Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Placida area/Stump Pass

Will be down in area mid-Feb, with one week with boat, and also beach fishing off LGI for week. Went with inshore charter last year, and learned basic sheepshead, inshore fishing, was fun and a good starting point.  Im DIY this year, beach fishing Im fine, but inshore running and guning around Im pretty green. Still trying to find the best cast shrimp/hook/weight setup? Hit me with some setups you use and of course pics are worth a million words! I have a few thoughts on areas to fish, but if anybody can give some general thoughts especially Stump pass and south. Shoot me an email or text if needed. email: tis(at)freeway(dot)net  text: nine89.three90.two528 or just respond here is great too! Thanks 

Replies

• DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 293 Deckhand
    edited January 18 #2
    There are a couple of ways to present shrimp and I guess its a matter of preference.  With a knocker rig the egg sinker slides right down to a 1/0 or 2/0 hook.  I thread my shrimp from the tail (tear the tail off) through the body because I think it helps with the bait stealers.  Some people hook the shrimp through the head.

Fish Finder Rig vs Knocker Rig Pros Cons amp When To Use Each Rig
    Another setup is called a fish finder rig which has a barrel swivel about 3-4 feet up the leader with the weight on the other side of that.  In my opinion if the fish are biting I go with a knocker rig but if they are being line shy or short hitting I switch to the fish finder.  I find it harder to detect bites with the fish finder.  Hope this helps!
  • dkenndkenn Boca GrandePosts: 3 Greenhorn
    Been so long that I couldn't remember my username so I had to start over.
    Anyways, best bet is tying 20 pound leader directly to line, use 2/0 hook at end of leader (no weight).
    Not sure from "run and gun" if you have a boat or not.  But there should be decent bites along Ski Alley, Rag Alley, and the flats to the south of Fishtale marina (stump pass marina) on the east side of the intercoastal (from the octangular house to the first bend in the intercoastal (there is a small channel with channel markers there).  You can add a popping cork for better trout action on that flats.
  • michimichi Posts: 11 Deckhand
    Thanks. Yes Boat. dkenn, going to have to explore, thanks for tips. Not real familiar with Ski Alley Rag Alley. But I'll find out!
  • Fisherman007Fisherman007 Tampa BayPosts: 177 Deckhand
    edited January 20 #5
    michi said:
    Will be down in area mid-Feb, with one week with boat, and also beach fishing off LGI for week. Went with inshore charter last year, and learned basic sheepshead, inshore fishing, was fun and a good starting point.  Im DIY this year, beach fishing Im fine, but inshore running and guning around Im pretty green. Still trying to find the best cast shrimp/hook/weight setup? Hit me with some setups you use and of course pics are worth a million words! I have a few thoughts on areas to fish, but if anybody can give some general thoughts especially Stump pass and south. Shoot me an email or text if needed. email: tis(at)freeway(dot)net  text: nine89.three90.two528 or just respond here is great too! Thanks 
    You paid for an inshore charter and only caught Sheepshead?  I wouldn't be happy about that.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,067 Officer
    michi said:
    You paid for an inshore charter and only caught Sheepshead?  I wouldn't be happy about that.
    lots of folks want to get a guide for some good eats in the cooler. Nothing wrong with that if it's what the customer wants.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
    Snook alley (or also called Ski Alley) is the 1st channel from the gulf beach running NORTH from Stump Pass (forms Manasota Key with the Gulf), this channel has a lot of fallen trees along the shoreline that hold snook.  Rag alley is the next channel over to the East (about 20 yards away),  You have to zig zag through this channel so be careful.
    Both Ski Alley and Rag Alley run parallel to the Gulf Beach.
  • michimichi Posts: 11 Deckhand
    Thanks dkenn. We caught sheeps, 2 redfish, and also snapper.