a single person aiming a gun works better than an AR spray?

Who’d a thunk it?
    edited May 28 #176
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    Did you link a picture?

I love that your people are acting like fools every time you send them out.  It’s easier to delineate the lunatics from the normal people that way.
       I posted a Twitter video that didn’t work here, you can do it too if you wanted to.
    Who are my people? You seem to be assuming and wrong also. Are those people lifetime NRA members? 

Post the link to the video and not the photo. You seem really upset about them exercising their right to protest. Doesn't seem like you respect their rights, but want everyone to respect yours. 

As much as I want my 2nd amendment right protected, I believe they have their 1st amendment right to protest You do not appear to respect their rights by your tone, You are as bad as the antigun people who call us gun nuts because we own guns. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

edited May 28 #177
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    Did you link a picture?

Who are my people? You seem to be assuming and wrong also. Are those people lifetime NRA members? 

Post the link to the video and not the photo. You seem really upset about them exercising their right to protest. Doesn't seem like you respect their rights, but want everyone to respect yours. 

As much as I want my 2nd amendment right protected, I believe they have their 1st amendment right to protest You do not appear to respect their rights by your tone, You are as bad as the antigun people who call us gun nuts because we own guns. 
       I really won’t read your long version of an excuse, but when you say I’m trying to stop someone’s rights by pointing out their stupidity, you’ll  get pushback, unfortunately for you and them, the first amendment works both ways.
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 6,852 Admiral
    Mister-Jr said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:

What makes you think teachers want or will agree to be armed?
    The same people who want to arm teachers, are the ones labeling them groomers last month.

So forgive me if I'm skeptical of their motives.
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    Did you link a picture?

Same reason they push back on our rights to buy certain guns. Instead of belittling each other, try to find a common ground to solve the problem. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

• joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 2,090 Captain
    Tony Roma said:
     Why are teenage white kids more prone to go on shooting rampages? 
    That’s pretty racist. You didn’t even know that the shooter was white, you just jumped into stereotyping. Of course it would be a huge deal if someone else said something like “why are black kids so much more likely to shoot up a school” but since it is white racism it is acceptable. Carry on.
    Even worse than that, the wacko wasn’t white. That’s why I made the comment I did. But Tony is showing that he’s already dug in and not open to a rational discussion about how to fix what’s broken with people who carry out acts like this. 
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 2,090 Captain
    cadman said:
    Folks.. This is So solvable..
    Mental Hospitals with Long term Commitments. 
    Screening thru out life for PROVEN Mental problems.
    The problem is we as a country don't have the Cojones to do that.
    We Are The World and all that.
    Actually, the problem is, we don't have the budget for that. It is costly to keep someone in a mental hospital their entire lives with guards and doctors and medical staff. We have so few mental facilities these days because nobody wants to pay for them. 

I do agree that a bg par tof the issue is to increase spending on treatment of mental illness and quit ignoring the signs that are out there. 

Also,
    another part of the problem is the media coverage these shootings get. The next nut job wants his 15 minutes of fame on the way. He sees this guy's name plastered all over the internet and talked about. He figures he can get the same fame if he shoots a few more than the last guy. 

If people were open to really working to figure out what the causes of the problem are and then addressing those causes, rather than continuing to use the problem as a wedge issue, it might come off as being genuine. Instead, people want to know why we can’t just keep the guns out of the hands of the crazy white XYZ’s. The problem is much bigger than that.

I don’t disagree with your last statement. I doubt anyone would. The gun control nuts always want to use these types of events to push for their one size fits all approach so that law abiding people are lumped in with the crazy’s and are
    forced to give up their rights unnecessarily.