Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Mid-Oct thru Mid Nov wade-fishing north of Tampa

StevoeStevoe PascoPosts: 2 Greenhorn
edited October 2021 in Fly Fishing #1
I'm new to this fishery and want to do some surf-fishing or flats-fishing with a 9-weight.  Visiting my Mom from Oregon for month.

What are my best bets?

Fred Howard Park
Sunset Beach
Dunedin Causeway
Honeymoon Island
Caladesi Island
Anclote River Park
Anclote Gulf Park

BTW, check out some of the great saltwater flies from orvis.com like the surf candy!

Also, any recommendations for FF guides in this area?  Should I be fishing in the bay or the Gulf with them?

Thanks

Replies

• StumpyStumpy Mansfield PondPosts: 33 Deckhand
    The east side of Honeymoon is a no motor zone popular for kayak fishing. I'm not sure if that can be accessed on foot. You might try hiking in from the north side of the island. 

Dunedin causeway has too much boat and kayak traffic for good fishing. 

Fred Howard the jet skis will be running all over.

Anclote river.....? I wouldn't 

Sunset, I've never fishe'd it

Caladesi you need a boat or kayak to get to it unless you walk from Clearwater Beach. Miles of beach fishing.
  • StevoeStevoe PascoPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Stumpy said:
    The east side of Honeymoon is a no motor zone popular for kayak fishing. I'm not sure if that can be accessed on foot. You might try hiking in from the north side of the island. 

Dunedin causeway has too much boat and kayak traffic for good fishing. 

Fred Howard the jet skis will be running all over.

Anclote river.....? I wouldn't 

Sunset, I've never fishe'd it

Caladesi you need a boat or kayak to get to it unless you walk from Clearwater Beach. Miles of beach fishing.
    That's very helpful, thanks.  Not too many options here.  May need to go further south??

I can get to Caladesi island by ferry from Honeymoon.  I think it might drop me at the centrally located dock.  I guess I can walk from there.
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 800 Officer
    You need to check out Ft. Desoto park.  IMO it is the best area for wade fishing options in the area.  Use Google Earth to choose your area of interest based on the weather forecast and tides. Quality fish are available at FDP. 
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke 
  • RiverScoutRiverScout MidwestPosts: 26 Deckhand
    Hoping to bump this. I have to be in Tampa Area for work end of February and wondered if Desoto is still worth trying to wade? Any other ideas around the area? Flies worth tying ahead of time?  I am staying in Clearwater Beach. Thank you.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,694 Captain
    I like deer hair sliders in knee deep clean water and sight fish. Exciting to those big girls come and follow the fly before slamming it.