Skip to main content
Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

What’s your favorite type of fishing?

RevJoeyFitzRevJoeyFitz North FLPosts: 206 Deckhand
Hey everyone. Just had a couple of questions to ask. 

What’s your favorite type of fishing?

What’s a type of fishing you are either interested in trying or not good at yet, but would like to improve?

I’m interested in the replies 🤙🏽

Replies

• RevJoeyFitzRevJoeyFitz North FLPosts: 206 Deckhand
    I’ll start first. 

My fav type of fishing is sheepshead fishing.They fight really well, you don’t have to go very far to catch them, regulations allow you to keep them year round, and man, they are tasty!

A type of fishing I’m looking to get into this year is long-casting from the beach for mackerel, jacks, and blues, and perhaps a tarpon, Bonita or king. One of the latter would be sweet 👍🏼
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 745 Officer
    Tarpon fishing in the ocean, looking for them on bait pods, shrimp boat bycatch, or free roaming around lively areas. 

When you finally see a few big girls up and feeding within casting range, that "it's about to happen" feeling is as exciting as anything I've experienced in the outdoors.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 2,062 Captain
    I like all kinds of fishing, and my favorite is what ever is biting that time of year. 

I will say the two types I dislike are slow trolling the beach for kings, and running the beach for cobia. I've had plenty of success doing both, but I like to have a rod in my hand, and be actively fishing. Too much down time w/ those two.
    poncedorado said: 
    Tarpon fishing in the ocean, looking for them on bait pods, shrimp boat bycatch, or free roaming around lively areas. 

When you finally see a few big girls up and feeding within casting range, that "it's about to happen" feeling is as exciting as anything I've experienced in the outdoors.
    Sounds like it could get some adrenaline pumping 😆 
  • carolinablue2carolinablue2 Jax BeachPosts: 81 Deckhand
    I like throwing artificial lures for reds, speckle trout, and hooking up on a snook or tarpon like I did on October last year!  

I have not found a type of saltwater fishing I do not like. 

I would like to learn some nearshore fishing techniques, maybe for kings near the beach.  I have not fished in the ocean in Jacksonville yet. Always learning. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,406 AG
    Being  north of Marathon. Good chum slick going, mangos steady coming over the rail.  Wife and kids having fun.  I have caught 24” trout, red grouper, sharks, you never know whats coming up in the slick.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I like any fishing but chasing rays for cobia and scalloping is tops. 
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
    Being  north of Marathon. Good chum slick going, mangos steady coming over the rail.  Wife and kids having fun.  I have caught 24” trout, red grouper, sharks, you never know whats coming up in the slick.  
    Sounds like a lot of fun! Gonna have to try that one day 
    I like any fishing but chasing rays for cobia and scalloping is tops. 
    Never chased the Cobia. Got a buddy with a nice bay boat who I might be able to talk into it 😉

Scallops are the best tasting thing in the ocean in my opinion! 
    I like throwing artificial lures for reds, speckle trout, and hooking up on a snook or tarpon like I did on October last year!  

I have not found a type of saltwater fishing I do not like. 

I would like to learn some nearshore fishing techniques, maybe for kings near the beach.  I have not fished in the ocean in Jacksonville yet. Always learning. 
    I’m with you on the saltwater fishing. It’s ruined me for fresh water. 

I think kings near the beach is the most difficult way to catch months because they’re usually the giants. Offshore at 4 or 9 mile is a lot easier, but they’re much smaller 🤷🏽‍♂️
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,163 Officer
    I like all kinds of fishing, and my favorite is what ever is biting that time of year. 

I will say the two types I dislike are slow trolling the beach for kings, and running the beach for cobia. I've had plenty of success doing both, but I like to have a rod in my hand, and be actively fishing. Too much down time w/ those two.
    I'm with you on the beach trolling...it's a last resort. I do like to put a king on the boat now and then but most of the time it's pulling mullet at 4 mile out of st aug. I used to love lures in the creeks but I find myself more and more often jigging dock pilings or jetty rocks with either lures or bait. I grew up in Crystal River bass fishing but somewhere around 10th grade I discovered salt marshes, red fish, oyster bars and cobia on the flats and the bass just couldn't keep pace with that variety. However, I took my neighbor fishing around some intercoastal docks today and put three nice flounder,  two sheeps and a nice drum in the cooler and released some short flounder and trout. This evening,  just at dark, I caught 5 bass in my retention pond. Pretty sure you could dump some goldfish in the master bathtub and I would be entertained for a good while...not sure the wife would be pleased....😃
  • windblowswindblows Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Two favorites for me are tournament redfishing (nothing can make me lose sleep the night before than a tournament) and offshore bottom fishing. But, truth be told, I would literally fish anywhere and for anything. I often wondered what I would do if I lived somewhere really cold or with few water sources...
    windblows said:
    Two favorites for me are tournament redfishing (nothing can make me lose sleep the night before than a tournament) and offshore bottom fishing. But, truth be told, I would literally fish anywhere and for anything. I often wondered what I would do if I lived somewhere really cold or with few water sources...
    I often wonder IF I could live somewhere really cold or with few water sources…

Fixed it for you 😜
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,866 Captain
    Hunting Cobia and Mahi have had my attention for several years but I really like sitting on a nice piece of bottom that produces all kinds of different species for hours on end..no matter what part of Fla... and cant wait for the 2 year old to get to that age where I can be like SodaPop and bring the wife and kiddo = livin!
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,962 Captain
    Depends on what time of year. My favorite time of year to fish is during the mullet run, sun-up, high tide, against a grass line, throwing top water for hungry trout. Love it!!!

I love sheepshead fishing in the late fall and during the spawn…hard fighters. 

I’m also a fan of reef fishing in the lower Keys for Jumbo Yellowtail. The big ones are tricky to catch and super hard to get to the boat on lighter gear….getting sharked sucks!

I would like to be able to successfully target big Muttons. 
  • Nautical wheelerNautical wheeler Posts: 94 Deckhand
    Morning Run and gun dolphin fishing weed lines in the keys, Islamorada sand bar at noon, then yellowtail reef fishing or Bridge Tarpon at night. Paradise, does not get better than that in my book.