Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Memorial Day Weekend

ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 23,975 Moderator
edited May 26 in Off Topic #1
Y'all be safe and enjoy the weekend. Teach your kids and grandkids what it's about.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Replies

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,644 Captain
    Amen brother! Memorial Day is sacred. Our flag will be flying for the brave men and women that gave their all in service to our still great nation. May it be a peaceful holiday weekend.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 29,608 AG
    edited May 26 #3
    God Bless them.

Vote for the other candidate

• Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 3,488 Captain
    Buddy had the honor of changing the wreath at the tomb, gave me a different perspective. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 11,288 AG
    So many young Men..So many dreams cut short , so many Lives not led.

Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,637 AG
    Gotta go see my father in law.  He was in the Navy and served in Vietnam.   My wife will make up something to put at his headstone.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 23,975 Moderator
    Don't forget to leave a penny.

"In the United States, this practice became common during the Vietnam War, due to the political divide in the country over the war. Leaving a coin was a practical way to communicate that you had visited the grave than contacting the soldier’s family, which could evolve into an uncomfortable argument over politics relating to the war. Some Vietnam veterans would leave coins as a “down payment” to buy their fallen comrades a beer or play a hand of cards when they would finally be reunited."

https://vcnewsreview.com/Content/Default/OPINION/Article/Coins-left-on-cemetery-headstones-have-meaning/-3/1223/228518?fbclid=IwAR1KP-XIOG3641Zt6JT1X0ezdimmrJol5brdLYcA20d265gKeu7r_bzPr70

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Tony Roma said:
    Buddy had the honor of changing the wreath at the tomb, gave me a different perspective. 
    That's pretty cool.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

"Be calm, smart and safe this holiday weekend"

"Memorial Day is, foremost, a day of solemn observance. It’s a day when a grateful nation honors those Americans who made the ultimate sacrifice during their military service. As a long-ago president, who was himself later killed by an assassin’s bullet, famously said of our war dead, their sacrifice is consecrated “far above our poor power to add or detract.” That point is worth our somber reflection this holiday weekend."

"As we all know, Memorial Day also marks the traditional start of summer. We hit the roads. We head to the lake. As temperatures increase, so, too, do violent crimes. Let’s celebrate, this weekend, this summer, without violence. Let’s resolve to do what we can to ensure that cooler heads prevail, even when tempers flare. Let’s allow slights to pass without repercussion. Let’s use words — and not bullets — to resolve disputes."

" Let’s relearn the fine art of walking away from heated arguments. Granted, that’s no small ask during a time when violent crime remains high and headlines chronicling bloodshed are an incessant reality. Given what we’ve endured of late — the ravages of a pandemic; an unthinkable war that has spilled over into our pocketbooks; economic rumbles marked by spiraling inflation and roller coaster stock markets — nerves are frayed. And patience is short. Let’s reacquaint ourselves with the higher angels of our nature as we go about activities this weekend and beyond."

"Let’s be safe out there, wherever we are."

"Intentional violence isn’t the only cause of injury and death, particularly during the holiday season. Let’s leave the cellphones in the car cradles and keep our eyes and attention on the road while driving. Let’s drive defensively — not aggressively. Let’s use common sense when boating or swimming. Those who willingly gave their lives in service to America did so because they believed in the promise of this great Republic that they left to our safekeeping. Heeding prudent precautions that help preserve our lives and the lives of others is an appropriate way as well to honor the meaning of Memorial Day and our American way of life."

"Let’s pursue the safe course '

Quoted from The Atlanta Journal Constitution Editorial Board.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 16,029 AG
    I'll do my part and stay home.  

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
    A wise man.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,570 AG

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    Enoch lived a pretty long life for back then.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Gardawg said:
    I'll do my part and stay home.  

Me too.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,570 AG
    Yes he did.

That pic you posted was that of a relative?

My GGF fought in the Civil War also. He was wounded at Chancellorsville and that knocked him out of the war.

His wound eventually killed him about 10 years later...blood poisoning from the bullet still in him.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    Mango Man said:
    Yes he did.

That pic you posted was that of a relative?

My GGF fought in the Civil War also. He was wounded at Chancellorsville and that knocked him out of the war.

His wound eventually killed him about 10 years later...blood poisoning from the bullet still in him.

No relative. I was up in Dillard several Memorial Days ago and was riding around the countryside looking at cemeteries to see who was honored with flags on their graves. 

I noticed Mr. Collins had not only an American flag but also a Confederate one so, curious man that I am, I pulled over. I thought it was pretty neat especially considering the area was mostly Union oriented during the war.  

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 738 Officer
    Don't forget to leave a penny.

"In the United States, this practice became common during the Vietnam War, due to the political divide in the country over the war. Leaving a coin was a practical way to communicate that you had visited the grave than contacting the soldier’s family, which could evolve into an uncomfortable argument over politics relating to the war. Some Vietnam veterans would leave coins as a “down payment” to buy their fallen comrades a beer or play a hand of cards when they would finally be reunited."

https://vcnewsreview.com/Content/Default/OPINION/Article/Coins-left-on-cemetery-headstones-have-meaning/-3/1223/228518?fbclid=IwAR1KP-XIOG3641Zt6JT1X0ezdimmrJol5brdLYcA20d265gKeu7r_bzPr70

The tradition lives on.  We came across the Utah/Colorado state line and I pulled over to take a picture of a highway marker when I noticed some coins.

• fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 738 Officer
    Remembering today.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 10,154 AG
    Its hard to go to the Vietnam Wall with a dry eye.  Very hard.
  • NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 1,475 Officer
    I hope people/businesses put their flags at full mast today.

Seen a lot of businesses at half-staff for the kids in Texas....
  • NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Check that, I think they fly at half-staff for the past Veterans...
    Please correct me...
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Pinellas County Posts: 1,021 Officer
    Was half mast for Texan kids, we replaced it with our big one for the Vets, all the way up, halfway back down.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • lilwoodylilwoody BuladeanPosts: 1,636 Captain
    My brother.

"Those who will trade freedom for security will have neither".
    There is no more extraordinary American patriot than the one who gives up his life for his country when called to serve.

RIP
    lilwoody said:
    My brother.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

For your brother........

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)